Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 10, 2011, 6:53 AM   #1

Default TZ10 picture error - lines

Hi,
A problem has just developed when taking picture on my TZ10. If you take a look at the 2 images you'll see that there are lines throughout the picture. They are also very over exposed. Image01 was taken in a darken room and image 02 next to a window (was an over cast day)

I've updated it to the latest firmware and I've taken out the SD card, so it saves onto internal memory but the problem still persists. Also, if I take a video the image quality is perfect and there is no issues with the video.

Any ideas?

Image01

Image02

Icaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 10, 2011, 7:12 AM   #2
Administrator

I'd reset it back to factory defaults and see what you can. You should find a reset choice in your setup menus.

But, chances are, you've got a failing sensor. They'll do that sometimes (overexposed with lines through them) when they start to fail.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2011, 7:17 AM   #3

Thanks for the quick response. Reset the camrea but no luck.

What about the fact that videos are totally fine. Doesn't the same sensor record the image for video?
Old Nov 10, 2011, 7:30 AM   #4
Administrator

Yes. But, that's common with a failing sensor (videos still look fine).
Old Nov 10, 2011, 7:41 AM   #5

Ah, thanks for the information. It's out of warranty as well.

Shot in the dark but do you know if its an expensive item to get fixed or is it heading to "spares or repair" on eBay.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 7:48 AM   #6
Administrator

It would probably cost more to fix it than you could buy another one for. It wouldn't hurt to ask them, though. Also, you may want to check to see if there is any kind of recall on it.

I don't remember one being issued for that model. But, I may have overlooked it and there have been models recalled in the past due to a batch of defective sensors (Sony had a problem with some of their sensors a while back that impacted a number of cameras from most major brands). Here's one article about a problem (but, your model is using a newer Panasonic sensor):

http://www.imaging-resource.com/badccds.html
Old Nov 10, 2011, 7:57 AM   #7

Cheers for the help JimC. I'll get in touch with returns and hopefully it can get fixed.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 8:20 AM   #8
Administrator

If you've got a different battery for it, you may want to try it, just to make sure it's not the culprit (as voltage problems from a bad battery can sometimes mimic symptoms usually caused by camera components).