Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old May 9, 2011, 4:09 PM   #1

Default FZ-100 and FZ-40/45 owners

Maybe it is me but I do not seemed to be getting very good pictures with my FZ-100. I must admit I am also not doing well with the LX-5 either (At least Indoors without flash). My question is for those that have both the FZ-100 and the FZ-40/45. Do you prefer to use the FZ-40/45 over the FZ-100.
I haven't seen many post from LTZ-470 lately I think he moved up to a "G" series.
I am thinking of mothballing the FZ-100 and using something else. I did use the 60 shot burst mode yesterday, just playing around and that was impressive. The movie mode is also very good although I hardley use it.
Panasonic FZ-100, FZ-150, LX5, LX7, Pentax K-x & K-5, Bower Flash, FA-50 1.7,FA-100 2.8, FA-135 2.8, DA-35 2.4,DA-18-135 3.5,DA Limited 15 4, DA Limited 70 2.4, DAL 18-55, DAL 55-300, Pentax 1.7 Teleconverter, Sigma 70-200 2.8
popellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 9, 2011, 4:12 PM   #2

Location: far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the galaxy

I am planning to upgrade from my FZ40/45 to a Nikon D7000.

Quote:
Originally Posted by popellis View Post
Maybe it is me but I do not seemed to be getting very good pictures with my FZ-100. I must admit I am also not doing well with the LX-5 either (At least Indoors without flash). My question is for those that have both the FZ-100 and the FZ-40/45. Do you prefer to use the FZ-40/45 over the FZ-100.
I haven't seen many post from LTZ-470 lately I think he moved up to a "G" series.
I am thinking of mothballing the FZ-100 and using something else. I did use the 60 shot burst mode yesterday, just playing around and that was impressive. The movie mode is also very good although I hardley use it.

StefanS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2011, 2:00 AM   #3

FZ 100 is an amazing camera. See some videos on youtube on getting creative using manual mode , using shutter priority etc, just spend some more time with the camera and you will surely love it. I have posted my pictures taken wid fz100 its up for approval , i will post the link as soon as it gets approved

Last edited by vivek chandrashekar; May 11, 2011 at 2:03 AM.
vivek chandrashekar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2011, 12:41 PM   #4

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pa...rst-shots.html

here it is
Old May 15, 2011, 2:23 PM   #5

What is the price of Fz40 in India with proper company warranty ?

Many stores in India (without bill or even warranty) are selling gray market products and its difficult to get a genuine product
CrazyTechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2011, 3:37 PM   #6

@CrazyTechie buy it online from ebay. you will get genuine product+warranty its price is around Rs 19,000 now while fz100 is around Rs 25,000
Old May 15, 2011, 9:12 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek chandrashekar View Post
@CrazyTechie buy it online from ebay. you will get genuine product+warranty its price is around Rs 19,000 now while fz100 is around Rs 25,000
I was also referring to eBay.
Those sellers are giving only 1 year "Sellers Warranty".
I strongly believe Panasonic must be giving some warranty, but that is missing on ebay, India too

Again, what is the difference between Fz40 and Fz45 ???
Is it same device with different name in different region ?
Europe: Fz45 and rest of world Fz40 ?

Last edited by CrazyTechie; May 15, 2011 at 9:16 PM.
CrazyTechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2011, 11:43 PM   #8

Default Popellis

LTZ470 does have a G series and a DSLR or two, if I'm not mistaken.
I'm one of the lunatics who has both the FZ40 and FZ100. I'm not a Panasonic fan (I only own these 2 Panasonics).
They are similar enough to cut my learning curve a bit, but different enough that they each serve a purpose.
The biggest advantages for me of the FZ100 are the 11FPS speed bursts, remote shutter socket and articulating lcd screen.
I don't have extensive experience with them, but I set them both up the way LTZ470 advised:
QUOTE=LTZ470;1200413] "A" Mode for Aperture Priority...yes thats great, but for bright sun around f/4 will still give you a fast shutter speed...

Use Standard setting, set Contrast to 0...Sharpness to +2...Saturation -1...NR -1 or -2 (I like -2)

Set you Intelligent ISO to Max 200...Stabilisation to Mode 2...keep your camera very steady during and just after the shots the FZ100 is an "Advanced Point & Shoot" and takes some skill to get the best from it...[/QUOTE]

I'm not very good at holding the camera still, so I like to use a tripod with a remote shutter and the fast bursts for outdoor shots of birds, etc. especially when there's any breeze.
I've been reading photography books and they advise Aperture mode with as low an ISO as possible even for DSLR cameras, so I know LTZ470 is onto something with his advice.
For the sharpest pictures while using a tripod , turn image stabilization OFF.

What kinds of pictures are you unhappy with and why?
What settings have you been using?
Dabbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2011, 6:12 PM   #9

Quote:
What kinds of pictures are you unhappy with and why?
What settings have you been using?
Dabbler

At first My main shooting was just snaps in IA mode. They were flat and blurred, just awful shots I did better with my 6 meg FZ-20. I finally started to fiddle with the settings and using A priority mode. They still were not good by any means. I discovered today that I had it set for 9 meg picture size and raised it to 12.5 meg this seem to help get more detail and sharpness to the pictures. The FZ-40/45 pictures I see seem very sharp and colorful without all the fussing around and use of tripod. I normally take pictures at parties and events. Also like to take some scenic shots or something interesting in nature. Sunlight through trees, clouds. Stuff like that. I am trying to grow with what I shoot.
I agree the burst mode and the movie mode is amazing but I would like to be able to shoot a group in a picture and not have them all fall asleep while I figure out what settings to use and take 5 or 10 shots before I get one I like.

I have been using LTZ settings as he has inspired me with his shots, I still have not come close to what he has done.
Panasonic FZ-100, FZ-150, LX5, LX7, Pentax K-x & K-5, Bower Flash, FA-50 1.7,FA-100 2.8, FA-135 2.8, DA-35 2.4,DA-18-135 3.5,DA Limited 15 4, DA Limited 70 2.4, DAL 18-55, DAL 55-300, Pentax 1.7 Teleconverter, Sigma 70-200 2.8
popellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2011, 9:52 PM   #10

Default Does your FZ100 have the latest firmware?

Since you mentioned blurry pictures in iA, it occurred to me that your firmware might be an older version.
There were 2 updates since the camera came out.
Here's a link to the firmware updates on Panasonic's site
http://panasonic.jp/support/global/c...100/index.html
Dabbler is offline   Reply With Quote