Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old May 24, 2011, 6:52 PM   #1

Default Wildlife - 1st Real Go

On arriving at the beach today I was over the moon to see a little bird perched on the rocks - so I got set up with the TCon as quietly as possible. Luckily he stayed put and then all of his mates starting popping up. I was really enjoying the practice (19 mins to be exact) when disaster struck ....... in the form of George The Dog. He went leaping on to the rocks in true hunting, fishing, shooting, useless dog style and off went my phtographic subject !!

Manual Mode + TCon. Please do give me your comments and criticisms (not sure on the sharpness). It all helps with the learning curve
Attached Images

Old May 25, 2011, 3:21 AM   #2

Great shots DyaneG, I love the # 3.
Old May 25, 2011, 6:57 AM   #3

You are getting the wildlife bug. Birds on the rockweed.

Try and increase the gamma slightly in a photo editor and see if their eyes come out a bit more.

That's were I started with shore birds.
Chris0383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2011, 7:46 AM   #4

Very nice shots with the TCon.

I bet George had a great time.

jj
jjdog2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2011, 8:59 AM   #5

Good first attempt - I really struggle with birds. Only think i'd suggest is to try spot metering instead of the centre weighted average. The bright sea has made the birds really dark. A polarizing filter might help as well if you didn't use one. You can recover a lot of the shadow detail with PP though. These were with my AutoHDR (settings 75573).

Last edited by MartinSykes; May 25, 2011 at 9:05 AM.
MartinSykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2011, 9:29 AM   #6

Hi Martin - I have been itching to get some "bird" shots in for ages, but nothing stays still long enough. Tanks for taking the time to help me out, and thanks for the advice - all noted. Yes, the background brightness was a prob as I was shooting into the sun. Love what you have done with some of the shots - makes such a difference. Thanks again D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinSykes View Post
Good first attempt - I really struggle with birds. Only think i'd suggest is to try spot metering instead of the centre weighted average. The bright sea has made the birds really dark. A polarizing filter might help as well if you didn't use one. You can recover a lot of the shadow detail with PP though. These were with my AutoHDR (settings 75573).

Old May 25, 2011, 10:31 AM   #7

Diane, really nice nature shots! Looks like you had the sun in the wrong place, though (that darn, inconsiderate sun!!) I was also going to suggest doing a bit of PP to lighten up. I use Photoshop Elements (under $100 in the US), and there is a "lighten shadows" command that, if used sparingly, can fix an otherwise great shot. I don't like to use too much PP, but sometimes it is worth the effort if the subject is really great, like in this case.

I think these are called Turnstone?

Panasonic FZ150, FZ35 and GF1; Nikonos V when underwater

~~Art is in the eye of the camera holder~~
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2011, 4:24 PM   #8

Dont worry DyaneG, how say Saly, your great shots with a few of "lighten shadows" tool in PP result like this

Your 3 image:

Old May 25, 2011, 4:50 PM   #9

Thanks Everyone for the excellent advice and encouragement. I am useless in the pp department and even though I have Photoshop Elements I dont really use it as its all in French - and even though I speak French I find it way too confusing. Looks like I will have to book in for some software lessons.
Old May 25, 2011, 6:58 PM   #10

Very nice captures and Martin certainly brought out the detail by lightening the shaddows. Poor George, he probably thought he was helping
banksy is offline   Reply With Quote