Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 21, 2011, 10:51 PM   #1

Default DMC-TZ10 - first impressions

I've been searching for ages trying to find a camera to replace my evergreen (and unfortunately broken) Kodak DX7630 from 2005. That camera always took nice photos for a P&S, even though it was only 6.1MP (which was the bees knees in '05) Some examples of this camera's shots below:

I initially purchased a Kodak M583 off Amazon thinking that P&S Kodak cameras were still of the same quality...but I was horribly wrong. The first M583 took good close up photo's, but wide angle shots ALL had an annoying blur towards the top RHS of the image, so was returned to Amazon. The replacement M583's shutter button didn't even work, so I returned it and got my money back. Some example images below:

So I did further research, (ok a LOT of research) and eventually settled on the Panasonic DMC-TZ10 which seems to have received impressive reviews across the board, including on these forums.

I purchased it off graysonline.com.au as a refurbished unit for AUD$249.95. I was a bit precarious about purchasing a refurbished camera, but the price was great and it came with a 1 year manufacturers warranty. The camera arrived in it's original packaging, with all accessories included. Thankfully the camera is in pristine condition and appears to work perfectly! Here are some example images below (I haven't really got the hang of it yet though):

I'm loving the results so far and I'm sure I can improve on these as I spend more time with the TZ10.

The camera is VASTLY better than the M583, and better than my trusty old DX7630. All the controls are very easy to use and the camera is fast to start up and take pictures with. Lovin' it!

I made the right choice me thinks!

(BTW, these shots were taken on my property that was devastated 6 months ago by category 5 cyclone Yasi - hence why the foliage looks a bit bare!!)
interfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 22, 2011, 11:31 AM   #2

Hi Interfreak. Nice looking shots with the new TZ10, you made a good choice. Looks like you took a hard hit from Yasi.
Looking forward to more posts.

jj
jjdog2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2011, 7:32 AM   #3

Have been fiddling around with the settings on the TZ10, and have all but forgotten about using the Ai mode lol.

At the moment (and after MUCH research and experimentation), I have set up two custom settings in the 'Cust' area to try and get the best low light and good light shots. Let me know if I have optimised the settings as bet I can!

Cust1 (Good lighting conditions)
Picture Size - 12MP
Intelligent ISO - Off
ISO Sensitivity - 80 (forced)
White Balance - Auto
Pre AF - Q.AF
I.Exposure - High
I.Resolution - i.Zoom
Digital Zoom - Off
Picture Adj:
Contrast 0
Sharpness +1
Saturation +1
Noise Reduction -1
Stabilizer - Mode 1

Cust2 (Low lighting conditions)
Picture Size - 12MP
Intelligent ISO - Off
ISO Sensitivity - Auto
White Balance - Auto
Pre AF - Q.AF
I.Exposure - High
I.Resolution - On
Digital Zoom - Off
Picture Adj:
Contrast 0
Sharpness +2
Saturation +1
Noise Reduction +2
Stabilizer - Auto

All other settings are the same between both custom modes.

Please let me know your thoughts guys! Any suggestions on how to improve these settings further, and info about your own experiences would be greatly appreciated.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 7:49 AM   #4

Can't help much with the settings, never have used a TZ10. Experimentation is the best way to learn how to get the most out your camera. Hope you post some shots from your part of the world.

jj
Old Jul 25, 2011, 8:02 AM   #5

Thanks jjdog2. I did take some more on the weekend, here's a couple of the better ones. Can't wait to keep experimenting!:

Old Jul 25, 2011, 8:57 AM   #6

Looks like your settings are working just fine, nice looking shots. Nice looking detail on the bird shot. What kind of bird is that?

jj
Old Jul 25, 2011, 1:53 PM   #7

Congrats for your new acquisition. Kodak 7630 produces too much chromatic aberration for my tastes (purple fringing). Panasonic TZ10 is way better imho. The extra megapixels will allow you to crop the images a little, because unless you're going to print on a huge paper it will not make that difference.
Electrolyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2011, 4:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjdog2 View Post
Looks like your settings are working just fine, nice looking shots. Nice looking detail on the bird shot. What kind of bird is that?

jj
Thanks mate! The bird is a Kookaburra, a native Australian bird.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 7:38 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by interfreak View Post
Thanks mate! The bird is a Kookaburra, a native Australian bird.

Thanks for the ID, cool looking bird. Would love to see some more, just start a new thread so it will not get lost in this one.

jj
Old Jul 26, 2011, 8:14 AM   #10

Great shots Interfreak!! Lovely colors, sharp and details. Congrats