Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 18, 2004, 5:40 PM   #11

Default The red hand of the FZ10

The red hand is just precautionary. At speeds of 1/125th or faster, you probably can take pretty sharp pictures even without OIS, just as you can with any camera that doesn't have a stabilization capability (which is almost every camera ever made).

As other postings in various threads have suggested, you can just try this yourself. Find a lighting situation where 1/60th is an appropriate shutter speed, and take a couple of 6x zoom pictures with OIS2, OIS1, and OIS off. Do the same at 1/30th, 1/15th, etc., adjusting aperture to maintain reasonable exposure. Then, examine them full-size on the computer.

That will show you two things: 1) whether OIS does anything at all; 2) the slowest speed at which OIS will work for you. The benefit will also depend on how much zoom you're using, of course: 12x zoom magnifies shaking 12x. At 1x zoom, you can benefit from OIS at much slower shutter speeds than at 12x.
Charlie Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2004, 12:54 PM   #12

Well I tested the camera out at a local Ritzcamera. I was really taken away with it. The only problems I found with it are ones that all the current long zoom ones have.
I guess I was a bit disappointed of low long the shutter should (for optimal brightness) stay open at the full telephoto. But that is something that is all cameras would have.
The OIS is amazing. Full telephoto at 1/50 of a second at F2.8 and 50 ISO and you get crystal sharp pictures.

There were only two problems that I found. The LCD doesn't brighten up so you can see what you are taking (which can be good and bad, because in full manual mode, it shows what the final picture would look like). And the noise was just a bit above normal, but still quite acceptable, and the noise that did exist at ISO 50-100 could easily be fixed with NeatImage or similar.

I guess some people wouldn't like that it doesn't have a RAW or TIFF format. But with my older digital camera, which did have that function, I found that I rarely used it.

There are a couple other things that I wish were a bit easier, but not a big problem. Like you can't have manual settings with macro; but you can get around that by setting the settings in the manual mode, and then switching to macro. And the camera takes great macro shots.

And even though the lighting conditions were not the best (not really bad either, but far from perfect) I found that the auto focus did a pretty good job. Not great, but good. And I really like that manual focus feature that bloats up the center of the screen, really helpful.

And the flash wasn't anything special, but I didn't have any red eye even without the anti-red-eye flash setting (however I only took one picture, so I might have been lucky)

I really think I will buy one sometime soon. http://www.digitalfotoclub.com/sc/ma...p?id=964589598

Anyone else buy from them? Because that price is really good. ($495 +shipping)

And does anyone know of any other places that sell it for cheap?

I have a question. Can the firmware of the FZ10 be updated? Because if they added a RAW or TIFF format, that would be great
blinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2004, 2:45 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinblue

I have a question. Can the firmware of the FZ10 be updated? Because if they added a RAW or TIFF format, that would be great
The firmware is upgradeable, and YES it would be nice to have a TIFF option.
Guerito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2004, 12:16 PM   #14

I surprised myself when I put the FZ10 ISO settings on Auto and took a picture in my dimly lit living room using the built-in flash. The picture was bright as daylight.

If I manually set the ISO to 50, then the picture is not bright enough. In fact, it very accurately represents the actual lighting of the living room.

If I set the ISO to 100, then the picture is just bright enough to pass the test.

all this using the built in flash.
chiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2004, 2:40 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinblue
I really think I will buy one sometime soon. http://www.digitalfotoclub.com/sc/ma...p?id=964589598

Anyone else buy from them? Because that price is really good. ($495 +shipping)

And does anyone know of any other places that sell it for cheap?
I just placed my order with digitalfofoclub.com on 1/15. The camera didn't ship until 1/19, but according to the tracking information it will be here on 1/22.

I did find the camera at ********.net for $474, but cancelled that order. I posted this on another site, but I had terrible results with ********.net:

I placed an order with ********.net on 1/9/2004 for a Panasonic FZ10 Digital camera. This was a Friday afternoon, so I didn't expect the order to ship until Monday. After checking Monday evening and Tuesday morning for a tracking number and not finding one I decided to call. I waited on hold for about 10 minutes and found out that they were having problems verifying my Home address with my CC Company. The CSR said he would transfer me to accounting to straighten it out.

I got transferred directly to someone's voice mail. I left a message and waited. After about two hours I decided to also send an email. After another two hours I called again (another 10 minute hold). I explained that was told that I needed to talk to someone in accounting and the last time I just got voice mail. The CSR said he would go talk to the accounting manager. After 5 more minutes on hold I was told that they would ship my order.

By Wednesday afternoon there was still no tracking information on the website, so I decided to go through the 10 minute wait and call customer service again. I was told that my order had already shipped, and the tracking information would be availble late Wednesday afternoon or Thursday morning.

Noon on Thursday came around and I still didn't have a tracking number. I first sent an email. No response. I then called at 3:00 and sat on hold (total of 20 minutes during this call). I was told that the Silver version of the camera was back-ordered (there were 11 in stock when I ordered a week prior). I explained the problems I've had so far, and asked that they substitute the black version. After holding, I was told the black was out of stock also. The website said that there were supposed to be 68 in stock.

At this point I cancelled my order and found a different vendor.
Innova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2004, 5:35 PM   #16

OK, thanks for that horror story. I guess I won't do ********.com anytime soon.
blinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2004, 5:56 PM   #17

Default great price available

OneCall is selling the FZ10 for $500 which includes shipping ($488 + $12 shipping) until 1/26 but their main web site offers it for $540 + shipping. You can also get a 5 year warranty (from date of purchase) for $70, well worth it. (If you do not use the warranty at all, they will issue store credit for half the amount. )

Go to http://www.onecall.com/Shipping.SHP?...z10k&PMNID=732

to see the details.

When you call them and they quote you the higher price, make reference to the above site and they will honor that price. Silver or black.

OneCall is absolutely trustworthy. I have been buying from them for more than a dozen years, they ship 2-3 day Express, and have great reputation all over the web.

Shelly
shelly schachter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2004, 12:28 AM   #18

Back to the original post. By all means get one. Enjoy. This camera is fun to use. I use mine for profesional xray copy for digital hospital presentations and the image stabilization is amazing for this application. Sharp Sharp!! handhelds closups that used to take a tripod. We started out in full manual mode, manual focus, spot metering with sparate focus and freeze spot exposures with the shutter half depressed recompose and shoot in close up macro mode. We got good at it. But learned the camera is smart and does a very good job in Program mode. It defaults to macro when needed. Gives it an incredible focuse and composure/ zoom range. Then, it turns out we can either spot meter recompose for perfect exposure adjustmet or simply arrow up and shift the exposure to our liking with one button press. I have used previously used professional nikon copy lenses and slr's (wonderful 35 mm cameras) for this function. I am very impressed with the Panasonic F10.
At my son's track meet I had fun at full telephoto. It is very interesting to press the menu and select the stabilization. Turns out you can look through the menu lines and see the picture between the menu choices. You can watch as you turn the image stabilization mode 1 off and on. It makes a huge difference in picture shake when focused and telephotod on a far subject. Like shake shake shake jiggley jiggley, then no shake. Big help on my close up macro shots too. I have point and shoot cameras, digitals and slr's. It has been fun to see just how bright and intelligent this camera and its user interface are. It's also fun to hear the digitally simulated mirror slap shutter click noise. The engineers worked on that one. Simulates a manual slr noise.
It is also pleasant to carry in the camera bag. I have to check and remind myself its really there. It feels like no weight at all. Very pleasant for such a telephoto macro package.

Get one get one fast and have fun. I had good luck with Video Direct in Fort Lauderdale www.videodirect.com. But get one of these before they are discovered. By the way, the Leica forum guys hint that the F10 panasonic is made out of pressed sintered powedered magnesium for weight and strenth. You couldn't buy such a high tech manufacturing technique outside of the space shuttle if people knew what was in it. This is like the highest tech metalurgy available for any price, anywhere for precision casting. google for powdered metallurgy or compressed powder metallurgy to read more about the technique.

I lkie the camera enough to post my name and stand behind this recommendation.

Daniel Miller, MD DABR, BSEE
miller342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2004, 5:39 PM   #19

The stabilization definitely works at slow speeds. Iím a little perplexed why the stabilization takes a while to spin up in mode 1 stabilization but doesnít seem to have a problem with mode 2 which is supposed to be stronger. Mode 2 stabilizes only when you take the shot so the viewfinder jiggles but the shot is sharp. Iím guessing the stabilization is spinning and just engages when you shoot.

Some things I donít like about the camera:
The EVF is really crappy compared to my 2 year old Minolta D7i. Newer top of the line cameras have really nice EVFs.
You have to access the menu to get into and out of spot metering Ė not enough manual controls.
The mode dial is smaller than the one on my pocket camera and doesnít have any custom modes Ė a big drawback to me as I use them all the time on other cameras. And since you arenít adding custom modes why not have a little larger dial and have separate A, S & M? Totally menu driven camera.
No raw or even SHQ. I regularly shoot raw but even SHQ would be an improvement over standard JPG.
No panorama mode Ė you have to switch to manual. More menu stuff.
No low light noise reduction advertised although someone on another thread thinks it has it in manual mode.
Have to remove the lens hood to use flash. They made a pop-up flash but didnít have it go high enough to clear the lens hood.
Weak flash.
Poor low light focus with no assist.

I was pleased to find a continuous focus mode even though it wasnít in any of the advertised specs I have seen. And the menu navigation is well set up Ė good thing since you spend far too much time in menus.

I actually like the plastic(?) case since I think it might be the part of the reason the camera is so light. Since Panasonic has been mum about the body I assume it probably isnít some super expensive space age material Ė Panasonic seems to have had the price point firmly in mind when they designed the camera. But it seems strong enough and is amazingly light for the size and lens.

There is nothing to compare to the 12X stabilized lens currently on the market and the camera is a lot of fun for outdoor shooting. The stabilization is also terrific for available light in a normal zoom range. I have gotten sharp images down to 1/6 second hand held indoors although you have to really steady the camera and take a few shots as all of them donít come out sharp. Somewhat makes up for the weak flash. And there is a hot shoe if you want some serious flash capability if you can get it focused. The battery is sufficient to fill a 256Mb card if I donít leave the LCD on too much. Although I donít regret buying the camera I would gladly have paid a hundred bucks more to get a camera that was the equal of the lens it is attached to.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2004, 8:21 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by parallel
TimXX,
You can see an example of an indoor shot, without flash, of "Helen" at http://www.e-photoworks.com/albinato...uuid=67&aid=90
This was taken handheld at 1/10 second. One could NOT do that without IS.

Great camera capabilities - loved your snow scene and creek shot
lima is offline   Reply With Quote