Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 14, 2011, 12:06 PM   #1

Default Panasonic FZ 150 - Questions for owners (I own one too)

Hello fellow photogs

Recently, I picked up an FZ 150 extended zoom camera.

Two things I have noticed that concern me...

Sharpness (even with 1+ sharpness in camera chosen) is not as good as FZ50 that I have.

Also, even though I set selector to A (aperture control), it often will not go past F8 so entire photo could be in focus.

I am definitely thinking of sending it back..even though its overall feature set is much improved over the FZ50.

Image quality is number one criteria for me.

Anybody have one? Similar issues? Workarounds?

As Dumbo the elephant likes to say...I am all ears!

Digcamfan
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 14, 2011, 1:44 PM   #2

Hi Digcamfan,

Don't own a FZ150 so can't give you much input. What I can say is I have a FZ15 (same camera as FZ20 just 1 MP less) and the FZ35 that I have had for about a year. My opinions is that SOOC shots are sharper from the FZ15 than the FZ35, but the FZ35 shots sharpen up nicely with a little PP.

jj
Old Nov 14, 2011, 5:38 PM   #3

Hi Digcamfan,

The apature value of the FZ-150 goes from F2.8 to F 8. Here are the specs for this camera. http://panasonic.net/avc/lumix/compa...fications.html
I cannot comment on sharpness as I have not looked into that as a problem. Not to sound like a know it all. But have you checked your auto focus setting you can set it for 23 point or single point. On single point you can adjust the size of the auto focus area. As far as the FZ-50 I never had one so I cannot comment on the differences.
All I can say is that the FZ-150 isn't for everybody. But I have seen some very nice photos from this Camera. I am having an easier time with this over the FZ-100 I have.

I hope this helps you
Panasonic FZ-100, FZ-150, LX5, LX7, Pentax K-x & K-5, Bower Flash, FA-50 1.7,FA-100 2.8, FA-135 2.8, DA-35 2.4,DA-18-135 3.5,DA Limited 15 4, DA Limited 70 2.4, DAL 18-55, DAL 55-300, Pentax 1.7 Teleconverter, Sigma 70-200 2.8
popellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2011, 9:23 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by popellis View Post
Hi Digcamfan,

All I can say is that the FZ-150 isn't for everybody. But I have seen some very nice photos from this Camera. I am having an easier time with this over the FZ-100 I have.

I hope this helps you
Since you have had the FZ100, maybe you could let us know some of the differences you've found. I sold my FZ100 and have the FZ150 coming Friday. I had no complaints with the FZ100 except for erratic results with the onboard flash. Sometimes they were good, other times really blown out. Over on DP Review, there is nearly unanimous opinion that the FZ150 is clearly a better camera. Most of the professional reviews like it better than the Canon SX40 and the Sony SX100.

Anything you've found that might be helpful to us new owners would be appreciated. Thanks.
Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2011, 2:41 PM   #5

G'day dcf

Quote:
Originally Posted by digcamfan View Post
Recently, I picked up an FZ 150 extended zoom camera ... Sharpness (even with 1+ sharpness in camera chosen) is not as good as FZ50 that I have ... Also, even though I set selector to A (aperture control), it often will not go past F8 so entire photo could be in focus. Digcamfan
Ahhh mate - several things come to mind

We have the FZ30 & FZ100 to make comparisons with
The FZ30 lens [info for others... 12x zoom, 35 to 420mm eq] is the same design used in the FZ50 and produces sharper results than any sigma lens I have for my Pentax. Thus it is a hard act to follow for any lens, any camera

Also the FZ30/50 went to f11, whereas the later cams only went to f8 > one of those things we can't do much about. Other cam makers are 'creating' f16 in digicams via a movable grad ND that slides over the aperture controls inside the lens to alter its native f8 settings

Even tho these differences exist, I enjoy the FZ100 for its much improved noise controls and a few other items. I am not interested in movies in any way whatsoever, so can't comment upon those things

Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2011, 10:42 AM   #6

Hi all.

I ended up sending it back.

I will wait for the "FZ 250"

Digcamfan
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2011, 3:49 PM   #7
csa

Sorry to hear that; I'm going to get one soon!

~Pentax K10D~
~FZ40~
csa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2011, 4:07 PM   #8

I've had the FZ28, 35, and 100. I liked them all. The user interface was so much better on the FZ100 than any of the others that I didn't hesitate to order the very similar FZ150 after I sold all the others,......and got a little weary of lugging my DSLR kit around.

The FZ150 is far and away the best of the bunch in my opinion. I can't believe the speed. The IS is simply amazing!
Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2011, 6:47 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setter Dog View Post
I've had the FZ28, 35, and 100. I liked them all.

The FZ150 is far and away the best of the bunch in my opinion. I can't believe the speed. The IS is simply amazing!
Total agreement on the speed. This is my fourth FZ camera, and the first one that could track and take multiple shots of a moving bird.