Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 27, 2004, 8:20 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerito
Alexo, I couldn't find the testing on your site. Can you provide a direct link?
Go to the FAQ page (see sig).
Click on the "DmcFzOne" link.
Read the "Why does my camera pause after taking pictures at low shutter speeds?" topic and the next one as well.
alexo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2004, 10:06 PM   #22

One of the first things I did when I got the FZ10 was take an 8 second exposure with the lens cap on, to see what the noise level of the sensor was like and look for hot pixels. Imagine my surprise when there was practically zero.

I thought I had an exceptionally good sensor. LOL. I should have guessed that it did an auto noise reduction.

This now makes me wonder why the images are so noisy at > ISO 100. It must be a rather noisy sensor with such small diodes.

parallel
parallel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2004, 10:18 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by parallel
One of the first things I did when I got the FZ10 was take an 8 second exposure with the lens cap on, to see what the noise level of the sensor was like and look for hot pixels. Imagine my surprise when there was practically zero.

I thought I had an exceptionally good sensor. LOL. I should have guessed that it did an auto noise reduction.

This now makes me wonder why the images are so noisy at > ISO 100. It must be a rather noisy sensor with such small diodes.

parallel

Don't feel bad, I did the same thing :lol:
Guerito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2004, 9:12 PM   #24

I find that my FZ! and FZ!0 both do a dark correction for a shutter speed of 1/2 sec or slower.
Karl Norris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2004, 7:48 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Norris
I find that my FZ! and FZ!0 both do a dark correction for a shutter speed of 1/2 sec or slower.
Hi Karl, do you know if this is the fastest shutter speed that the NR kicks in at? Have you done any testing at faster speeds?
Old Jan 31, 2004, 9:52 PM   #26

My FZ1-2 and FZ10 do not do dark correction at speeds faster than 1/2 sec.
Karl Norris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2004, 11:19 PM   #27

Default Re: black-frame noise reduction begins at 1/2 second

The "Please wait" screen does not appear at shutter speeds faster than 1/2 second. You can try it yourself (if you have an FZ).
Charlie Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2004, 11:52 PM   #28

By golly Charlie, you're right. I was playing with the shutter speeds after reading Karl's post but didn't notice that. I did notice however that there is a second "click" when using shutter speeds of 1/2 sec or slower, which makes sense. What doesn't make sense is that I am unable to see any difference in noise when going from 1/3 sec to 1/2. Oh well, I guess we can call Panasonic tech support and let them know so they can pass it on to Bob
Old Feb 1, 2004, 2:57 AM   #29

Default Re: dark-frame noise reduction begins at 1/2 second

Try setting ISO to 400 and taking a picture at 1/2 sec, then at 1/2.5 sec. There may be less noise in the 1/2 sec frame.

I did this with the lens cap in place and a towel over the cap for added darkness, then brought both into PhotoShop and looked at their Luminosity Histograms. The 1/2.5 sec frame had a longer "tail", indicating more lit pixels, hence, more noise.

If you REALLY want to see the effect of dark-frame reduction, keep the lens completely covered, set the shutter speed to 8 seconds, and take a picture (it'll take 16 seconds). Then, turn burst mode on, press the shutter button briefly so you only get one frame, and turn burst back off after the camera finishes with the 8 second capture. The camera does not use dark-frame in burst mode, so the first picture should have less noise than the second one. (Both will have a lot of noise.)

Also remember to put ISO back to 100 or less, afterwards.
Charlie Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2004, 1:54 PM   #30

Default Re: dark-frame noise reduction begins at 1/2 second

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Howard
Try setting ISO to 400 and taking a picture at 1/2 sec, then at 1/2.5 sec. There may be less noise in the 1/2 sec frame.

I did this with the lens cap in place and a towel over the cap for added darkness, then brought both into PhotoShop and looked at their Luminosity Histograms. The 1/2.5 sec frame had a longer "tail", indicating more lit pixels, hence, more noise.

If you REALLY want to see the effect of dark-frame reduction, keep the lens completely covered, set the shutter speed to 8 seconds, and take a picture (it'll take 16 seconds). Then, turn burst mode on, press the shutter button briefly so you only get one frame, and turn burst back off after the camera finishes with the 8 second capture. The camera does not use dark-frame in burst mode, so the first picture should have less noise than the second one. (Both will have a lot of noise.)

Also remember to put ISO back to 100 or less, afterwards.
The very first shot I took with the camera was an 8 second exposure with the lens cap on and under a pillow. Thanks to Panasonic not making mention of the NR, I thought I really had a dilly of a CCD :P .