Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 13, 2004, 6:33 PM   #1

Default comment on NeatImage

hello again...
ok, so the camera i want delivers a lot of noise on the higher ISO levels (like 200 or 400). i was just wondering how effective is the use of NeatImage to clean the image...? i checked the NeatImage website and it does indeed have a profile for the camera i want (panasonic fz1)....

does anyone have this camera and used NeatImage to clean up the noise at higher ISOs ? please post before & after sample photos.. that would be very much appreciated.. thank you.
naz4viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 13, 2004, 7:27 PM   #2

FZ1; ISO 400; f2.8; 1/8s

Unfiltered - original at http://www.ishots.net/lowlite/unedited.htm

Filtered in Neat Image using fz1 profile - original at http://www.ishots.net/lowlite/neat_image.htm

Also removed facial hair from coconut/pumkin
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2004, 9:18 PM   #3

I have the demo, and it is really amazing. It does what it says it does. The final image looks a lot better with minimal downsides. Very easy for everyone (the more you know, the better results, but even a new user can catch on really quick).
blinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2004, 10:42 PM   #4

I've used NeatImage with my FZ1 on IR photos prior to upgrading the firmware. The only way to get the IR shots prior to getting the manual settings with the firmware was to set the ISO higher, increase the exposure compensation, and put the camera in nightmode to trick it into longer exposures. I don't have any before shots -- just after, but to be honest I'm not even sure which pictures these are in my IR library. They turned out spectacularly though -- cleaned up some very noisey IR shots.

With the manual features of the upgrade, I can keep the ISO low and manually set the exposure to get what I want with minimal noise.
EffZeeOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2004, 8:55 AM   #5

Chris - Please post a link to your IR shots. Thanks
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2004, 10:30 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinblue
I have the demo, and it is really amazing. It does what it says it does. The final image looks a lot better with minimal downsides. Very easy for everyone (the more you know, the better results, but even a new user can catch on really quick).
What's the difference between the demo and the full product?
alexo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2004, 11:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmoore
Chris - Please post a link to your IR shots. Thanks
I don't have many posted yet, but do have a few up on a website I created just prove that IR photography was possible with the FZ1. There was a rumor going around the various forums that the FZ1 couldn't do IR shots.

Here's the initial website I created:
FZ1 IR Shots (How-To)

And here's some more IR shots that I just threw up there quickly to show how things turn out with the R72 filter:
FZ1+Hoya R72 IR Shots

None of these are anywhere close to my best IR shots to date. I really need to make some time to get more of the pictures up on the website. With the firmware upgrade, I've been experimenting with the manual white balance, and ending up with some really nice color shots that pretty much require no post processing at all. I set the manual white balance using a white index card at the site, and then tweak it even further into the blue using the white balance fine tuning from the upgrade. I'm hoping it will eventually become second nature to me to configure the camera quickly for IR shots, because I don't have much time to dedicate to my hobby, so most of the shots are impromptu detours in my rather busy every day life. I wish I had more time to really goof around with it!
Old Jan 15, 2004, 10:20 AM   #8

Default Your IR shots

Hi Chris,

Several questions:

1. Your Hoya pics are B&W. Did you do any post processing on them or used the B&W mode of the camera?

2. I'd like to add something about IR photography to the FAQ. Would you help formulate it when you have some free time?

Thanks,
Alex
alexo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2004, 11:13 AM   #9

Default Re: Your IR shots

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexo
Hi Chris,

Several questions:

1. Your Hoya pics are B&W. Did you do any post processing on them or used the B&W mode of the camera?

2. I'd like to add something about IR photography to the FAQ. Would you help formulate it when you have some free time?

Thanks,
Alex
1. Some of the pictures I used the b/w mode of the camera and others I converted them to greyscale using PSP8. Most of my recent IR shots are in color because I figured out that manually setting the white balance works very well for getting some nice IR shots that don't always require post processing.

2. Sure. We'd definitely need to mention methods of taking IR shots with a stock FZ1 and the upgraded FZ1, because my procedure and configuration for taking pictures before and after the upgrade are very different because of the additional manual settings.
Old Jan 15, 2004, 11:25 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexo
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinblue
What's the difference between the demo and the full product?
http://www.neatimage.com/featuremap.html
blinblue is offline   Reply With Quote