Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 27, 2011, 8:41 PM   #1

Default Anyone else having problems to aim his superzoom? I'm gonna adapt a sight on mine's..

Hello there.
I have a superzoom and it's zoom isn't very fast, so, to shoot distant things the only chance is to keep it fully zoomed and just aim it at things, however it's pretty much impossible to quickly aim when fully zoomed to 600mm (fullframe equiv)... i try point the camera at the subject and then i need to look outside the viewfinder for references then look in the vf and correct the position, it takes a lot of time and if the subject is a bird you just can't spend that amount of time simply trying to find it in the vf.
Last weekend i adapted a simple iron sight there (using the lens hood, heh) and it worked extremely well, i was able to quickly aim the camera somewhat precisely and then i could follow the subject using the vf. I was able to take incredible pictures.

Now i'm curious if it's just me or someone else also has aiming problems.

Also, any recommendation on what sight to use is very appreciated. i wanted a reflex one so i could simply put it on the camera's body (without needing anything on the lens hood) but they are not sold in my country and it's impossible to make a homemade one .

Thanks.
Electrolyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 27, 2011, 9:36 PM   #2

You need a Red Dot Sight. Cheap ones are around
$12.00 @ up. I wouldn't spend more than $30.00.

This is about the neatest way to attach I know of..

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=36559764

This should get you started in the right direction.

Good Luck, RudyL
RudyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2011, 10:47 AM   #3

Whoa! Thank you!

That camera is awesome! I just wonder if it's possible to take pictures at dawn or dusk because of the teleconverter.

You know, I have the same camera and it's amazing to shoot at noon, but it's not that good at dusk. Using a teleconverter i think it would be necessary to use ISO 800 or more and the noise is annoying in this case.

Of course i'm comparing it with a Nikon D7000 that has a very nice image quality even at ISO 3200. Comparing with other superzoom P&S the Panasonic ones are much more better than the others including Nikons and Canons. Nikons tend to produce less noise at higher ISOs, but the picture is extremely blurred. I've tested them side-by-side (including the FZ100) and the FZ40 was by far the best of them (Nikon P100, Nikon P500, Canon IS30, Fuji. HS10, Pana. FZ100 and Pana. FZ40) that's why i bought it, of course it isn't the fastest one, and it has more noise than the Nikons, but the sharpness and overall IQ is so much more bettar that i would buy it even if the price was twice the rivals. Not to tell about the stabilization, autofocus (extremely fast under sunlight), battery life, lcd brightness, very silent motor, incredible mic quality, etc.

Thanks.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 12:47 PM   #4

For low light use, you could unscrew the teleconverter. For close targets requiring
low zoom, remove both the adapter/RDS and teleconverter..My luck with low light
is marginal, and I don't like to use anything above ISO 100. For serious low light I would select another camera. Glad to be of service, RudyL
Old Jun 28, 2011, 4:06 PM   #5

G'day Electrolyte

I can speak from personal experience here...
As Rudy says-
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyL View Post
You need a Red Dot Sight. This should get you started in the right direction. Good Luck, RudyL
RDS units are not available in Australia, and a 'real-good-mate' of mine in the US sent me one ..... it's G-R-E-A-T for BIF, fast action across the field of view, rodeo action etc etc

Get yourself one and start to shoot amazing action pix
Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2011, 1:07 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie_Traveller View Post
G'day Electrolyte

I can speak from personal experience here...
As Rudy says-

RDS units are not available in Australia, and a 'real-good-mate' of mine in the US sent me one ..... it's G-R-E-A-T for BIF, fast action across the field of view, rodeo action etc etc

Get yourself one and start to shoot amazing action pix
Regards, Phil
Thanks. They aren't available in my country also and unfortunately i don't have a good friend in US heh.
I can't even buy that adaptor tube to put the sight. Some stores can import it, but it costs more than a half the price of the camera itself.

Forunately a friend has an old airgun reticular sight and he well borrow it to me. I'll have to adapt it until i can buy some appropriate gear.

I think it's possible to order one tube of polytetrafluoroethylene with the proper sizes and screws at the whitesmith. And it would cost 1% of the oficcial one.

Thank you.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 2:09 PM   #7

Electrolyte, Here are a couple images of a RDS sight mount I made to fit FZ18.
( Has been modified now to fit FZ40)

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/c...R/120_2014.jpg

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/c...1_filtered.jpg

Parts; L Brackets, Bar Stock,& Hardware were obtained from local Hardware store. It's simple and not too difficult to make if you have access to and are handy
with basic tools. Primarily, Drill (Preferably drill press) vice. file, etc.
Mount attaches to tripod mount threads.
Wood handle is a convienent, but unnessary, add on..

Hope this helps..Regards, RudyL
Old Jun 29, 2011, 4:00 PM   #8

Very interesting that you've compared so many superzooms and found the FZ40 IQ to be the best.
From what I understand, the D7000 is an outstanding camera, so your standards must be rather high.
Nice to see someone who appreciates the FZ40 for its strentghs without expecting it to be equal to your Nikon DSLR.
Dabbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2011, 6:12 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyL View Post
Electrolyte, Here are a couple images of a RDS sight mount I made to fit FZ18.
( Has been modified now to fit FZ40)

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/c...R/120_2014.jpg

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/c...1_filtered.jpg

Parts; L Brackets, Bar Stock,& Hardware were obtained from local Hardware store. It's simple and not too difficult to make if you have access to and are handy
with basic tools. Primarily, Drill (Preferably drill press) vice. file, etc.
Mount attaches to tripod mount threads.
Wood handle is a convienent, but unnessary, add on..

Hope this helps..Regards, RudyL
Amazing! However your sight seems to have fine adjustments, this way you can quickly correct minor misalignments. I'm not sure if the one i'm gonna use has adjustments. It's not a scope, just a reticle.

I like your mount though. Very creative. Congrats.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabbler View Post
Very interesting that you've compared so many superzooms and found the FZ40 IQ to be the best.
From what I understand, the D7000 is an outstanding camera, so your standards must be rather high.
Nice to see someone who appreciates the FZ40 for its strentghs without expecting it to be equal to your Nikon DSLR.
The D7000 is not mine . A friend has it and he let me use oftenly. I was interested mainly in telephoto and mostly under daylight, so i decided to buy a superzoom P&S. I was about to buy a good quality DSLR and a long lens (maybe a 50-500mm) but after taking a look at those superzooms I could not avoid buying the FZ40 and i payed 1/15 of what i was expecting to pay in a DSLR+Lenses heh. Of course you can't compare the IQ, but i'm just beginning in photography so it's okay.

Thank you.