Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old May 27, 2011, 9:47 PM   #1

Default FZ35 - robin's nest, update #2

I have already posted two other threads on the topic,

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pa...bins-nest.html

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pa...pdate-1-a.html

Here is the final installment of the nest saga. Just for the nature lovers, the eggs were first spotted about May 1. They hatched by about May 15 (three of the four). The birds grew quickly, and left the nest on May 26.

For an album with 22 pics, the entire sequence, with captions that include dates:

https://picasaweb.google.com/rehrlic...J75jKCpjcjeVA#

Here are the last set of pics of their final nest time, and the empty home.

Now to look for anther nest ...
Attached Images

roger53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 27, 2011, 10:32 PM   #2

Roger, I think this was a fascinating series. They must have gown very quickly and left home! Thank you for sharing, so interesting!

Panasonic FZ150, FZ35 and GF1; Nikonos V when underwater

~~Art is in the eye of the camera holder~~
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2011, 10:01 AM   #3
csa

Stunning detail & sharpness Rodger! Was this with any attachments, or simply the zoom?

~Pentax K10D~
~FZ40~
csa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2011, 11:44 AM   #4

Hi Roger,

Great series of shots. You are getting very good at using the camera. Thanks for sharing.

jj
jjdog2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2011, 12:53 PM   #5

Amazing shots Roger, like a nature documentary
Old May 28, 2011, 6:22 PM   #6

Hi Roger - excellent shots - egg-cellent news that not all the eggs were taken and that some of the little fellas have hatched and are doing well.
Old May 28, 2011, 6:54 PM   #7

Thanks! This is awesome!I like your style.I'd like to propose a toast.
john7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2011, 7:25 PM   #8

Nice shots Roger - those baby birds look pretty weird without many feathers! You're getting some good results with the fz35.

Sony NEX-5, Panasonic fz40
BackyardPermaculture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2011, 8:50 PM   #9

Thanks for all the comments, and compliments! I love watching nature. I know none of these shots take no prize for quality of photography, but they do serve to examine more closely what happens in the world of robins.

This is also true of many of the flower shots I've done. That also includes many shots posted here of flowers, bugs, and other macro. These images allow us to view much more detail about what nature offers, and how it works.

To answer one question above, these were all taken with a naked camera, no added lens, and no zoom. The huge advantage I had when finding this nest was access. I was able to get the camera 3-6" from the nest. My work requires me to be at residential properties every day. I am now seeing many nests, in trees, under decks, and similar places, but these are inaccessible for photo ops.

I'm glad that many of you enjoyed this mini-documentary.

One more comment to address a post or two above about learning to use the FZ35, ... In many recent flower shots, as well as these nest shots, I often used bracketing the exposure, 0, -1/3, +1/3. When reviewing the images, I am learning what has worked, and what has failed. Taking that as feedback out to the field again has allowed me to make better choices on settings. In some recent shots, I've not used bracketing because I know what I have discarded in previous sessions. IMO, the bracketing feature is a wonderful tool for the FZ35.

After seeing some absolutely amazing shots on this Board (e.g. night shots from Brisbane, snake, zoo, bees [including BIF], bugs, ...), I feel totally inadequate to post my stuff.

Last edited by roger53; May 28, 2011 at 9:04 PM.
roger53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2011, 9:16 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger53 View Post
Thanks for all the comments, and compliments! I love watching nature. I know none of these shots take no prize for quality of photography, but they do serve to examine more closely what happens in the world of robins.

This is also true of many of the flower shots I've done. That also includes many shots posted here of flowers, bugs, and other macro. These images allow us to view much more detail about what nature offers, and how it works.

To answer one question above, these were all taken with a naked camera, no added lens, and no zoom. The huge advantage I had when finding this nest was access. I was able to get the camera 3-6" from the nest. My work requires me to be at residential properties every day. I am now seeing many nests, in trees, under decks, and similar places, but these are inaccessible for photo ops.

I'm glad that many of you enjoyed this mini-documentary.

One more comment to address a post or two above about learning to use the FZ35, ... In many recent flower shots, as well as these nest shots, I often used bracketing the exposure, 0, -1/3, +1/3. When reviewing the images, I am learning what has worked, and what has failed. Taking that as feedback out to the field again has allowed me to make better choices on settings. In some recent shots, I've not used bracketing because I know what I have discarded in previous sessions. IMO, the bracketing feature is a wonderful tool for the FZ35.

After seeing some absolutely amazing shots on this Board (e.g. night shots from Brisbane, snake, zoo, bees [including BIF], bugs, ...), I feel totally inadequate to post my stuff.
Roger well spoken. And post away my friend, enjoy having you and your shots on this forum.

jj

Last edited by jjdog2; May 28, 2011 at 9:19 PM.
jjdog2 is offline   Reply With Quote