Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 6, 2011, 1:56 PM   #1

Default Best setting for FZ40 & OLY B 300

Hi Y'all,

I just got the Oly B 300 and tried some shots with FZ40. I haven't got the good setting with FZ40, yet. Images were not sharp or clear. Quick basic setting, in any modes M,S,A,P Please. Thanks and Appreciate it.

Jeff
Attached Images

FZ40 & FinePix J27,28,29
UJEFROCNROL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 6, 2011, 2:03 PM   #2

I hope you are using a tripod. Handholding is nearly impossible with greater magnifications.
Aside from that, there is a setting in the menus to "tell" the camera that you are using a converter or a closeup lens.
Make sure you set that to "T" as that is for teleconversion and NOT "C" since that is only for a closeup lens.
Also, there are minimum distances for being able to focus with a converter.
The B300 needs to be about 14 feet away from the subject in order to be able to focus.
Dabbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2011, 2:25 PM   #3

Hi Dabbler,

Used tripod, did set to "T" and over 14 ft.....Here are the pics i took about 100 ft away which I tested....

Jeff
Attached Images

FZ40 & FinePix J27,28,29
Old Jun 6, 2011, 5:27 PM   #4

Congratulations on getting the Teleconverter lens.

Setting the converter menu is not so important, it just automatically puts the lens into the correct minimum zoom setting.

I think you are just suffering the lack of bright light that the FZ40/45 needs to make the pictures pop.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 6:50 PM   #5

Thanks Square One,

According to your advice: "I think you are just suffering the lack of bright light that the FZ40/45 needs to make the pictures pop." Should I use more exposure with a teleconverter than without one?

Jeff

FZ40 & FinePix J27,28,29
Old Jun 6, 2011, 7:15 PM   #6

UJEFROCNROL, no don't adjust the exposure.

The FZ40/45 and FZ35/38 for that matter, work much better when there is plenty of bright sunlight
Old Jun 6, 2011, 7:41 PM   #7

Thanks again Square One. These pics were taking on cloudy evening. I will try on sunny day again.

Jeff

FZ40 & FinePix J27,28,29
Old Jun 6, 2011, 9:34 PM   #8

Default Square One, explain something, please

You said that the Converter/Closeup lens settings "automatically puts the lens into the correct minimum zoom setting".
Does it really do absolutely nothing else?
How do you know? (And I'm not being facetious here. I aim to learn.)

UJEF, there are still some things to do to enhance the sharpness of your images.
Unless you're shooting in raw , then you can try these settings for general use, not only when using a converter, under PICT. ADJ.
Contrast +1
Sharpness +2
Saturation -1 or -2
Noise Reduction -2

Regardless of raw or jpeg shooting (again for general use), you can set an ISO limit to 200
and
For tripod shooting only , turn the stabilizer OFF and use the self timer to activate the shutter--try 10 seconds and try 2 seconds and see if there is a noticable difference between the 2.
It should, however make some difference for either setting, compared to manually pressing the shutter button.
If it's windy and your tripod isn't all that stable then you would probably benefit from using image stabilization---though you'd be best off waiting for non-windy conditions to get the best sharpness.
Dabbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2011, 1:42 AM   #9

Dabbler,
I did set up....under PICT. ADJ. :
Contrast +1, Sharpness +1 but none on Saturation & Noise Reduction though. Will check all of your additional tips and practice some more images. Keep learning and get better. Thank you.

Jeff:rolleye s:

FZ40 & FinePix J27,28,29
Old Jun 7, 2011, 4:25 PM   #10

@ Dabbler, no problem to answer. My knowledge is only from playing around with the FZ45 and LC55 and two other not so good close up lenses.

After fitting lens adapter and then the LC55 to the camera, if the zoom is set to minimum then you will see vignetting (the clear round center image with darker / blacked out corners) increasing zoom will eventually remove the vignetting.

Setting the lens adapter menu to close up, will set the lens to the same zoom setting, but will not alter any F stop or shutter speed settings, so as far as I can tell all it has done is move the zoom to predetermined setting to over come the vignetting.

Fitting a different close up lens and setting the lens adapter menu to close up lens, sets the zoom to the same setting, the camera does not know what close up lens you fit to it.

If you find I'm wrong on any point, lets us know, what I've written has been found only by playing with the camera.