Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 7, 2011, 2:51 PM   #1

Default FZ35 - first butterfly shots of the season

OK, ... I'm making myself vulnerable to post shots after Saly's recent closeup shots. But, let me try with my lame efforts.

We've had very few butterflies so far, none that will land long enough for photo ops. However, yesterday, we had an unusual experience. We arrived home with our pickup, opened the doors, and a small butterfly flew into the cabin. We believe it to be a Silvery Checkerspot. If anybody can confirm, or supply a proper identification, please do so.

The butterfly landed on the tip of a device used to disable the steering wheel, known as a Club. The tip is a red plastic, over steel. The sunlight was shining brightly into the cab, right where the butterfly landed. It stayed for a long time, and moved around, giving me ample opportunity for many shots.

The outcome was interesting because of the bright sunlight, against a darkened cab area. The high contrast made for an interesting set of images. I have included some of them here. I wasn't sure what to do with them, and, in the end, have left them pretty much as they came from the camera.

Does anybody have suggestions on better presentation for these high contrast images?
Attached Images

roger53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 7, 2011, 2:53 PM   #2

A few more (sorry - I suppose I was just thrilled to get some good in-focus shots)... The setting is not as interesting.
Attached Images

Old Jun 7, 2011, 4:16 PM   #3

That first series is fantastic, beautifully captured. Love the way you have captured the butterfly's shadow - great clarity. You are quite right to be well pleased with this opportunity, well done
Old Jun 7, 2011, 4:22 PM   #4

Roger, now there are some interesting Butterfly shots. I think you did very well.

Oh Roger, you need to vacuum out your truck.

jj
jjdog2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2011, 4:56 PM   #5

Roger, these are fantastic! Another example of how opportunity knocks when you are not looking! Lucky you had your camera with you. I think that #1 and #4 could be improved if you just crop out the arch-shaped shadow at the bottom, I think they distract from the whole image. #7 is fabulous!

Panasonic FZ150, FZ35 and GF1; Nikonos V when underwater

~~Art is in the eye of the camera holder~~
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2011, 8:42 PM   #6

I really like #2 and #3 - agree with saly that a bit of cropping would work wonders.

Sony NEX-5, Panasonic fz40
BackyardPermaculture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2011, 10:26 PM   #7

I'm with Dyane--love the shadow of the butterfly.
Butterfly eyes have a very interesting look to them.
As Saly said--good thing you had your camera at the ready!
Dabbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2011, 6:35 AM   #8

Thanks for the comments and encouragement. Iím grateful for the feedback.

Jjdog, you are right. The floorboard does need cleaned up a bit. But, it is work truck, so one canít expect pristine conditions.
Saly, and others, Ö yes, I do keep my camera with me at all times. I do outside work, and find situations where I want to shoot pictures, when I should be working (e.g. the bees of a few days ago). Many opportunities pass because I must keep on schedule with work.

I have taken the suggestion of a couple of you and recropped three of the images, eliminating the half-moon shadow at the bottom. You are right. The eye is better drawn to the subject. Like I said before, I was a bit puzzled by the outcome, and just donít have a good trained eye to make these decisions. The results follow.

The humor shot didnít make the cut. The butterfly kept moving around, and eventually ended up walking on the side of a plastic potato chip bag. I do have a couple of shots of the butterfly walking on the letters of POTATO CHIP, and another of it walking across the dietary composition of the food stuffs inside. Having the butterfly outside the normal habitat already was enough of a joke, but to have it against the background of a potato chip bag was really a joke. I didnít post these shots because they were just not quite sharp. I was disappointed. Perhaps the reflection of the shiny surface confused the camera focus mechanism.

Thanks again for the encouragement. Iím sure more shots of butterfly will follow as the season unfolds.
Attached Images

Old Jun 8, 2011, 10:42 AM   #9

I really like the third cropped version. Very nice.

Panasonic FZ150, FZ35 and GF1; Nikonos V when underwater

~~Art is in the eye of the camera holder~~
saly is offline   Reply With Quote