Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 18, 2011, 8:53 AM   #11

Sandy

Once you found "format" at the wrench Icon of the menu, and pressed the right arrow at the "Format" Label. it comes up with "DELETE ALL DATA FROM MEMORY CARD?" and you select yes with the up and down arrow. Then press the center round button "(The Menu Button) It shows this at the bottom of the screen as "SET" Then you should see a screen that says "Please Wait" with a Hour glass. Once the Hour glass is done and the camera returns to regular operation mode, The card should then be formated.

Hope this helps
Panasonic FZ-100, FZ-150, LX5, LX7, Pentax K-x & K-5, Bower Flash, FA-50 1.7,FA-100 2.8, FA-135 2.8, DA-35 2.4,DA-18-135 3.5,DA Limited 15 4, DA Limited 70 2.4, DAL 18-55, DAL 55-300, Pentax 1.7 Teleconverter, Sigma 70-200 2.8
popellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2011, 12:01 PM   #12

Default Did you actually remove the cable from the bag?

Both cables are packed in the same bag--one with USB/camera connectors and the other with AV/camera connectors.
Only the 1 cable has a USB connector.
If you only looked, perhaps the two cables were intertwined and appeared to be just one.
Unless it's different for cameras outside the US, the inside flap of the box lists the contents, as does page 7 of the printed manual.
If the cable is missing, then you'd best check that everything else that should be included is there.
Dabbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2011, 7:46 PM   #13

I have sorted out the lead now.

May I ask for some help on the settings if I use 'A'. I have set the sensitivity to 400. May I ask for suggestions for the other settings? Aspect ratio, Picture size, Quality and Film Mode. For this trip I would like to take my new camera on - I will be taking mainly outdoor pictures in the mountain areas of Oregon and Montana where I shall be camping by rivers lakes etc.
I usually just upload the pics onto laptop after I get home and then send them out in emails to friends. If that info helps with picture settings.
sandys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2011, 9:29 PM   #14

I have sorted out the lead. Could someone tell me the other settings that would be good for A. I have set the sensitivity on 400. I shall be in outdoors mainly, camping in oregon and Montana mountains, lakes etc.
I mainly just upload pics to laptop when i return home and emails some pics to friends. What would be good for Film mode, aspect ratio, Pic size, quality. I know there are other setup things, but that will have to do.

And I dont want the date showing on my pictures. How can I make sure that doesn't happen. I think it ruins the pic.
Old Jun 18, 2011, 9:31 PM   #15

Dabbler. You were right. The cable was intertwined. I was expecting anything to occur, as it all arrived with all the paperwork pamphlets including the Basic Instructions in Spanish!
Old Jun 19, 2011, 12:19 AM   #16

Default Glad to have helped.

I knew it would be easy to overlook a cable since they packed them together.

For me, it has been easiest to find what I want to know by downloading a copy of the FZ100 manual to my computer in Adobe Acrobat format, so I can search quickly.
You can find the manual in that format on Panasonic's page at:
http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-e...del.DMC-FZ100K

Sarah Joyce-- Mountain Climber on the forum--has written a great little beginner's guide for the FZ40, which is extremely similar to the FZ100, so her advice applies to either camera.
Her guide is 2nd in this thread:
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pa...user-help.html

There is a difference between setting the ISO to 400 and setting the ISO LIMIT to 400.
In the first instance, every picture will be taken at ISO 400.
In the second case, pictures will be taken with ISOs ranging from ISO 80 up to a limit of ISO 400.

You want to set the ISO LIMIT. You don't want to always shoot in ISO 400.
This only appears as an option in the menus when you are in one of the following modes:
P, A, S, M, Cust and Movie.

I have no idea where you are located or how experienced you are with photography.
To familiarize yourself with the camera's features/settings read the lengthy manual as thoroughly as you can stand to and re-read as needed.
It would be a shame to visit such scenic places as Montana and Oregon without knowing how to make use of the camera's Panorama Assist mode.
Unless you are experienced in photography, I would suggest that you read a book or two by experienced photographers, so that you can understand a bit about camera settings, so you are able to take pictures that you will enjoy looking at.
My personal favorite series is by Scott Kelby The Digital Photography Book, Volume 1 (note the link is the downloadable Kindle edition)
Amazon, and others I'm sure, also offers a 3 book set of volumes 1,2 and 3 of The Digital Photography Book.
These books are also available as downloads for Kindle (Amazon) and Nook (Barnes and Noble).
Some people don't like Kelby's writing style and prefer books written by Bryan Peterson, Michael Freeman or others.

Above all, there is no substitute for experience, so taking pictures as often as possible before you go on your trip will help you to get comfortable with the camera and help you to take the kinds of pictures you will like--plus give you time to ask questions when pictures don't turn out the way you expected them to.

The other settings that have been recommended for A mode ( also for P, S, M modes) are settings for Sharpness, Contrast, Noise Reduction and Saturation.
Some people have suggested they be set as follows:
Sharpness +2
Contrast +1
Noise Reduction -2
Saturation -1 or -2

Last edited by Dabbler; Jun 19, 2011 at 12:26 AM.
Dabbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2011, 5:56 PM   #17

Thank you so much Popellis
Old Jun 19, 2011, 5:59 PM   #18

Wow, thanks Dabbler, that is an amazing lot of information. And the ISO limit info is useful too. I have printed it out and will absorb it all. Much appreciated. I am in Australia.
Old Jun 19, 2011, 6:04 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by popellis View Post
Sandy

Once you found "format" at the wrench Icon of the menu, and pressed the right arrow at the "Format" Label. it comes up with "DELETE ALL DATA FROM MEMORY CARD?" and you select yes with the up and down arrow. Then press the center round button "(The Menu Button) It shows this at the bottom of the screen as "SET" Then you should see a screen that says "Please Wait" with a Hour glass. Once the Hour glass is done and the camera returns to regular operation mode, The card should then be formated.

Hope this helps
That was really explicit and I have the hour glass and now know it is formatted. Camera not much good without that being done correctly.
Old Jun 19, 2011, 6:09 PM   #20

I have printed this out as well. That will be great.

New fz40 user..help!

Still not sure how to make sure the date doesn't show on my pictures, but perhaps I will find the info in the manual.