Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 14, 2004, 9:43 PM   #1

Default Housing for FZ10?

Is anyone aware of a housing that fits the FZ10 that would protect it against rain, water, salt spray if not total submersion (underwater housing)? I don't intend to fully submerse the camera, but rather want to protect it from wet hands and spray. I intend to use the FZ10 from my sea kayak this summer and further experiment with the image-stabilizing system.

PS: Of course I could have chosen the Olympus 750 (or others) and bought the underwater housing made specifically for them but I simply prefer the FZ10. I am resigned to just slip it in and out of a drybag if not housing option exists.
FrankFZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 14, 2004, 11:02 PM   #2

Default Underwater casing for the DMC-FZ10

I can't seem to find the link right now, but I do remember at one point finding 4 or 5 different links for that. The one that seem most affordable was just an air tight sandwich bag with a piece that clipped around the 72mm lens.

FZFUN
FZFUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2004, 12:01 AM   #3

The most recommended manufacturer seems to be Ewa Marine. For the FZ10 the following case would probably fit (it fits the FZ1 with room to spare):

http://www.ewa-marine.de/English/e-start-photo.htm

You can also go back to the home page from the above link and check out everything else they offer. These are true diving cases, and they're not cheap (from what I understand).

I've read where people use heavy duty ziplock freezer bags that they've modified by attaching and sealing two UV filters in such a way that it sort of sandwiches the bag inbetween the two filters. You then attach your camera/lens barrel adapter to the filter on the inside of the bag. Some folks have even reported shallow diving with this type of configuration, but I wouldn't trust it for anything more than moisture or an accidental drop/quick recovery in the water.

If you're mainly worried about spray and the elements (cold, mist, etc.), you may be fine with something like this:

It can be had for $30 at Porters Camera Store. I felt it was too big for my FZ1, but thought it was a great idea. Here's the link to Porter's:

Pelican Camera Protector @ Porters Camera Store
EffZeeOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2004, 10:05 AM   #4

Thanks - the ewa-marine PVC bag would be perfect although pricey. I emailed ewa-marine and RTSphoto (apparently the US distributor) asking them which bag to use with the FZ10 - I'll report back with their recommendation. Also called B&H. They suggested emailing ewa to see if the D-A housing shown on their website for the FZ1 would work. Corrent price of the D-A housing: $219.
Old Jan 16, 2004, 10:09 AM   #5

If you can't find a housing made specifically for the FZ-10, you might want to check out the EWA-Marine model UAMZ for long zoom digital cameras. It's the generic model for digital cameras with dimensions that fall within 3.5Hx6Lx5D. This should work for the FZ-10. B&H Photo Vidoe has it for $75
Harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2004, 10:48 AM   #6

Default Ewa-Marine Worked good but Focus Tough

I bought an EWA Marine bag to protect my pre-FZ10 Sony DSC-S85 for a boating and snorkeling vacation in the Domincan Republic. I got it from Adorma -- good price & good service.

It kept the camera safe BUT you need to be careful that the part of the flexible housing around lens does NOT shift and block part of the lens field of view. You can also solve this by putting a tube in the lens part of the housing that will keep it from becoming misaligned.

Focus Issue. What worked best with the Sony was to set it at infinite focus because focusing through the combination of lens, housing and dive mask was next to impossible. Setting the FZ10 to infinite focus needs to be reaccomplished each time you turn it back on -- I think. If you know how to keep the FZ set to infinite focus please let me know.

Good luck.

Rob
robsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2004, 6:06 PM   #7

ewa-marine replied back regarding housing for FZ-10. Per email, the D-A will fit the FZ10. In addition, they recommended purchasing the CA72 which secures the housing to the 72mm hood. The U-AMZ will not work.