Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 13, 2011, 2:05 PM   #1

Default Swapping memory cards between Panasonic products

I have a Panasonic DMC-TZ6 digital camera and a Panasonic SDR-S7 camcorder. Both use Sandisk SDHC memory cards. If I deleted all the pictures and videos on each card and swapped them over between the 2 Panasonic devices would they work without any problems or would I need to reformat them?
Plotinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 13, 2011, 2:29 PM   #2
Administrator

Personally, I *always* reformat a memory card using a camera's menu choice for format (not a PC), prior to *every* reuse.

That insures that I always start out with a fresh FAT (File Allocation Table) to reduce any chance of unnoticed corruption, just the way the camera expects it, since the camera is performing the format.

I do that even if I'm using the same camera (much less different cameras). Formatting a card using a camera's menu choice for format is just as fast (if not faster) than deleting images anyway (since that's only recreating the FAT in most cases, not overwriting the entire card).

Personally, I don't delete images or video from a card using a PC very often either (as that's writing to the card, increasing the risk of corrupting it). If I do write to a card using a PC (and moving or deleting images writes to one), I make sure to use the operating system's "Safely Remove" features (and "right clicking" on the card under "Computer" and selecting "Eject" does the same thing, so that all pending writes in disk cache are flushed to it so that 's it's safer to remove). But, even then, I still reformat it using the camera's menu choice for format before using it again to reduce the risk of having a corrupted File System and not realizing it until later.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2011, 11:54 AM   #3
csa

I guess I've been lucky; as I always delete the images on my card with the computer. I use a card reader w/the computer. I just pull the card out when finished. I've also only formatted a new card once, prior to use.

~Pentax K10D~
~FZ40~
csa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2011, 3:33 PM   #4

You should always reformat a card in the camera it's going to be used in.

Panasonic FZ150, FZ35 and GF1; Nikonos V when underwater

~~Art is in the eye of the camera holder~~
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2011, 3:46 PM   #5
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by csa View Post
I guess I've been lucky; as I always delete the images on my card with the computer. I use a card reader w/the computer. I just pull the card out when finished. I've also only formatted a new card once, prior to use.
It depends on the card reader how Windows will handle it. Some will automatically set up for "fast removal", so that writes to it are not cached in the operating system's memory (and if they are cached, you're risking a corrupted file system by removing a card without using the operating system's "safely remove" features or "eject" choice to flush any pending writes in disk cache to the card). Setting up removable media for "fast removal" causes slower performance (since you're not making use of the operating system's memory to cache those writes more efficiently). The benefit of setting up the device drivers for Fast Removal is more reliability (at the expense of slower performance).

But, some devices may still be setup to cache writes in the Operating System's memory, especially if something is plugged in at the time the operating system is started (where Windows may treat it as a permanently attached versus removable media and assume it's OK to leave some write activity in memory until you shut down your session to improve write performance, just like it does for permanently attached internal drives).

So, it's a very good idea to use the Safely Remove or Eject features of your Operating System (Linux, Windows, OS X) before removing a card or other device, just to make sure no writes to it are still in memory (which can lead to file system corruption that may not be obvious until you try to retrieve images you took later, if those locations were not written back to the FAT area of the card at the time you removed it).

Personally, I always reformat a card using the camera's menu choice for format prior to every reuse, and I've done that for a number of years with all of my memory cards.

There are just too many things that can interfere with USB communications to a reader or USB attached camera anymore, including virus protection and firewall products, bad cables, other USB devices interfering, etc. That way (reformatting a card using the camera's menu choice for format), I always get a brand new FAT (File Allocation Table), which is the index used to keep track of the sectors used by files you store on it, reducing the chance I'll have file system issues resulting in lost or damaged images. Since the camera is performing the format, the FAT and folder structure is also setup just the way it wants it.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 5:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Personally, I *always* reformat a memory card using a camera's menu choice for format (not a PC), prior to *every* reuse.

That insures that I always start out with a fresh FAT (File Allocation Table) to reduce any chance of unnoticed corruption, just the way the camera expects it, since the camera is performing the format.

I do that even if I'm using the same camera (much less different cameras). Formatting a card using a camera's menu choice for format is just as fast (if not faster) than deleting images anyway (since that's only recreating the FAT in most cases, not overwriting the entire card).

Personally, I don't delete images or video from a card using a PC very often either (as that's writing to the card, increasing the risk of corrupting it). If I do write to a card using a PC (and moving or deleting images writes to one), I make sure to use the operating system's "Safely Remove" features (and "right clicking" on the card under "Computer" and selecting "Eject" does the same thing, so that all pending writes in disk cache are flushed to it so that 's it's safer to remove). But, even then, I still reformat it using the camera's menu choice for format before using it again to reduce the risk of having a corrupted File System and not realizing it until later.
Thanks for the information. Interesting point about reformatting the card rather than deleting the files - I've noticed that if you have a lot of files on the card that it does take a while to delete them all. I'll have to get the manuals out and find the obscure sections that tell you how to format the card.
Plotinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2011, 5:36 PM   #7
Administrator

You should find a Format menu option under your Setup menu if you scroll down to it's last page. Here's a page showing menu choices for the TZ4 that we reviewed. You'll see it's setup options near the bottom of this review page (and your TZ6 should be very similar to it, with a Format choice under your Setup menu):

http://www.steves-digicams.com/camer...-review-4.html

Virtually any digital camera from a major brand is going to have a Format choice you can use to reformat a memory card.