Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 2, 2011, 5:52 AM   #1

Default Group Photos in Low Light

I have been stuck with a lot of events lately and all of them were social and mostly evening outdoor parties so there was VERY little light.

I have experimented quite a lot with this cam, but i still can't manage to get a set of settings that would make my pictures look okay.

I'm pretty comfortable with other low light pictures, I somehow can't manage to get humans correct :P

Any tips?

In a relationship with a Panasonic Fz40
Hama Macro Filters (+1, +2, +4)

flickr
facebook
xHassan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 2, 2011, 9:40 AM   #2

Quote:
I'm pretty comfortable with other low light pictures, I somehow can't manage to get humans correct :P
xHassan

I think you have to be more specific. some examples would help. If you are talking about low light in general and some blur. Or are you talking about skin tones and colors.
Low light and a group generally requires flash. Or higher ISO and larger aperture opening along with faster shutter speeds. Which is not always possible without enough light, Then Higher ISO brings in more noise. If you need more flash you could always look at slave flash since the FZ40/45 doesn't have a flash shoe.
I probably babbled on to much.

Just something to think about.
Panasonic FZ-100, FZ-150, LX5, LX7, Pentax K-x & K-5, Bower Flash, FA-50 1.7,FA-100 2.8, FA-135 2.8, DA-35 2.4,DA-18-135 3.5,DA Limited 15 4, DA Limited 70 2.4, DAL 18-55, DAL 55-300, Pentax 1.7 Teleconverter, Sigma 70-200 2.8
popellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2011, 3:37 AM   #3

Also consider the high sensitivity mode on the fz40, although that will drop your resolution to 3MP.

Sony NEX-5, Panasonic fz40
BackyardPermaculture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2011, 8:33 AM   #4

Outdoors at night with a digicam: you're really going to have to use flash to get good results. There simply isn't enough light to not use it. My DSLR has pretty good ISO 6400 performance but I still use a flash in those types of situations. It's the least terrible option - especially with a digicam's high iso performance.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2011, 2:55 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackyardPermaculture View Post
Also consider the high sensitivity mode on the fz40, although that will drop your resolution to 3MP.
I tried that. It kills the color entirely

flickr
facebook
Old Jun 3, 2011, 2:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
Outdoors at night with a digicam: you're really going to have to use flash to get good results. There simply isn't enough light to not use it. My DSLR has pretty good ISO 6400 performance but I still use a flash in those types of situations. It's the least terrible option - especially with a digicam's high iso performance.
Thanks John....I guess I'll try it with the highest decent iso though I think on this camera it is gonna be around 800ISO

flickr
facebook
Old Jun 3, 2011, 3:07 PM   #7

Did you already try the "iA" mode? Sometimes I use it when nothing else works and I get really good results

Greetings
Rui Marques
rpmarques is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2011, 3:17 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by xHassan View Post
Thanks John....I guess I'll try it with the highest decent iso though I think on this camera it is gonna be around 800ISO
you can try it. But without flash it just isn't going to work.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2011, 6:34 PM   #9

This past week was my son's 8th grade graduation and we participated in a few evening events. I took with me (to different events) my ZS7, G1 and EPL1 and I must say I felt like smashing up every single one of them. The EPL1 did slightly better than the others only because I was able to cap the ISO at 2500 since it handles high ISO noise real well. However, in many situations it would not focus at all. The ZS6 video was horrendous. As I started recording, the image would turn much darker (no clue why it did that). iAuto handled WB poorly. The G1 was probably the worst of the three (to my surprise). The flash was very inconsistent, focus was slow (particularly with the 45-200mm), and both the EVF and LCD were far from acceptable when light was low. IMO, none of these cameras produce decent results when photographing people indoors in low light. I don't have the FZ35/40 but my guess is that it won't do much better at all.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2011, 7:32 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmarques View Post
Did you already try the "iA" mode? Sometimes I use it when nothing else works and I get really good results
Yes i did. It blows the entire thing :S

There's SO much noise and it somehow doesn't focus (or if it does the noise kills it)

flickr
facebook