Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old May 12, 2011, 8:13 AM   #1

Default Program mode question Aparture/Shutter

Okay I've been experimenting in Program mode, and noticed that no matter what I do even if I change Aparture speed/Shutter speed it still changes when I zoom in on say sunset/sunrise. I try changing it back to what I had but it changes back to what the camera thinks it should be. Anyway I can keep those from not changing? I'm using FZ35 btw.
beli is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 12, 2011, 8:57 AM   #2

Just operate the camera in manual mode. f/2.8 can be achieved only when using the camera in wide angle that is fully zoomed out position. As you zoom and reach telephoto range the minimum aperture will be reduced to f/5.2. Any way you can vary it b/w 5.2 to 8. But the shutter speed wont change as the aperture when you zoom in.
Old May 12, 2011, 9:21 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek chandrashekar View Post
Just operate the camera in manual mode. f/2.8 can be achieved only when using the camera in wide angle that is fully zoomed out position. As you zoom and reach telephoto range the minimum aperture will be reduced to f/5.2. Any way you can vary it b/w 5.2 to 8. But the shutter speed wont change as the aperture when you zoom in.
I'd love to work in manual mode but whenever I do, my pics come way over exposed no matter what settings I have it set at, If I have it on Awb, or no flash etc and adjust the Ev setting. So I've been using mostly IA and Program mode.
Old May 12, 2011, 9:41 AM   #4

I would also guess it's because of the larger f your forced to use when you zoom. You can try to put the f on 5.8 or large prior to zooming and then see if zooming will also change it.

With manual I tend to shoot at -1.3 to -1 ev and then the pictures come out properly exposed. I guess you'll learn it with trail and error

Visit my album on Flickr!
RafalW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2011, 11:17 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RafalW View Post
I would also guess it's because of the larger f your forced to use when you zoom. You can try to put the f on 5.8 or large prior to zooming and then see if zooming will also change it.

With manual I tend to shoot at -1.3 to -1 ev and then the pictures come out properly exposed. I guess you'll learn it with trail and error
Thanks.. I'll try that when I get home.. it's mostly the outdoor photos that tend to come out overly exposed. Indoor shots ironically are completely fine.
Old May 12, 2011, 12:29 PM   #6

I just got home and tried it. Even when you point the camera toward something lighter or darker the aperture and shutter will change again. I guess the only thing you can set and will stay is the eV.

I personally prefer to use m,a,s modes. When you set the aperture low (e.g. 2.8) and then zoom, it will be higher (2.8+ due to zooming), the camera will try to keep it as close as the aperture you wanted. If you zoom out again, the aperture will automatically go to the number you set it on (e.g. 2.8).

Hope that helped a bit. I would advise you to use a or s mode (depending whats more important), they are easy to learn and you'll end up having much more control, after that you can start experimenting with m (I use m 99% of the time).

Visit my album on Flickr!
RafalW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2011, 12:37 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by beli View Post
I'd love to work in manual mode but whenever I do, my pics come way over exposed no matter what settings I have it set at, If I have it on Awb, or no flash etc and adjust the Ev setting. So I've been using mostly IA and Program mode.
Your photos are getting over exposed because you are either using lower shutterspeed like 1/20 -1/100 or low f number like f/2.8 and thus allowing more light to fall on Sensor !

set ISO to 100. and increase the shutter speed to around 1/500 to 1/2000.
Play around with all the shutter speed till you get right exposure. you can also compensate the over exposure by increasing f number to f/8. i use shutter speed around 1/300 with f/5 in bright sunlight

learn to use it in manual mode to make most of this camera !!

Last edited by vivek chandrashekar; May 12, 2011 at 12:40 PM.
vivek chandrashekar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2011, 8:25 AM   #8

G'day Beli

you state..

Quote:
Originally Posted by beli View Post
Okay I've been experimenting in Program mode, and noticed that no matter what I do even if I change Aparture speed/Shutter speed it still changes when I zoom .....
Okay - what you are seeing is quite normal and correct
What you might not have yet worked out is "why is it so" ... it has nothing to do with the mode the camera is being used it.

Perhaps this sketch will help

in other words, every zoom lens in the world will change its "working aperture" when it is zoomed ... and in your camera via the settings shown on the screen, you are seeing this change take place

This is why every zoom lens is sold showing eg: "28-105mm, f2,8 ~ f4" as its description - the maker knows that as it zooms the working aperture changes from f2,8 to f4. ps: there are some very expensive professional lenses that are specially made to overcome this - they are said to be 'constant' working aperture lenses

As Vivek points out, the Panny can only deliver f2,8 while the lens is at wide-angle ... as you zoom the maximum aperture of f2,8 moves slightly lower to become f3,2 then f3,6 then f4. It is all quite normal

Okay - so now to your photography ~~
If you are happy to shoot in Program mode, then stay using "P" for your day-to-day photos. I use it most of the time too

Two of the tricks I use for sunsets is -
a) set the light meter to -2/3EV to give a little underexposure - I find it seems to 'brighten' the colours, and
b) I meter for the brightest part of the scene, half-press the shutter button to lock the meter, then swing the camera sideways to finish composing, then finish pressing the shutter to take the actual photo

eg:

Hope this helps a bit
Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2011, 10:13 AM   #9

Ozzie , good turtorial
Dont know is it FZ38s fault , but it does want to overexpose photos..

this nifty little trick with focusin-metering on a brightest part of the scene , then slowly move camera to desired scene and completing taking photo will help.

Second thing I like to do - spot metering.Rather then spot and centre and allround , you can say to camera to meter light only in the centre spot , or centre of the scene.That can also improve things.
hrvoje xyz is offline   Reply With Quote