Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 7, 2011, 10:21 PM   #1

Default Sulfur Shelf Fungi

Yes, you read it right! While not looking for anything in particular, I stumbled upon a downed tree of a few years, with many outgrowths of Sulfur Shelf Fungi. I have seen other shelf fungi, but none like this. The orange color was striking against the dark tree bark and the shade.

When I first saw it, sunlight was peeking through the trees, making the lighting more interesting. When I returned 15 minutes later with the FZ35, the unique lighting was gone (that sun moves, does it?).

I was unsure how to shoot this subject. The first shot in my series is a distant shot of the tree, and the fungi. I chose to work around it, looking for good angles. But, I feel that I failed to capture the uniqueness of this find. After I downloaded the images, and scanned through them, I was left with "What am I going to do with these?" I rarely have this response because picking winners and losers is not that difficult. Here are a few shots, but I'm unsure if these are the best ones. Any suggestions on how to present this kind of subject?

One other point to make. My camera had a very difficult time with focus. I used AF Macro for most, and tried both 1-Area and Spot. However, the outcome was spotty, not following any pattern that I could detect. With this kind of subject, does anybody have similar experiences, and if so, is there a way to be more fail-safe in getting well-focused shots? Thanks.
Attached Images

roger53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 7, 2011, 11:51 PM   #2
csa

WOW! You don't think these are good photos? I love them! #1 is my favorite, for all the foliage and the tree. These really made the fungus stand out.

~Pentax K10D~
~FZ40~
csa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2011, 11:52 PM   #3
csa

Also, the last one is beautiful!

~Pentax K10D~
~FZ40~
csa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2011, 12:57 AM   #4

Great series of fungi Roger and beautiful colors!
Old Oct 8, 2011, 3:25 AM   #5

Wow the color is truly striking. I like the angle of the last one and the first one has nice colors. I think you did a good job on capturing it, did you shoot in P mode?
Old Oct 8, 2011, 8:54 AM   #6

those are some nice shots, roger ! you should not feel disappointed.

like other compact cams, FZ35 also suffers in low lighting cases. i think, best would be to get a tripod and use a longer shutter speed values (in the range of 1-2 secs with 3 sec timer) for these stationary subjects.

when the exposure is good, you should not have trouble in auto focus. however, if there is still problem with it, do some experiment with manual focus.
Old Oct 9, 2011, 1:58 AM   #7

Great fungi series Roger53, No. 2 is the best taste for me. Well done.

Jeff

FZ40 & FinePix J27,28,29
UJEFROCNROL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2011, 6:46 PM   #8

Nice fungi - reminds me of a flamenco dancer's dress!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/banksyinoz/
banksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2011, 7:53 PM   #9

Those are awesome shrooms... Wonderful capture.

Panasonic FZ150, FZ35 and GF1; Nikonos V when underwater

~~Art is in the eye of the camera holder~~
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2011, 8:09 PM   #10

Wow! I wasn't sure if I even wanted to post the pics. I checked in earlier today, and found great encouragement. Thanks a bunch.

In fact, your words gave me enough encouragement to return to the site this afternoon to get more shots. The sun was out, filtering through the trees. And, more importantly, I had time to be more directed. The other day, I had about 10 minutes.

I have downloaded my new shots, but it will take a long time to sort through them. I will post another set when I find a few good ones. I did learn that the light was better today (positive and a negative - contrast very high), but I also learned that I should be shooting on AF. The other day, I shot many on AF Macro, a few on AF. Today, on AF, none out of focus!! Yea! So, watch for a few more.

Again, thanks for your interest, comments and encouragement.
roger53 is offline   Reply With Quote