Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 22, 2004, 6:40 PM   #11

Default Re: infinity focusing

Quote:
" ....If you turn it too far counter-clockwise, it actually goes past infinity (but will not show you what lies beyond the universe)....."

Perhaps a future firmware upgrade will fix this obvious flaw in an otherwise fine digital camera.
Apparently, many manual-focus lenses do the same thing. Maybe there's a good reason for it?

Quote:
Another question: I know that the digital zoom degrades the photo because of how it just enlargens pixels. But will this degradation of quality (sharpness and focus of the picture) be readily apparent with 4"x6" prints, or even 5"x7"?
My understanding of the FZ10's digital zoom is that it uses the more central pixels from the CCD, and intelligently resizes that small image to the requested resolution. So, if you select a 36x zoom, it takes the middle 768x576 pixels and interpolates them to a 2304x1728 image. That isn't the same as simply making nine pixels out of one pixel. The question is how that interpolation compares with what a computer-based program like PhotoShop (or PhotoShop Elements, or Paint Shop Pro, or several others) can do. The camera's advantage is that it's working with original information, while the computer programs are working with jpeg files that contain substantially less information.

This is the sort of thing you can decide for yourself. Put the camera on a tripod, aim it at an inanimate object, and take two pictures: one at 12x and the other at 36x. Transfer both to your computer, read them into an image editor, crop the central 768x 576 pixels of the 12x image, then resize it to 2304x1728. Then, compare your result with the camera's 36x image, including making prints of both.

That's also a good way to decide whether to use Fine or Standard compression, and 2304x1768 or 1600x1200 image size. Your choices will be the ones that are the most satisfactory to you, and that's all that matters.
Charlie Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2004, 8:39 PM   #12

Wow. Setting the white balance yourself makes a huge difference.

Indoor shots now have the right colours!

Auto seems to be shot.
Toekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2004, 10:41 PM   #13

When cropping and enlarging in an image editing program, you are also enlarging the JPEG artifacts. Considering the aggressive compression that the FZ10 employs, there is a possibility that the camera might do a better job since it is presumably working with raw data. It also depends on just how sophisticated the algorithms are in each situation. Like Charlie said, run a test at 12x and 36x and compare them to a crop that was done in the computer. Just make sure that you pick a subject with a lot of detail, this will give the in-camera JPEG compression scheme a real workout. Don't shoot a white wall and expect to see a difference.
Guerito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2004, 12:22 AM   #14

Most good lenses will go past infinity. There has to be some degree of latitude for temperture change ect that can affect focus.
Rod
hotrodr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2004, 10:57 AM   #15

Thanks all for the clarification and education about the digital zoom. As I do not as yet have a computer with USB port, it will be a short while before I can perform some of your suggestions.

If the 2x zoom is equivilent to 1mp, would I assume that the 1.5 digital zoom to be about 2mp, and the 3x at about 1/2mp? Not that it matters. The 3x digital zoom still looks very good on the lcd of the camera--good thing I'm not a peeping tom as I can see details very, very far away with it.

I'm still not printing anything yet but soon, soon......

Shelly
shelly schachter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2004, 2:15 PM   #16

1.5X digital zoom should be about 2Mp. I think 3X is about 1/4 Mp. 3X would give poor 4 X 6 prints even though it looks OK on your LCD.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2004, 8:53 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerito
When cropping and enlarging in an image editing program, you are also enlarging the JPEG artifacts.
Hi,

There are some image editors (like PS) that you could set option to no compression when resaving to doing JPG. You could also save first to lossless format (like TIFF or BMP, but will create big file size). Perform the manipulation and resave as JPG as final. Set compression percentage as little as possible. Delete created TIFF or BMP.

regards,
gil
Gil123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2004, 12:55 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil123
Quote:
When cropping and enlarging in an image editing program, you are also enlarging the JPEG artifacts.
Hi,

There are some image editors (like PS) that you could set option to no compression when resaving to doing JPG. You could also save first to lossless format (like TIFF or BMP, but will create big file size). Perform the manipulation and resave as JPG as final. Set compression percentage as little as possible. Delete created TIFF or BMP.

regards,
gil
You're misreading, or misunderstanding my post Gil. When you enlarge an image, in Photoshop or any other program, the software interpolates the image to make it larger. If there are JPEG artifacts in the original, they will be multiplied in the enlargement. That is the reason digital zoom does not work as well as optical zoom, because the camera interpolates the data creating artifacts.
Old Jan 28, 2004, 3:10 PM   #19

Hi Guerito,
Yes, I understand the enlarging effect but you have also qualified cropping. I should have been more direct to the cropping item. Anyway this is clear now. As for enlarging, though you can't really avoid additional artifacts introduction, there are some software that could minimize (I used long time ago a fractal something, now I think it is by LizardTech).
regards,
gil

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil123
Quote:
Hi,

regards,
gil
You're misreading, or misunderstanding my post Gil. When you enlarge an image, in Photoshop or any other program, the software interpolates the image to make it larger. If there are JPEG artifacts in the original, they will be multiplied in the enlargement. That is the reason digital zoom does not work as well as optical zoom, because the camera interpolates the data creating artifacts.
Gil123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2004, 9:43 PM   #20

Perhaps you are thinking of LizardTech's Genuine Fractals which I've used. There are several other similar programs.