Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 12, 2004, 1:45 AM   #1

Default fz1 firmware upgrade question

hello. i'm right on the tails of purchasing the fz1.. but before i do that, i would like to know exactly what changes the fz1 firmware upgrade does to the camera?

what additional manual controls does it give you?
naz4viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 12, 2004, 8:42 AM   #2

From the FZ1/2 FAQ post further down the Steve's Panasonic page:
The FZ2 has the following additions to the FZ1:
* Shutter Priority mode (1/2000 to 8 seconds in 1/3EV steps).
* Aperture Priority mode (f/2.8 to f/8.0 in 1/3EV steps).
* Manual white balance adjustment up to +/-1500K in 300K steps, in all white balance modes except [AUTO].
* The zoom magnification ratio is shown on the LCD and the EVF.
* Slightly lower JPEG compression in the 1600 x 1200 mode supposedly resulting in higher quality (but file size is increased by 15-20%).
* The FZ2 holds everything "wide open" at full aperture and max ISO until you depress the shutter button. This helps framing flash shots for capture in dim light.

Clarifications:
You cannot set both shutter and aperture independently. You can set one and force changes in the other by adjusting exposure compensation. You cannot set shutter and aperture in any modes other than P; not in Macro, Night, etc.
White balance (other than auto) can be adjusted +/- blue to red.
Amount of zoom is shown; 1x, 2x,3x,.....12x.
Lower compression: virgin FZ1 is 3.4 bits/pixel at lowest compression (1.7 at high); upgrade is 4.0 bits/pixel (2.0 high).
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2004, 10:53 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmoore
Lower compression: virgin FZ1 is 3.4 bits/pixel at lowest compression (1.7 at high); upgrade is 4.0 bits/pixel (2.0 high).
Where's this info from?
alexo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2004, 12:10 PM   #4

Hmmm... I think from people, who compared Exif info of shots after their FZ1 upgrade and shot's made before.
BTW, Exif info from shots made by FZ2 in Low compression mode - 4bits/pixel
Irbis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2004, 1:24 PM   #5

Alex - As Irbis surmised, I got the compression info by comparing exif data before and after upgrade.
Question: I would like to include a link in the fz1/2 faq regarding the use of a close-up lens to enhance fz1/2 macro zoom capability. I am unsure where to put that; under filters or under shooting techniques. I will leave it up to you. The link is http://www.ishots.net/fz1-2faq/fz1macros.htm
Old Jan 12, 2004, 1:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmoore
Question: I would like to include a link in the fz1/2 faq regarding the use of a close-up lens to enhance fz1/2 macro zoom capability. I am unsure where to put that; under filters or under shooting techniques. I will leave it up to you. The link is http://www.ishots.net/fz1-2faq/fz1macros.htm
I think that info is already in. The mention of the Macro lens in the filters section and the use of the flash in the techniques.

Hmmm... It's possible to add something to the techniques like:

Q. How do I get better Macro pictures?
A. Use an add-on closeup lens (see the filters question).
Also do (blah blah blah...)

Do whatever you think best, just try to avoid duplication.
alexo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2005, 6:58 PM   #7

Did the flash upgrade on my FZ1 TO FZ2....
all is fine A AND S modes are there.
I don't have zoom ratio showing... there is NO additional functions in the display or the EVF

fmoore wrote:
Quote:
From the FZ1/2 FAQ post further down the Steve's Panasonic page:
The FZ2 has the following additions to the FZ1:
* Shutter Priority mode (1/2000 to 8 seconds in 1/3EV steps).
* Aperture Priority mode (f/2.8 to f/8.0 in 1/3EV steps).
* Manual white balance adjustment up to +/-1500�K in 300�K steps, in all white balance modes except [AUTO].
* The zoom magnification ratio is shown on the LCD and the EVF.
* Slightly lower JPEG compression in the 1600 x 1200 mode supposedly resulting in higher quality (but file size is increased by 15-20%).
* The FZ2 holds everything "wide open" at full aperture and max ISO until you depress the shutter button. This helps framing flash shots for capture in dim light.

Clarifications:
You cannot set both shutter and aperture independently. You can set one and force changes in the other by adjusting exposure compensation. You cannot set shutter and aperture in any modes other than P; not in Macro, Night, etc.
White balance (other than auto) can be adjusted +/- blue to red.
Amount of zoom is shown; 1x, 2x,3x,.....12x.
boyzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2005, 9:43 PM   #8

boyzo wrote:
Quote:
I don't have zoom ratio showing... NO additional functions in the display or the EVF
You should see the zoom as nx where n is the amount of zoom. That does not show up on the fz1. Go to menu to AE to select P (program/auto)or A (aperture)or S (shutter).

Full FZ2 manual downloadable as pdf file at http://www.panasonic.ca/PDP/OperatingInstructions/dmcfz2ks-oi-eng.pdf

Old Jan 5, 2005, 11:42 PM   #9

fmoore wrote:
Quote:
boyzo wrote:
Quote:
I don't have zoom ratio showing... NO additional functions in the display or the EVF
You should see the zoom as nx where n is the amount of zoom. That does not show up on the fz1. Go to menu to AE to select P (program/auto) or A (aperture) or S (shutter).

Full FZ2 manual downloadable as pdf file at http://www.panasonic.ca/PDP/OperatingInstructions/dmcfz2ks-oi-eng.pdf
Thanks for info,
I can ue all of the new functions P/S/A np.
was wondering bout the LCD / EVF not showing the Zoom ratio
so only the real FZ2 will display same OK.

boyzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2005, 9:00 AM   #10

boyzo wrote:
Quote:
was wondering bout the LCD / EVF not showing the Zoom ratio
so only the real FZ2 will display same OK.
When you push the zoom lever, the virgin fz1 will show a slider bar indicating the relative level of zoom on the evf/lcd - no numbers. Upon upgrading, that slider bar will have a number to the right (1x, 2x, 3x, ......, 12x) indicating the numerical level of zoom. That is the same as the fz2.