Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old May 30, 2011, 5:32 PM   #11

Hi Ya Pal - yes, I too noticed the strange reflections or light flecks in a couple of the shots. I think its maybe dirt on the lens or something on there that was being reflected by the lights. Most annoying.

In No.3 it was a bus that went screeching through.

I was out on the footpath with the tripod set up taking the shots and, looking like the Gendarmes with a speed camera . This worked rather well to slow the cars down to a steady pace, but I think the shorts, coat, and fag smoking gave me away !!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Square one View Post
Great first try Dyane

Wonderful colors in the first

#2 is the one for me, #3 what went through a coach or a truck?

Last 2 shots, I prefer seeing the red trailing lights compared to the oncoming white light... just me. was you in the car for these two shot? trying to work out what the reflections are above the road
Old May 30, 2011, 5:36 PM   #12

Hi Geoper - OK cool, thanks for this info - exactly what I was looking for. The 1st shot was around 10 secs and then as it got darker (had a lot of waiting due to the lack of cars) I was down to 14 & 15 secs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoper2 View Post
I love long exposure ! They look nice. When i take long exposure ones i always set the camera to face the direction where the car is heading so that i can have the red lights on the shot and i start when the car is still coming and not in the frame yet. I usually have it under 10 seconds depending on the lights around and the traffic.
Old May 30, 2011, 5:38 PM   #13

Hi Everyone - thank you all so, so, so much for helping me out with tips and info for this type of shot - and for all your encouragement and lovely feedback. You are all lovely people, thanks again - Dyane
Old May 30, 2011, 6:33 PM   #14

G'day Dyane

You have posted an extremely good set of images - well done
you ask for cc - from much after-dark imagery, may I offer you some thoughts

1- for all after dark images including street lights, remove the UV filter if there is one on the lens & use a lens hood if possible ... street lights are very bright points of light & the filter seems to pick them up and spray light-refractions around inside the lens

2- the colours at night are quite different from daylight - buildings take on the colour of the lights themselves ... Sodium-vapour is very orange, Mercury-vapour is greenish, etc etc ... IF a shop has Red or Blue or Yellow flood lights, then you will get those colours dominating so WB adjustments does not always help. I set WB = Daylight and take what comes

3- being tripod mounted images, ISO is not important - I use ISO-100
and finally
4- please look after yourself via wearing a workman's reflective safety jacket ... while you know where you are and what you're doing, a moving car & driver is not looking at you ~ they are looking elsewhere ...

My safety vest has "PHOTOGRAPHER" in 15cm letters across the back panel

Hope this helps a bit
Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2011, 3:45 PM   #15

Good useful information for taking long exposure photographs

But more importantly high-lighting the dangers of being near a road at night, we don't want to loose friends do we!

Good post Ozzie Traveller!
Old May 31, 2011, 4:08 PM   #16

Hi Phill - thats great advice and a great help. I did not think of changing the white balance or using a hood/sun hat for the camera. I used it during the sunset shots and then took it off thinking that it would not be necessary or make a difference when shooting at night. I had the white balance set to "Cloudy" and shot at ISO 80. Will certainly try out your advice next time. Did not use any kind of filter for the shots ..... have not made that purchase yet !!

Thanks for your encouragement and support as well - have a good one
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie_Traveller View Post
G'day Dyane

You have posted an extremely good set of images - well done
you ask for cc - from much after-dark imagery, may I offer you some thoughts

1- for all after dark images including street lights, remove the UV filter if there is one on the lens & use a lens hood if possible ... street lights are very bright points of light & the filter seems to pick them up and spray light-refractions around inside the lens

2- the colours at night are quite different from daylight - buildings take on the colour of the lights themselves ... Sodium-vapour is very orange, Mercury-vapour is greenish, etc etc ... IF a shop has Red or Blue or Yellow flood lights, then you will get those colours dominating so WB adjustments does not always help. I set WB = Daylight and take what comes

3- being tripod mounted images, ISO is not important - I use ISO-100
and finally
4- please look after yourself via wearing a workman's reflective safety jacket ... while you know where you are and what you're doing, a moving car & driver is not looking at you ~ they are looking elsewhere ...

My safety vest has "PHOTOGRAPHER" in 15cm letters across the back panel

Hope this helps a bit
Regards, Phil
Old May 31, 2011, 8:40 PM   #17

One more interesting post Dyane

I love night shots with the warm colors caused by public ilumination.

These photos came out really nice... you are in the right way to get even more fantastic shots

Greetings
Rui Marques
rpmarques is offline   Reply With Quote