Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 24, 2011, 12:23 PM   #1

Default DMC-ZS7 distortion problem??

I am getting really frustrated. Am I doing something wrong when taking pictures? All of my photos look crooked, buildings, frames, objects..

take a look at the picture
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17243958/Distortion.JPG

My roomate says it is because pictures are shot with low foca llength -- 10 or less. Is that so? Or maybe I need to tweak some settings? He says the way to compensate for the problem is to shoot with at least 18 mm focal length (i.e. always zoom on an object). So I took a few test shots and it turns out I can reach 18mm or high only if I zoom to at least 5x.

If this is the only thing I can do, then it really sucks! I need to go so far away in order to get whole buildings with at least 5x zoom. Also when you zoom, image stabilizer has to work higher, cannot shoot with F 3.3, etc.

Do you have any advice or can you confirm this is an issue with the camera?
KurtCocain is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 25, 2011, 9:52 AM   #2

crooked ? where ? sorry my eyes are not that sensitive for these type of errors .... but this image needs slight rotation though.

zs7 focal length ranges 25 - 300mm (35mm equiv.). so, 1x zoom, being wide angle, could be slight bendy, but there should not be such major issues for 1.5x and above.

however, if this is a lens specific issue with zs7, i don't know .....

Last edited by flyhigh; Sep 25, 2011 at 5:39 PM.
flyhigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2011, 10:42 AM   #3

Look at the left and right sides of the Duome building. Then compare it with the straight lines of the side of the picture. You see -- they are not parallel.
Old Sep 25, 2011, 11:31 AM   #4

ya that is common when used in the widest angle..if u need perfect pic then move back more and zoom a bit
Old Sep 25, 2011, 11:56 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtCocain View Post
Look at the left and right sides of the Duome building. Then compare it with the straight lines of the side of the picture. You see -- they are not parallel.
ah, it's not lens distortion, its because of the camera vertical tilt & it's position at the ground level, when you took the photograph. the lower part covered more of building and the upper part covered less.

it's a normal case, like when you stand in between a track of a rail line, they seem to merge in infinity. this type of optical case is called something in physics, i forgot whats its called.

anyways, its not a zs7 case, any other normal camera will behave the same from that position and tilt.

check this pic.
Old Sep 25, 2011, 4:13 PM   #6

Hi flyhigh

As you say the right and left hand walls of the building are converging in because the camera is not perfectly vertical to the building, it looks a little worse then it really is because the horizontal level is slightly out.

Camera lenses can also cause similar effects with barrel distortion. Door frames show this up well.
Old Sep 25, 2011, 4:13 PM   #7

You can fix the photograph using the "skew" tool, in photoshop. Easily.
a.
Attached Images

Last edited by kibaris; Sep 25, 2011 at 4:16 PM.
kibaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2011, 4:14 PM   #8

OK, photo I gave as an example probably has the shooting angle issues as well. But overall, all my photos from my recent trip, when you look at the buildings/lines, they are all crooked and tilted. As if I cannot shoot straight. Even today I enabled the grid on the LCD screen and I can see, even the ophoto I am trying to take that it does not line up with the grid (i was using a tripod!)..

I think it is due to the wide lens.... and it kind of sucks, because I need to touch almost every single picture i shoot. This takes a lot of time
Old Sep 25, 2011, 5:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Square one View Post
Hi flyhigh

As you say the right and left hand walls of the building are converging in because the camera is not perfectly vertical to the building, it looks a little worse then it really is because the horizontal level is slightly out.

Camera lenses can also cause similar effects with barrel distortion. Door frames show this up well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtCocain View Post
OK, photo I gave as an example probably has the shooting angle issues as well. But overall, all my photos from my recent trip, when you look at the buildings/lines, they are all crooked and tilted. As if I cannot shoot straight. Even today I enabled the grid on the LCD screen and I can see, even the ophoto I am trying to take that it does not line up with the grid (i was using a tripod!)..

I think it is due to the wide lens.... and it kind of sucks, because I need to touch almost every single picture i shoot. This takes a lot of time
thanks square one, for explaining up the barrel distortion. me being an amateur user don't have much experience with many lenses.

KurtCocain, zs7 should not show wide angle distortion above 1.5x zoom. u better try with a door frame as squareone suggested... place cam vertically, just at the center height to a door-frame ( should be a=b in the picture below).

if it still shows same effect, check other sample/user zs7 images from web..... then u may consider a replacement / servicing accordingly.

Last edited by flyhigh; Sep 25, 2011 at 5:40 PM.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 5:15 PM   #10

Well, it seems like it is the ZS7... see pictures from this post:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...0&changemode=1

That is, it should not be just my camera.. I think. I am going to do the door frame test. One thing I have notices, when I do not shoot in landscape (horizontally) the issue is not there. Which means the fish eye thing is horizontal.