Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 14, 2011, 9:41 PM   #1

Default Panasonic DMC FZ100 formatting the card

Just bought this camera and am trying to learn it.
Does anyone know how to format the card? I do have the correct card SDHC 6. When I turn the camera on, I get a message that says' This card is not formatted with this camera and not suitable for movie recording'. I have looked at the different format references in the 240 page manual but can't find anywhere that says how to format it - other than 'not to do it on the computor'!
sandys is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 14, 2011, 10:39 PM   #2

It should be under the setup up menu (the wrench icon), called format. I think it's on page 39 of the Advanced User Guide.

Panasonic FZ150, FZ35 and GF1; Nikonos V when underwater

~~Art is in the eye of the camera holder~~
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2011, 3:01 AM   #3

Ok Thanks I found the wrench icon. (Would have been good to have better instructions on page 39.) OK so I found 'Format' and it seems the option it gives me is 'whether I want to delete all data from the memory card. ' I have said yes and I know it has to be deleted to format a card. But now what? I cant see any other options under Format. Does that mean the card is formatted now? This is my first complicated camera! I contacted the local camera clubs etc to pay for some tuition, but no-one seems to know this camera. I just had a JVC point and shoot camcorder etc. I would love to just set this up so it was easy to use and then I can learn as I go. I have discovered (iA) Intelligence auto but there are still optimum things to set. Oh well I will get there one day. Ploughing through the 240 pages that dont really lay it out simply at all - well not for me anyway.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 8:09 AM   #4

I think that there are a lot of techniques and guides on the internet !! and all for free it will take some time for you to learn, it all comes with practise. As for the memory card if you did the format already its ready, if you connect it to your computer it must have created some folders automatically in it. Try to take some first shots.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 9:21 AM   #5

Default Welcome to the forum, sandys!

I think it's safe to say that many of us have found that the manual leaves a lot of room for improvement.
It can seem like a daunting task to learn the camera, but you'll get there in time.
The nice thing, as geoper2 pointed out, is that there are forums for asking questions and other info on the internet.
For me, the fastest way to find info in the manual is to enter a term into the search box, which appears when you view the manual with Adobe Acrobat or Reader.
It's much faster than trying to find things in the index, IMHO.
Many of us have found that we like the resulting still images better when we shoot in modes other than iA, such as Aperture Priority (A on the dial), setting the ISO limit to 400 ISO or less and adjusting some settings within the camera.
I think that iA may be the preferred mode when shooting video, though I haven't tried the video myself.
Be sure to read past posts about the FZ100 and the similar FZ40 to see images and user tips for these cameras.
Dabbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2011, 11:46 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandys View Post
OK so I found 'Format' and it seems the option it gives me is 'whether I want to delete all data from the memory card. ' I have said yes and I know it has to be deleted to format a card. But now what? I cant see any other options under Format. Does that mean the card is formatted now? This is my first complicated camera! I contacted the local camera clubs etc to pay for some tuition, but no-one seems to know this camera. I just had a JVC point and shoot camcorder etc. I would love to just set this up so it was easy to use and then I can learn as I go. I have discovered (iA) Intelligence auto but there are still optimum things to set. Oh well I will get there one day. Ploughing through the 240 pages that dont really lay it out simply at all - well not for me anyway.
I think you can assume that the card is now formatted, once you say "yes". I agree that the manual is poorly organized. I have a pdf version on my computer and do a "find" on subjects I want to read about. It's faster than flipping through pages. I suggest staying in the iA mode until you feel comfortable with the camera, then move on to P mode and start experimenting.

Old Jun 17, 2011, 6:34 PM   #7

Thank you everyone for your help. I will absorb it all. I will take some pics today and connect to computer which I haven't done yet. Thanks for the info of A and 400. I will try and see 3 what the other settings for that would be.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 7:40 PM   #8

I just took a couple of pictures and went to get the lead to put them on computer. I opened the lead packet up (first time) and there is only one lead in there that has a USB port on one end and the red yellow and white plugs on the other which is for TV. Nothing else in box. I guess I have to go back to the place I bought it, which was on-line in Victoria. Any other suggestions if they wont handle it.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 8:44 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandys View Post
I just took a couple of pictures and went to get the lead to put them on computer. I opened the lead packet up (first time) and there is only one lead in there that has a USB port on one end and the red yellow and white plugs on the other which is for TV. Nothing else in box. I guess I have to go back to the place I bought it, which was on-line in Victoria. Any other suggestions if they wont handle it.
Look through the User Guide, and it should tell you what is included in the box. I think you should have gotten more cables, but not positive. You can always pop the SD card and put that directly into your card reader (if you have a slot in your computer) to download. Regardless, I would try to get everything that is supposed to be included in the box....

Old Jun 17, 2011, 11:11 PM   #10

Thank you