Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 6, 2011, 8:39 AM   #1

Default Lc-55 v Hoya Close up

Could anyone tell me do these basically do the same job ?
I don't think it's a thing i would use regularly so looking at the difference in price (50 ish) would the Hoya be a decent buy ?

Thanks
Forzahibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 6, 2011, 10:45 AM   #2

Hi,
You can as long as you have the DMW adaptor and the Hoya thread diameter matches it.
How it will perform vis-a vis the LC55 will depend on its Dioptor e.g. +1,+2..+3 etc.
LC55 is optimised for the Panasonic FZs.I assume you are posing your question vis-a- vis FZ camera.Hope this helps
wanaclick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2011, 11:26 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanaclick View Post
Hi,
You can as long as you have the DMW adaptor and the Hoya thread diameter matches it.
How it will perform vis-a vis the LC55 will depend on its Dioptor e.g. +1,+2..+3 etc.
LC55 is optimised for the Panasonic FZs.I assume you are posing your question vis-a- vis FZ camera.Hope this helps
Sorry i should have said it's for an FZ 38 . I believe i can get the Hoya in 46mm so it will screw straight on like any other filter (won't it)
What would be the diopter to go for in your opinion ? and what difference would it give me ?
Appreciate your help
Old Aug 6, 2011, 2:26 PM   #4

You can go +10 if that were available.You will have to decide how much magnification you would want.+3 or +4 may suffice. Also you can stack +1,+2,+3 to get +6 effectively.But you have to adjust the exposure real well if you stack.

In addition to the LC 55 I also bought a set of 3 close up dioptors from a lesser known Japanese company Called STAR for just $20.they come +1,+2 and +3,good enough.Tiffen and others also make them,but you may have to search for them.I too have the FZ 38/35 and love it.Hope that helps.

Last edited by wanaclick; Aug 6, 2011 at 2:27 PM. Reason: spelling error
wanaclick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2011, 3:16 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanaclick View Post
You can go +10 if that were available.You will have to decide how much magnification you would want.+3 or +4 may suffice. Also you can stack +1,+2,+3 to get +6 effectively.But you have to adjust the exposure real well if you stack.

In addition to the LC 55 I also bought a set of 3 close up dioptors from a lesser known Japanese company Called STAR for just $20.they come +1,+2 and +3,good enough.Tiffen and others also make them,but you may have to search for them.I too have the FZ 38/35 and love it.Hope that helps.
I appreciate your help , thanks very much
Old Aug 6, 2011, 4:50 PM   #6

You need to be careful about attaching extra weight to the main lens barrel, the motor is not designed to move the extra weight. It can only handle thin light weight filters like UV or polarizer.

Also, the extension tube (adapter) adds magnification (2x, I think) so you will get less magnification if you attach the diopter directly to the lens. The tube is a fairly cheap investment to save your main lens, plus 55mm (size of extension adapter) diopters are easier to find than 46mm, I think.

Panasonic FZ150, FZ35 and GF1; Nikonos V when underwater

~~Art is in the eye of the camera holder~~
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2011, 5:23 PM   #7

I second what saly has said, the cost of the LA3 adapter tube will pay for itself

Another close-up lens you might want to consider is the Canon 500D, there are many example of it's use in this forum by ujef, certainly proved its a good piece of glass.

If you still want to consider the Hoya, make sure it consists of two elements, a single WILL give inferior results.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 4:44 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by saly View Post
You need to be careful about attaching extra weight to the main lens barrel, the motor is not designed to move the extra weight. It can only handle thin light weight filters like UV or polarizer.

Also, the extension tube (adapter) adds magnification (2x, I think) so you will get less magnification if you attach the diopter directly to the lens. The tube is a fairly cheap investment to save your main lens, plus 55mm (size of extension adapter) diopters are easier to find than 46mm, I think.
So are you saying that the extension tube attaches to the part where the hood goes on ? If so i didn't realise that
Old Aug 7, 2011, 7:01 AM   #9

The adapter tube screws into the chrome surround (camera casing) of the lens. If you buy one, you can't fit it incorrectly.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 7:30 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Square one View Post
The adapter tube screws into the chrome surround (camera casing) of the lens. If you buy one, you can't fit it incorrectly.
For some reason i always imagined it screwed to the barrel . Does that mean any other 52mm filter would fix to the adaptor tube too ?
Sounds to me that's the way to go , i'm still undecided whether to buy an SLR (Nikon D3100) or add to what i already have (FZ38)

Last edited by Forzahibs; Aug 7, 2011 at 7:35 AM.