Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old May 22, 2011, 8:02 PM   #1

Default Oldie FZ-20

I have been trying to compare photos from the fz-20 and the fz-100. The fz-100 is certainly faster to startup and the menu is easier to get to. Image quality I havent compared apples to apples yet. I'm just doing it for fun. I really never got that good with the fz20 and back then the reviews for the fz20 were not all that good either. I seem to always pick the camera with the worst reviews. Back then I also saw some extaordinary picture too.
I was going to mothball this camera, not sure if I am now. But then now I have to many camera choices.
Attached Images

Panasonic FZ-100, FZ-150, LX5, LX7, Pentax K-x & K-5, Bower Flash, FA-50 1.7,FA-100 2.8, FA-135 2.8, DA-35 2.4,DA-18-135 3.5,DA Limited 15 4, DA Limited 70 2.4, DAL 18-55, DAL 55-300, Pentax 1.7 Teleconverter, Sigma 70-200 2.8
popellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 23, 2011, 10:10 AM   #2

Popellis,

I have and still use the FZ15, the little sister of the FZ20. The only difference is one less MP and no hot shoe. I think the FZ15 and the FZ20 are great cameras. My FZ15 does some things better than my new FZ35.

As far as reviews go, both the FZ15 and FZ20 received great reviews.

jj
jjdog2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2011, 2:22 PM   #3

I had an FZ20 . Its strength was obviously the wonderful 12x zoom f2.8 across the entire range Leica lens. However, the camera has several limitations, which is hard to deal with these days. ISO tops up at 400 and at 400 images are very very noisy. The EVF is poor and sometimes images have this blue'ish color cast (I tried three cameras at the time and they were all the same), making it difficult to judge whether the problem is with the EVF or white balance. Talking about WB, it worked OK in bright daylight but it handled it very poorly indoors under artificial light or in shaded areas. AF was slow compared to today's cameras. Only 5 MP, which may be OK for the web but it certainly isn't for enlargements. These are some of the negatives. In any case, I sometimes regret having sold mine.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2011, 7:43 PM   #4

Tullio

For indoor shots I went with a external flash I believ it is a sunpak 383 which let me bounce the flash. Like I have stated I never really got good with this camera and moved to the fz-100 for the faster ISO.

JJdog you maybe right but it seemed I remember a lot of negative on the some forum about the camera. I do agree the white balance is a chore and so is the EVF in poor light. I took pictures of things I never saw through the EVF.

I like this picture below of someone I took during a photography class. I thought it came oput well using no flash just light from a window.
Attached Images

Panasonic FZ-100, FZ-150, LX5, LX7, Pentax K-x & K-5, Bower Flash, FA-50 1.7,FA-100 2.8, FA-135 2.8, DA-35 2.4,DA-18-135 3.5,DA Limited 15 4, DA Limited 70 2.4, DAL 18-55, DAL 55-300, Pentax 1.7 Teleconverter, Sigma 70-200 2.8
popellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2011, 8:24 PM   #5

Default Fz20

It did not have the rave reviews that the FZ1v2 and the FZ10 did. It was kind of a let down in comparison. I know because I still have all three and did a lot of research on them before getting them. In comparison to what one can use now it seems to be quite limited. The iso at 400 is abysmal. The 2.8 through the entire zoom range was a plus and the OIS as well. I have the Panasonic LC40s as my first ever digicam and it was quite expensive even in today's market. Nevertheless, I enjoyed all of them when it was the going rate. I still from time to time shoot with them but not even as a back-up to take along.
Images taken with them can be very, very good when you take the time like with anything to learn its nuances.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2011, 12:59 PM   #6

I'd say images from those old models can be very good not just when you take the time but when the conditions are right. My very first Pana was the LC33. Excellent little camera, which I sold many years ago. Then I had the LC50 (worse than the LC33), FZ20, FZ18 and FZ28. IMO, out of all the long zooms, the FZ20 produced the best image quality in the right conditions.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote