Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 3, 2011, 1:27 PM   #1

Default Macro help

I needed advice regarding a Nikon D3100 with an 18-55 NIKKOR AF.

I was wondering if you have an apparatus similar to an LA5-LC55 for the FZ40 for macro shots? Like I keep my standard lens but change its minimum focal distance somehow? Any one with any ideas or done this before?

In a relationship with a Panasonic Fz40
Hama Macro Filters (+1, +2, +4)

flickr
facebook
xHassan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 3, 2011, 1:32 PM   #2

I've never done it myself... But, I've seen good results from folks using extension tubes.
JeannieBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2011, 5:07 PM   #3

Yeah that was my prime concern. I use a tube. 52mm to whatever extension, what lens do you mount on top of that?

flickr
facebook
Old Aug 3, 2011, 6:32 PM   #4

They are called diopters though often referred to as close up lenses. They come in deferent strengths +2 +4 etc. You just get them in the size you need to match the filter treads on the front of the lens (52mm on your lens) These are fairly inexpensive and some times come in sets. But you should know, now that you have a DSLR there are better (but more expensive) options if you do a lot of this type of image. You should look in to macro lenses

Quote:
Originally Posted by xHassan View Post
Yeah that was my prime concern. I use a tube. 52mm to whatever extension, what lens do you mount on top of that?
On a DSLR the diopter goes right on the lens (no tube) They do make extension tubes that go between the camera and lens for macro work

Last edited by tjsnaps; Aug 3, 2011 at 6:37 PM.
tjsnaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2011, 4:46 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsnaps View Post
They are called diopters though often referred to as close up lenses. They come in deferent strengths +2 +4 etc. You just get them in the size you need to match the filter treads on the front of the lens (52mm on your lens) These are fairly inexpensive and some times come in sets. But you should know, now that you have a DSLR there are better (but more expensive) options if you do a lot of this type of image. You should look in to macro lenses

On a DSLR the diopter goes right on the lens (no tube) They do make extension tubes that go between the camera and lens for macro work
I am still a PnS guy. I was asking it for a friend coz I was unable to help him out at all. And thanks a LOT. It was indeed very informative for me

flickr
facebook