Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 16, 2011, 7:11 AM   #1

Default What MP, Aspect for best pic/space ZS7

Hi guys,

I admit I am a beginner, and I do not have a professional camera. but the one I bought I am pretty happy with it -- Panasonic ZS7. i wanted to ask a couple of questions:

1) what aspect should I shoot in 4:3 or 16x9. I am kind of video freak, but in the case of pictures my roomate says I should shoot 4:3

2) What megapixel setting provides the best balance between picture quality and size? -- 5 MP, 8 MP? I do not really think I want to shoot with 12 MP. I believe the files are too big and it is really too hard to send pictures to someone via email. I have to spend 20 minutes resizing every single image so i can send it..

So any advice on the above for my camera model would be much appreciated!

Cheers,
kc
KurtCocain is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 16, 2011, 9:06 AM   #2

I usually keep mine(Fz35) at the fullest setting 12mp. I usually keep my ratio set at 4:3 unless I want wider shots then I'll set it to 16:9.

I've had no problems sending a full 12mp pic via email.
beli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2011, 10:45 AM   #3

yes, the issue is not sending a 12 MP picture via email. What i meant is say i went to visit a place and i want to send 15-12 pictures to my parents. I need to spend the time to resize them in order to shrink the size of the pictures, so that i can send them..

I just wanted to know what is the best balance between picture quality and size.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 11:33 AM   #4

ZS 7 is a good camera.For video work use the 16:9 and for the stills use 4:3 you an later crop these to any size you want including the 3:2,1:1 etc.Get yourself the faststone photo resizer (free),with it you can batch resize your photos enmass.Shoot at full MP so you get the maximum details,and cropping will still give good enough images.

Hope that helps
wanaclick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2011, 3:08 PM   #5

I would agree with wanaclick, set the largest megapixel size you can, also make sure you are set to best quality image in the menu.

Fully agree with 16:9 for video, and 4:3 for stills and Faststone is a pretty good editing program
Old Sep 17, 2011, 3:08 AM   #6

Thanks for the advice guys. That little proggie is really nice. BTW, I was reading an article about megapixels

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/08/te...y/08pogue.html

Which basically concludes that 5-6 megaixels is enough for properly composed photo. More megapixels are necessary only when you want to crop a small object!
Old Sep 17, 2011, 10:30 AM   #7

I have my ZS7 (now a ZS6 since my ZS7 stopped working) set to 4:3 (I can always crop the image to my liking) and 8 MP. I find that 8 MP produces sharper images and since I don't need the extra resolution, I rather have sharper images.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote