Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 7, 2004, 9:24 PM   #1

Default No TIFF or RAW....is it a big deal?

I am a newb...so please forgive any stupid ?'s. I see that the FZ10 does not have this capability, but the C750 does...is this a problem?

jonboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 9, 2004, 8:23 AM   #2

Having the tiff capability means being able to save uncompressed images which will be of better quality than compressed Jpegs. They will be far bigger file sizes however, and probably mean you can't take a following picture as quickly as with Jpegs, as they tend to take a longer time to be recorded onto the media card. I personally think that it's a good option to have for those occasions when you might want a picture that delivers the best image possible.
commie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2004, 8:37 AM   #3

To elaborate, while uncompressed TIFF still contains some processing. RAW is the "raw data" without any processing. It's often misunderstood since at first site it may be dark or the color balance is way off. However, RAW data can be manipulated in programs like Photoshop much easier.

RAW is not a format the average user will need or use.
Panasonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2004, 10:05 AM   #4

Ya - I was going to start a new thread: "Feature Envy". I just upgraded to Photoshop CS which - of course - after - I take delivery of the FZ10 - has a whole new set of features for handling RAW images from the camera.

I guess I disagree with Panasonic: If I'm willing to spend $600. for a 'prosumer' camera, when I could get - hmmm.. most - of its features for less elsewhere, it would seem a natural addition to the firmware. Especially, since Panasonic knew, or should have, Photoshop has these advanced features that would highly compliment their camera.

I agree your statement about the "average user"...but I wouldn't think said customer would spring for the FZ10. I bet the average digicam customer spends under $400.

I like the camera well enough, but would advise someone wanting an advanced camera - vs. the average consumer - to keep looking.

Jim
Wetstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2004, 2:39 PM   #5

I have to agree. It doesn't seem like there would be much additional expense to add a RAW/TIFF mode. If the average Joe doesn't want to shoot RAW/TIFF, he can leave it in JPEG. Whatís the point in touting a Lecia lens, then not offering a compression-free format?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetstuff
Ya - I was going to start a new thread: "Feature Envy". I just upgraded to Photoshop CS which - of course - after - I take delivery of the FZ10 - has a whole new set of features for handling RAW images from the camera.

I guess I disagree with Panasonic: If I'm willing to spend $600. for a 'prosumer' camera, when I could get - hmmm.. most - of its features for less elsewhere, it would seem a natural addition to the firmware. Especially, since Panasonic knew, or should have, Photoshop has these advanced features that would highly compliment their camera.

I agree your statement about the "average user"...but I wouldn't think said customer would spring for the FZ10. I bet the average digicam customer spends under $400.

I like the camera well enough, but would advise someone wanting an advanced camera - vs. the average consumer - to keep looking.

Jim
Guerito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2004, 4:55 PM   #6

Yeah... I think that FZx series is quite unbalanced without such common rule features as manual focus and RAW format. My FZ2 is great camera, but that can be MUCH better, if that would have powerful software inside. We all know about well promoted Venus Processor, so I think there are no any problems to load this powerfull core by more difficult and complex algorythms. But at this time we have about 50% of camera's features and flexibility (I mean manual settings and different focusing, compression modes).

Or guys in Panasonic think that "average" consumer is a simpleton who knows only how to press the button? But I think, there is "HEART" mode for such people. Or there is the problem in financing of digital camera production department? I don't believe it. Or Panasonic marketing department devide PROFESSIONALS and AMATEURS too strictly? Well, in this case Panasonic looses a lot of potential buyers, because with such advanced features as I described above, FZx series could bury many competitors (cameras of Canon, Minolta, Sony in 300-500$ range)...

Nothing personal, just my thoughts...
Irbis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2004, 1:35 AM   #7

I like my FZ10 lens but really wish Leica had been able to work with someone like Minolta or Canon to attach a real camera to it. I shoot primarily in raw mode with my Minolta and the image quality and versatility is definitely improved.

Panasonic would have to develop software to translate the raw mode but there is no reason to have not at least put a superfine JPG mode on the camera. TIFFs are impractical for a digital camera IMO. They are three times the size of raw and not as good.

They did everything cheap with the camera to keep costs down. I would have gladly paid an extra hundred bucks to have a full featured camera attached to that great lens. The EVF is terrible and Iím too lazy to list all the features that should be on that level of camera that are missing.

All that being said I donít regret the purchase, but I certainly wouldnít recommend it as a primary camera for anyone.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote