Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   Panasonic / Leica (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/panasonic-leica-29/)
-   -   Group Photos in Low Light (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/panasonic-leica/188549-group-photos-low-light.html)

xHassan Jun 2, 2011 5:52 AM

Group Photos in Low Light

I have been stuck with a lot of events lately and all of them were social and mostly evening outdoor parties so there was VERY little light.

I have experimented quite a lot with this cam, but i still can't manage to get a set of settings that would make my pictures look okay.

I'm pretty comfortable with other low light pictures, I somehow can't manage to get humans correct :P

Any tips?

popellis Jun 2, 2011 9:40 AM

Quote:

I'm pretty comfortable with other low light pictures, I somehow can't manage to get humans correct :P
xHassan

I think you have to be more specific. some examples would help. If you are talking about low light in general and some blur. Or are you talking about skin tones and colors.
Low light and a group generally requires flash. Or higher ISO and larger aperture opening along with faster shutter speeds. Which is not always possible without enough light, Then Higher ISO brings in more noise. If you need more flash you could always look at slave flash since the FZ40/45 doesn't have a flash shoe.
I probably babbled on to much.:o

Just something to think about.

BackyardPermaculture Jun 3, 2011 3:37 AM

Also consider the high sensitivity mode on the fz40, although that will drop your resolution to 3MP.

JohnG Jun 3, 2011 8:33 AM

Outdoors at night with a digicam: you're really going to have to use flash to get good results. There simply isn't enough light to not use it. My DSLR has pretty good ISO 6400 performance but I still use a flash in those types of situations. It's the least terrible option - especially with a digicam's high iso performance.

xHassan Jun 3, 2011 2:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BackyardPermaculture (Post 1231093)
Also consider the high sensitivity mode on the fz40, although that will drop your resolution to 3MP.

I tried that. It kills the color entirely

xHassan Jun 3, 2011 2:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnG (Post 1231130)
Outdoors at night with a digicam: you're really going to have to use flash to get good results. There simply isn't enough light to not use it. My DSLR has pretty good ISO 6400 performance but I still use a flash in those types of situations. It's the least terrible option - especially with a digicam's high iso performance.

Thanks John....I guess I'll try it with the highest decent iso though I think on this camera it is gonna be around 800ISO

rpmarques Jun 3, 2011 3:07 PM

Did you already try the "iA" mode? Sometimes I use it when nothing else works and I get really good results :)

JohnG Jun 3, 2011 3:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xHassan (Post 1231212)
Thanks John....I guess I'll try it with the highest decent iso though I think on this camera it is gonna be around 800ISO

you can try it. But without flash it just isn't going to work.

Tullio Jun 4, 2011 6:34 PM

This past week was my son's 8th grade graduation and we participated in a few evening events. I took with me (to different events) my ZS7, G1 and EPL1 and I must say I felt like smashing up every single one of them. The EPL1 did slightly better than the others only because I was able to cap the ISO at 2500 since it handles high ISO noise real well. However, in many situations it would not focus at all. The ZS6 video was horrendous. As I started recording, the image would turn much darker (no clue why it did that). iAuto handled WB poorly. The G1 was probably the worst of the three (to my surprise). The flash was very inconsistent, focus was slow (particularly with the 45-200mm), and both the EVF and LCD were far from acceptable when light was low. IMO, none of these cameras produce decent results when photographing people indoors in low light. I don't have the FZ35/40 but my guess is that it won't do much better at all.

xHassan Jun 5, 2011 7:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rpmarques (Post 1231214)
Did you already try the "iA" mode? Sometimes I use it when nothing else works and I get really good results :)

Yes i did. It blows the entire thing :S

There's SO much noise and it somehow doesn't focus (or if it does the noise kills it)