Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jan 15, 2004, 2:39 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
alexo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 232
Default Marketing

Read this post on Phil's about Sony's view of revew sites and forums, then contrast is with Panasonic's view.
alexo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 15, 2004, 3:40 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Panasonic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 321
Default

It certaily demonstrates that Sony places many eggs in one basket. As I have said many times, the comments in these forums are shared with our people regularly. We value and appreciate them.

However, it must be understood that the users here represent but a slice of the entire DSC industry. Their comments do not comments and needs cannot and shoild not be considere to represent the entire industry. We've chosen to have these comments weigh in to the overall plan which is a well balanced mix.
Panasonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2004, 3:47 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Panasonic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 321
Default

Sorry for the typos! It's been a long week!
Panasonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2004, 3:58 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
alexo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 232
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panasonic
It certaily demonstrates that Sony places many eggs in one basket. As I have said many times, the comments in these forums are shared with our people regularly. We value and appreciate them.

However, it must be understood that the users here represent but a slice of the entire DSC industry. Their comments do not comments and needs cannot and shoild not be considere to represent the entire industry. We've chosen to have these comments weigh in to the overall plan which is a well balanced mix.
Bob,

This was not an attack on Panasonic, just an observation.

I did not add the relevant quote originally (edited to include the link now), which was:
"The people in these forums represent anout .0000000001 % of the decision process."

Which is te better strategy? Time will tell...
alexo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2004, 12:43 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Panasonic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 321
Default

I didn't take it as an attack and I can understand the logic that may have led to the comment that was made. When at a trade show it's wise to focus on the interests of those who attend. Remember, it's a big PR show!

Phil's web site (or any web site) presents the opinion of the person who reviews the camera. Often the opinions are conclusions that may not have been arrived at from using standardized testing, and in some case the conclusions may be inaccurate. If you pick one camera and compare the reviews you find on line they seldom agree. How many times has one site trashed a camera when another loves it? If the review was based on standardized testing procedures the results would be more meaningful.

There is no doubt that web sites like Phil's or this one do sell cameras, but I honestly believe that the amout they influence sales is often exaggerated. This past week I had a lengthy conversation with someone who is reviewing the FZ10 for a national photographic column. He has has about 40 years of professional photographic experience. He commented that many of the larger sites now appear to doing editorial evaluations insted of technical evaluations. I somewhat disagree, but I do recognize the absence of technical specs such as chroma and luminance signal to noise measurements or measurements of the optical performance.

These parameters tell the true camera performance without the opinions and to those who understand the specifications it provides an absolute measurement of performance and comparison.
Panasonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2004, 1:47 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
alexo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 232
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panasonic
I didn't take it as an attack and I can understand the logic that may have led to the comment that was made. When at a trade show it's wise to focus on the interests of those who attend. Remember, it's a big PR show!
Good, we're in agreement then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panasonic
Phil's web site (or any web site) presents the opinion of the person who reviews the camera.
Not really. You ignore the Phil's forums which represent the aggregated opinion of thousands of enthusiasts that are the target market for at least some of your products.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panasonic
There is no doubt that web sites like Phil's or this one do sell cameras, but I honestly believe that the amout they influence sales is often exaggerated. This past week I had a lengthy conversation with someone who is reviewing the FZ10 for a national photographic column. He has has about 40 years of professional photographic experience.
Will you update us when this review is available? ALthough I personally decided against buying the FZ10, I still find it an interesting camera and would like to see a professional review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panasonic
He commented that many of the larger sites now appear to doing editorial evaluations insted of technical evaluations. I somewhat disagree, but I do recognize the absence of technical specs such as chroma and luminance signal to noise measurements or measurements of the optical performance.

These parameters tell the true camera performance without the opinions and to those who understand the specifications it provides an absolute measurement of performance and comparison.
The problem is that you have to have a good mixture of both. It often happens that one product looks superior to another "on paper" but in reality the situation is reversed.


The moral of my original post is:
If you want to influence the direction of future digital cameras, bitch to Sony, not to Panasonic.
alexo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2004, 2:44 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 55
Default

the easy answer to the underlying question would be in finding out how many people actually read the personal reviews in the forums, other than the forum members, which are just a handful.
chiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2004, 3:28 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
alexo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 232
Default Here are some stats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiks
the easy answer to the underlying question would be in finding out how many people actually read the personal reviews in the forums, other than the forum members, which are just a handful.
Let's take dpreview as our example.

Phil maintains traffic statistical data here
Alexa measured his traffic here
alexo is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 1:55 AM.