Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 30, 2011, 9:48 PM   #1

Default FZ35 - some butterfly shots

I have not posted anything recently, but have shot many pictures. Here are few from recent sessions -- all butterflies, except one.

I've had mixed success. Allowing enough time for the camera to focus has been a real challenge. My experience has shown that Area-1 is the best focus choice. Spot will work, if the shot is broadside, with much area of the insect to read. Sometimes there isn't a shot if waiting too long for final focus. Patience!

All were shot in P mode, AutoISO, AutoWB, exposure: center weighted, AFMacro, Picture: Sharpness 2, Contrast 2, Saturation 2, Noise -2. These were shot with a bare camera. Some PP with Picasa, including some cropping.
Attached Images

roger53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 30, 2011, 9:49 PM   #2

A few more,...
Attached Images

Old Jul 30, 2011, 9:54 PM   #3

Very nice series! I particularly like the shot with the butterfly on the yellow flower and the last shot. Beautiful contrasting colours and sharpness!
Old Jul 30, 2011, 10:00 PM   #4

I like the buckeye butterfly, very nice.

Panasonic FZ150, FZ35 and GF1; Nikonos V when underwater

~~Art is in the eye of the camera holder~~
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2011, 11:44 PM   #5

I like #3 and #4. Great colors and lighting! I especially like the lighting in #4, the butterfly's wings seem back-lit.
JeannieBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2011, 1:28 AM   #6

Great macro series Roger!! lovely colors and compositions.
Old Jul 31, 2011, 1:51 AM   #7

Great macro series, roger. I love the most No. 4 & 5.

Jeff

FZ40 & FinePix J27,28,29
UJEFROCNROL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2011, 10:07 PM   #8

Thanks for all the comments, and compliments.

But, I think I need a break. Despite moving into the heart of butterfly season (and this is what I've been waiting a long time for), I think I am putting my FZ35 on the shelf. I left it at home today. After so many failures on Saturday and Sunday, I am just frustrated and discouraged. I just do not know why I cannot get consistent shots. I've had many ideal setups, good light, plenty of time, and I just cannot get the camera to focus properly. Some portion of the image is in focus, so I do not think it is the steadiness in my hand. I've lost some great opportunities.

I pulled out the LC55 again, thinking perhaps I could improve. Nothing. The only thing the LC55 does is make a round frame for the shot. I have never had one keeper from the LC55. I made some trials again yesterday, and I find no difference in image size with or without the LC55 mounted. In other words, there is no magnification. It is acting just like a plain lens protector at the end of the tube. I have had no success in previous attempts, but took yesterday to try to learn more about the usefulness. I think that was the final straw with the LC55.

I think I will try to rid myself of the LC55, perhaps recoup some of my money. Is Craig's list a good place to start? I do not do e-bay transactions.

Thanks to all for the help over the past few months.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 10:37 PM   #9

If you're manually focusing your camera, is it possible that you may need to have your eyes checked? I'm thankful that my camera has a diopter adjustment, but even then I don't entirely trust it, because I've had several slightly-out-of-focus pictures back when I was buying film and paying someone to process it. But it has been nice to be able to use my camera without my glasses and without having to buy a diopter!

Regardless, not every frame is going to be a keeper; you need to come to terms with that. It's part of being a photographer.

But, if you need a break, take a break! And go get your eyes checked!
JeannieBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2011, 3:22 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger53 View Post
Thanks for all the comments, and compliments.

But, I think I need a break. Despite moving into the heart of butterfly season (and this is what I've been waiting a long time for), I think I am putting my FZ35 on the shelf. I left it at home today. After so many failures on Saturday and Sunday, I am just frustrated and discouraged. I just do not know why I cannot get consistent shots. I've had many ideal setups, good light, plenty of time, and I just cannot get the camera to focus properly. Some portion of the image is in focus, so I do not think it is the steadiness in my hand. I've lost some great opportunities.

I pulled out the LC55 again, thinking perhaps I could improve. Nothing. The only thing the LC55 does is make a round frame for the shot. I have never had one keeper from the LC55. I made some trials again yesterday, and I find no difference in image size with or without the LC55 mounted. In other words, there is no magnification. It is acting just like a plain lens protector at the end of the tube. I have had no success in previous attempts, but took yesterday to try to learn more about the usefulness. I think that was the final straw with the LC55.

I think I will try to rid myself of the LC55, perhaps recoup some of my money. Is Craig's list a good place to start? I do not do e-bay transactions.

Thanks to all for the help over the past few months.
Roger, do you have the LA3 adapter?

Do you setting the Converter ON?

Look at pg. 190 and 191 of the User Manual:

http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPER...MCFZ35-ADV.PDF

And look this threads:

http://borneoreflections.blogspot.co...-dmw-lc55.html

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pa...-question.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWyO1UJqvXI

I hope that this can help you

Last edited by catalex54; Aug 2, 2011 at 4:18 AM.
catalex54 is offline   Reply With Quote