Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old May 18, 2011, 2:24 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabbler View Post
The manual mentions not to close the flash too soon after taking a picture because it causes a malfunction.
It also mention flash not working when using Auto Bracket or Burst .
Page 68 of the advanced user manual shows details of modes where the flash is and isn't available.
If none of these things applies, then I would use Reset in the Setup menu.
Think that might be my problem, was using the flash a lot, and then closing flash soon after. Did a Reset but no luck. Cheers for the advice, worth a try.
Bumblebee65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2011, 5:50 PM   #12

Since a reset didn't work, I'd contact a Panasonic camera service center or Panasonic customer service and find out if there's anything you can do.
Maybe there's even a local camera shop that can advise you.
My guess is that it might need a hard reset, which probably involves removing the internal battery that saves the date, settings, etc. while the regular battery is out for a recharge---and sounds like it is a warranty voiding operation.
Please let us know what needed to be done after you get the camera fixed.
Dabbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2011, 6:45 PM   #13

Quote:
Since a reset didn't work, I'd contact a Panasonic camera service center or Panasonic customer service and find out if there's anything you can do.
My guess is that it might need a hard reset, which probably involves removing the internal battery that saves the date, settings, etc. while the regular battery is out for a recharge---and sounds like it is a warranty voiding operation.
Thanks Dabbler. I am in Ireland, I bought the camera online from a company in Britain. It is a FZ40, North American version, and the warranty is only for the US and Puerto Rico. Most camera shops here will charge 100 Euro just for looking at it, so might have to live without the flash. 100 Euro is almost a third of the price of a new one here.
Old May 18, 2011, 7:12 PM   #14

Quote:
Can anybody explain how to do a hard reset on this model? Cheers.
Old May 18, 2011, 9:11 PM   #15

Many thanks. Will advise if I have the problem fixed and how.
directcable9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2011, 2:04 AM   #16

Hello, I too am having this same problem with the flash. Just stopped working and havent had it long at all. If someone finds a solution please let me know thanks!
jerryandtabatha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2011, 10:06 AM   #17

Default Something you need to check

Bumblebee65, I would give Panasonic a call just to see if they can offer any advice.
In the past, some people were able to do a "hard reset" without opening up the camera. It required that several buttons were pushed and held at the same time. Sorry, but I don't know the secret button combo to press.

Jerryandtabatha
The very first thing is to check and make sure that you are in a mode where flash is usable, since it isn't available for use in every mode.
See page 68 of the advanced user manual for details.
If you are 100% certain that you're in a mode where the flash is supposed to work and you're not set for Auto Bracket or Burst, then go into the Setup menu and do a reset.
If you tried all this and it doesn't fix the problem, then it's time to call Panasonic.
Old May 19, 2011, 4:48 PM   #18

Quote:
Bumblebee65, I would give Panasonic a call just to see if they can offer any advice.
In the past, some people were able to do a "hard reset" without opening up the camera. It required that several buttons were pushed and held at the same time. Sorry, but I don't know the secret button combo to press.
Thanks for that Dabbler, I'll try to contact a dealer here, there is no Panasonic shop as such in Ireland as far as I can see.
Old May 31, 2011, 12:35 AM   #19

Just a further word on this...
If the flash is not working, setting it to "Forced Flash" will NOT activate the flash, if it is due to the camera being in a mode or using a setting where the flash is not supposed to work.
You can tell that the flash is not going to come on regardless of how you set the flash, when the Flash symbol in the upper left side of your screen displays a circle with a line through it on the flash (looks like a bent arrow or lightning bolt) symbol.
I strongly suspect that it is a problem of a non-flash setting being used, rather than a camera malfunction in at least one of these instances.
Maybe this will help someone sort out their camera problem.
Old Jun 1, 2011, 7:33 PM   #20

Quote:
Just a further word on this...
If the flash is not working, setting it to "Forced Flash" will NOT activate the flash, if it is due to the camera being in a mode or using a setting where the flash is not supposed to work.
You can tell that the flash is not going to come on regardless of how you set the flash, when the Flash symbol in the upper left side of your screen displays a circle with a line through it on the flash (looks like a bent arrow or lightning bolt) symbol.
I strongly suspect that it is a problem of a non-flash setting being used, rather than a camera malfunction in at least one of these instances.
Maybe this will help someone sort out their camera problem.
Thanks for that Dabbler. No luck here, but perhaps jerryandtabatha have faired better.