Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

View Poll Results: Can you notice the difference?
Yes 1 50.00%
No (better get a new glasses ) 1 50.00%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jul 14, 2011, 2:25 PM   #1

Default Digital Zoom actually "works"! I can prove! :)

Hello there.
I have a FZ40 and i've never used the digital zoom because i thought it were a simple interpolation. However, i was playing with it today and i can confirm it really works!

It really gets more detail from the subject, and i'm impressed how much.
I think it works because it crops the RAW image and then processes to JPG all the details directly from it, instead of converting to JPG and resizing it.

Look the pictures and take your own conclusions:

here is the picture taken without digital zoom:

Here is the one with digital zoom:

Here is the picture without digital zoom interpolated on computer:

And here is a comparison of both:

- Sorry my ugly calligraphy.

I can clearly notice a difference on sharpness. Maybe it's just me... hehe.

So if you shot JPEGs and want a little bit more zoom, you should definately at least try the digital zoom. Panas wont let you use digital zoom for raw pictures.

I think digital zoom is going to be utterly useful to me, because shooting raw is very slow, and JPEGs won't reproduce all the details precisely.

At least digital zoom seems to put all the details in the JPEGs.

Thanks.

EDIT: oops. the shots are stupidly noisy and washed out because i forgot to reset the image settings (contrast -2, sharpness -2, saturation -2, noise reduction -2)
Attached Images

Last edited by Electrolyte; Jul 14, 2011 at 2:33 PM.
Electrolyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 14, 2011, 3:06 PM   #2

here are some more comparisons now with the in-camera settings that i generally use (contrast 0, sharpness 0, saturation +2, noise reduction +2).
Attached Images

Old Jul 14, 2011, 4:41 PM   #3

Impressive!

In a relationship with a Panasonic Fz40
Hama Macro Filters (+1, +2, +4)

flickr
facebook
xHassan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2011, 9:35 PM   #4

Surprising - I'll have to try it out - thanks for such a thorough presentation of your experiment!

Sony NEX-5, Panasonic fz40
BackyardPermaculture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2011, 2:10 AM   #5

Very interesting test Electrolyte
Old Jul 15, 2011, 4:37 PM   #6

Good experiment Electrolyte, I think most of of us in this forum thought the digital zoom was poor and photoshop / Lightroom could do better, thanks for pointing this out.

I mistakenly was thinking of EZoom for which the following is correct.

Only drawback is you have to drop down the number of pixels you use :

12m = 24x zoom
10m = 28.4x zoom
7m = 33.8x zoom
5m =40.5x zoom
3m = 50.6x zoom

Last edited by Square one; Jul 17, 2011 at 4:34 PM. Reason: whoops, thinking of something else (EZoom)
Square one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2011, 8:04 PM   #7

Thanks guys. By the way, using higher ISOs the difference isn't that noticeable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Square one View Post
Only drawback is you have to drop down the number of pixels you use :
12m = 24x zoom
10m = 28.4x zoom
7m = 33.8x zoom
5m =40.5x zoom
3m = 50.6x zoom
That's the cropping factor (or whathever they call) it's a different thing, i took those pictures at 0.3MP (640x480), summing the digital zoom the total were 202X (the second picture on the first post).

The cropping factor never deteriorates the quality. But the Digital Zoom is belived to do, however, in some cases it does capture more details from the subject. This is because when the camera encodes the raw into a JPEG it does lose some details, and using the digital zoom the camera doesn't convert to JPEG in a 1x1 proportion, so it preserves some more data.

Using a 4X digital zoom means that the center part of the "raw data" will be encoded to JPEG in a proportion of 4x1, so it keeps all the resolution from the raw data. When converting in a 1x1 proportion though, the small details will be lost because of the lossy compression.

At least this is how i think it works.

Thanks.

EDIT: BTW, imho unless you can't see clearly the subject on the screen, or you have a limited memory card, you should never use less than 14MP(or the maximum), because it takes the same amount of time to write a 0.3 and a 14MP JPEG file, so there's no sense in using a smaller resolution, later you can simply crop it on a PC. Some scene modes won't allow you to use the maximum resolution though, like the high sensibility shot (to take pictures at ISOs 3200-6400) or the rapid fire mode (that takes a bunch of pictures per second).

EDIT2: Lemme post some pictures
EDIT3: 2nd and 4th with heavy adjustments.
EDIT4: Sorry the signatures.
Attached Images

Last edited by Electrolyte; Jul 15, 2011 at 8:27 PM.
Old Jul 16, 2011, 2:00 AM   #8

Great shots Electrolyte!!! Congrats
Old Jul 16, 2011, 8:56 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by catalex54 View Post
Great shots Electrolyte!!! Congrats
Thank you!
Btw, the first one is intentionally overexposed to capture the effect of the eye... The original objective were an hdr, but i the bird was moving too much so i kept only the overexposed one.
Old Jul 16, 2011, 9:41 AM   #10
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrolyte View Post
Look the pictures and take your own conclusions:
That's hard to do, other than to conclude that there's a mistake in your workflow.

Why? Check the date/time stamps for when the images were taken. I've added them to your comments below.

Quote:
here is the picture taken without digital zoom:
This image was taken at 2011:07:14 14:48:18

Quote:
Here is the one with digital zoom:
This image was taken at 2011:07:14 14:48:42

Quote:
Here is the picture without digital zoom interpolated on computer:
This image was taken at 2011:07:14 14:48:42 (it's an edited version of the digital zoom image, not of the first image in this series).

I'm not sure what you did. But there was a problem in your workflow, since you're showing one image without digital zoom (first image, taken at 2011:07:14 14:48:18), a digital zoom image (second image, taken at 2011:07:14 14:48:42), and an edited version of the same digital zoom image (third image, taken at 2011:07:14 14:48:42); versus showing a comparison of how the camera's digital zoom compares to cropping and interpolating using a PC.

So, you may want to include links to straight from the camera originals when you make those types of comparisons, so that members can determine for themselves how well a camera's digital zoom works versus just cropping and interpolating an image themselves.

That way, they won't base conclusions on workflow errors, and even if there were not errors, you'd want to better describe workflow (any downsizing, how were they cropped, how much enlargement versus cropping, what kind of interpolation, etc.).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote