Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old May 12, 2011, 12:39 PM   #1

Default First LC-55C Trial

Well I received my L55C yesterday and had some time for a quick trail.

It appears that the farthest I can get from a subject is 17 inches ; anything further is out of focus. I can get closer but I need to back the lens off as I get closer.
It was easy to use once realizing its limitations of maximum focal length.
and

I find the best way to focus is by actually moving the camera towards or away from the subject as the subject moves. So using a tripod on a subject moving away from you beyond 17" you may not be possible.

The lens has no threads so I cannot attach my polarizer to it and need to either attach it before or build a sleeve of some sort. I can’t add a UV filter to it either for protection.

The lens works well with my UV filter on the main lens and does not crash into the L55C when extended.
I wish the lens had a cover as it is very exposed and is easily scratched.I need some sort of protective pouch so when I am hiking and have to quickly remove the lens to take a far off picture, I can put it attached to the adapter where it won’t get scratched.

It seems anything but distilled water will ruin the lens if used for cleaning according to the instructions.

It also works with the LA3 and the Hood adapter attached and I am not too sure what this extra half inch extension gains.

Here is the first few pictures from the lens. All images are cropped a bit from 9MP 16:9 pictures.

Who can tell right away if that is a female or a male green frog?
Attached Images

Last edited by Chris0383; May 12, 2011 at 12:50 PM.
Chris0383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 12, 2011, 12:55 PM   #2

Welcome to the fantastic world of close-ups. You will have fun with this lens. The frog shots look very good. Your focus is slightly off on the fly. The ant is in focus, but appears that you lost some detail due to lack of light. You will find that the LC55 works great in bright light.

12 - 18 inches is about the sweet spot for me too.

Panasonic FZ150, FZ35 and GF1; Nikonos V when underwater

~~Art is in the eye of the camera holder~~
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2011, 1:14 PM   #3

Bingo on the lack of light Saly I was on the trail at 6pm and it was quite dark in there.

Thanks for the sweet spot confirmation as I wont be trying to do things with the lens it can't do and then complaining it doesn't work.

I was quite baffled why that frog stayed put as they usually jump at the sound of my feet. Must have known I was trying out my new lens and he or she (won't disclose yet) knew I would post the pic on the internet.
Old May 12, 2011, 4:01 PM   #4

Hi Chris - looks like you are off to a great start with the LC55. As Saly says, its well cool lens once you get used to it and it produces fantastic shots (see posts by Saly). It took me a while to get the hang of it, the lighting etc, and I am sure you will enjoy using it. Look forward to seeing more close-ups from you.
Old May 13, 2011, 10:29 AM   #5
csa

Love the frog shots! Really nice. Darn, I'm being pushed more to get the LC55!
csa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2011, 8:39 PM   #6

One more frog shot from today.

I think I can see myself in this one. Look closely.

This one is the opposite sex of the other frog.
Its a ???
Attached Images