Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old May 12, 2011, 9:45 PM   #1

Default I think I know what my problem is in Manual

Now how to change it because I looked on line and either I'm searching for the wrong thing... or i'm search impaired tonight.

I noticed that there is a white line that shows up above the aperture and shutter speed and it's always set to -2. I cannot change this. I've double checked my EV and my brackets and both are set at zero. Nothing I do seems to move that line back to zero....
beli is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 12, 2011, 10:03 PM   #2

Ohhh and I found the manual, and it's still not letting me set it.. sighs.
Old May 13, 2011, 3:32 AM   #3

the white line above aperture and shutter speed in manual mode is actually a exposure guide for us to choose the right combination of aperture and shutter speed so that the resulting images do not appear under or over exposed. It cannot be changed if it is showing -2 in your camera means that you either need to slow down the shutter speed to 1/30 or 1/10 or reduce aperture to around 2.8 till it comes to 0. when it is at 0 that is the perfect combo of shutter and aperture
Old May 13, 2011, 3:48 AM   #4

You can not set it. I tried it too when I started using manual and it took me a while to get it. You have to see it as a formula: Shutter and aperture on one side and eV on the other. If you set Shutter and Aperture on a fixed number, then eV is calculated (it can't be fixed, there needs to be at least 1 variable). In A mode, the fixed numbers are Aperture and eV (set by you as user) and then shutter is calculated (by camera). In S mode the fixed numbers are S and eV (again set by you) and aperture is calculated (again by camera). Hope that makes sense and is also a suitable answer ^^

Yes Vivek is right. Although it says -2, in fact it could be any number between -infinity and -2. For example it is -6 (and therefor shows -2) and shutter is 1/1000 and you change shutter to 1/500 then it becomes -3, but will still shows -2. Sometimes you have to slow the shutter really down to get towards the 0.

BTW, I would do this fully unzoomed and try to get the hang of it and experiment what eV you like most, some people like 0, others tend to use -1 or 1.

Hope I made it a little clearer and not a lot harder :S

PS: The numbers in the example are not based on the truth. I don't know if halving the shutter results in twice the eV.
PPS: When using manual at first, make sure to set ISO at auto, otherwise there will be another fixed variable to make it harder. Later on when you get the hang of it you can fix ISO at a number you want it on.

Visit my album on Flickr!

Last edited by RafalW; May 13, 2011 at 3:56 AM.
RafalW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2011, 5:00 AM   #5

Ohhh cuz in the manual it says to press the shutter button and it will pop up with a a for like a half of a second and you can adjust it then. Maybe I just miss read it?

Even at f2.8 and 1/30 it is still set at -2.
Old May 13, 2011, 5:47 AM   #6

Hmm or maybe they mean that you can adjust it indirectly by adjusting aperture and shutter?

In manual with f 2.8 and shutter at 1/30 you should get more then -2, even at iso 80. You could try to point the camera at something very bright and see if that has any effect, or even increase shutter to 1 sec. Not recommended for taking handheld pics, but just to see if you get more then -2.

If those don't work then I'm out of possible solutions :S

Visit my album on Flickr!
RafalW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2011, 6:32 AM   #7

I tired it in my bedroom with just my touch lamp on next to my bed (course this was before sunrise) and I had it set at f 2.8 S/2.5 before it went back to zero.. I'll try outside here in a bit as I'll be leaving for work and it looks like a decent sunrise again.

But now I do see what you mean by when it auto adjusts depending on light... I tried it in different areas of my desk and it moved depending on how much light there was..