Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 25, 2011, 5:22 PM   #11

Hi Provenzano - thanks for having a look and for your kind feedback
Quote:
Originally Posted by provenzano View Post
great pics.
Old Jun 25, 2011, 5:23 PM   #12

Thanks JJ for your support - means a lot
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjdog2 View Post
All great shots! I love seeing your work with the LC55, keep them coming.

jj
Old Jun 25, 2011, 6:08 PM   #13

I love all of them DyaneG...Great shots...Jeff

FZ40 & FinePix J27,28,29
UJEFROCNROL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2011, 8:51 PM   #14

Great shots! I like the macro stuff, ... as apparently most others who live here.

You used the LC55. I just got one, and have only made some first trials with the LC55. I also got the adapter tube to make it fit.

My first impressions of the LC55 were luke warm. It did not seem to give me much magnification. I tried shooting some bees, but without much success. While working with the new lens, I took it off to see if it needed to be attached differently. While the LC55 was off, several bees arrived and I started shooting without. In the end, I got some pretty good shots.

I know Saly said she was something like 18" away from the subjects with the LC55. While shooting without LC55, I was working 1.5 to 2.5" away. I was a similar distance with the LC55, but the outcome wasn't much different.

So my simple question: what changes are needed in the camera settings while the LC55 is mounted for it to be effective?

I could see quickly the 18" distance was way too far away from the subject to get much useful in the image. Can I mistakenly mount it backwards?

Sorry to hijack this thread, and perhaps should have started a new one. But, you have some great results with your LC55, the kind of magnification I was expecting. Oh, one more question: How much cropping of the image was done to get these final images. Maybe I'm expecting too much, and still will rely heavily on substantial cropping.

Thanks.
roger53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2011, 10:56 PM   #15

Roger, the LC55 is a diopter #2, which gives you an additional 1.5X magnification. So, if you put an LC55 and zoom in as much you can, your image should be 1.5 times larger than you can get without it. There's a fine relationship between the ability to focus, distance to your subject and how much you zoom in. I find that you can zoom i closer if there is more light.

Panasonic FZ150, FZ35 and GF1; Nikonos V when underwater

~~Art is in the eye of the camera holder~~
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2011, 5:08 AM   #16

Hi Roger - no problem with you hijacking the thread so dont worry. With these shots I was literally around 1-3 feet away as the flower bed was next to a pond with fountain jets and with all the splashes I could not stand too close. If I remember correctly on was on x24 zoom. As Saly has correctly said the LC55 is a close up lens and as the name suggests you need to be close to the subject to get the magnification or to use the zoom to get in closer. Remember its not a macro lens which will have a greater magnification capability. For me its a matter of trial and error as to how close or far away I need to be. If I have trouble focusing I sometimes put my hand in front of the lens and then move it back and forward till it comes into focus, then look at the distance and use this as a guage as to how close I can be to the subject - not exactly technical but it helps me.

With the LC55 and the adapter tube there is no way you could have put it on the wrong way - the other end does not have the "thread" to screw it onto the adapter.

I put the camera on the conversion setting for close-ups and shoot in Aperture mode or Manual, these were taken using Manual mode and with a tripod.

The shots have been cropped, about 1cm or so round the edges - most cropping was done on the green leaf with water drop.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by DyaneG; Jun 26, 2011 at 5:21 AM.
DyaneG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2011, 6:06 AM   #17

Saly and Dayne, ... thanks for the information. I hope to be able to spend some time with the LC55 in the next couple of days. I will use what you have provided in my experimenting.
roger53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2011, 4:41 PM   #18

No probs Roger you are more than welcome. Have fun and I'm looking forward to seeing the shots - Dyane
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger53 View Post
Saly and Dayne, ... thanks for the information. I hope to be able to spend some time with the LC55 in the next couple of days. I will use what you have provided in my experimenting.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 4:04 AM   #19

Hi roger,
Years ago, before I learned to use Photoshop Elements to crop the image, I used to think people got really really close to take their macro shots. Of course we all know that cropping is a tool to not only take out excess parts of our photos that aren't needed, but also makes the subject larger..... Keep shooting and posting
banksy is offline   Reply With Quote