Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old May 10, 2011, 4:59 AM   #1

Default Lumix DMC-ZS-7: dust on surface of lens unreachable

I've had this camera for about a year, but it now has dust on top of the lens. The trouble is, there is that protective glass above the lens that prevents me from getting to the lens surface to get rid of the dust. A couple of questions:

1) How much would it cost to take this to a local camera shop that may provide a cleaning service? Any experiences from anyone?

2) I've read online about taking your own vacuum cleaner to very carefully suck out the dust. Has anyone reading this post tried this solution?

Thanks for any responses.
coasteray is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 10, 2011, 8:09 AM   #2

Don't get to excited...I would first insure it isn't affecting your photos, then if not, leave it be "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"
Check this out whenever you think your lens is in poor shape:
http://kurtmunger.com/dirty_lens_articleid35.html
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2011, 9:49 AM   #3

I notice dust on my lens that may affect focus or the picture when I hold it at a certain angle to the sun using the viewfinder. Give it a try and see if you can notice the dust.

I say if you cant see the dust through the viewfinder, I doubt it will have any effect.

Another reason I like using the viewfinder.
Chris0383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2011, 2:23 PM   #4

Haha ltz that guy took it little further lol. I believe if its not a huge amount of dust it will not afect any photos. Of course everyone wants his camera clean and shinny but if it doesnt affect the photos i would say not to do anything because it may even make it worse. As ltz said leave it be and if it gets worse then take it to the shop. I dont know if there is some paragraph in the guarranty covering this ?
Old May 11, 2011, 6:57 AM   #5

Just watched Diaries of Madagascar last night on the animal planet. Although the footage was nothing short of spectacular, they had load of dust on the lens of their $40,000 camera. You could see it at one point filming the horizon and sunset.

They had no issue at all but their zooming capability was breathtaking.
Chris0383 is offline   Reply With Quote