Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 20, 2011, 7:35 PM   #1
csa

Default Quick-release system

Does anyone use a Quick Release system to add/remove your FZ on a tripod with one of these brackets?

I'm looking for one, that will hopefully clear the battery/SD card compartment. Otherwise, it kind of defeats the purpose, if I have to remove it whenever I remove the card to download to my computer.

~Pentax K10D~
~FZ40~
csa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 20, 2011, 7:40 PM   #2

They are meant as a quick-release from the tripod, not the battery chamber. How does that defeat the purpose?
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2011, 7:55 PM   #3
csa

I know how they work; however, if the plate covers the battery compartment, then I'll have to remove the QuickRelease plate from the camera whenever I load my images to my computer via the card. If I have to do this, I'm not gaining much in the way of convenience.

~Pentax K10D~
~FZ40~
Old Nov 20, 2011, 10:04 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by csa View Post
I know how they work; however, if the plate covers the battery compartment, then I'll have to remove the QuickRelease plate from the camera whenever I load my images to my computer via the card. If I have to do this, I'm not gaining much in the way of convenience.
I don't have that problem with my E-620 and the Manfrotto RC2 plate. However, it does cover the battery compartment on my HS-20. I can, however, access the SD card as it's slot is on the side of the camera. And, yes, while it is an inconvenience to remove it to change the batteries, I find the advantage of having it on far outweigh that inconvenience. Were I you, I would use the USB cable - unless, it's in the same area as the batteries and SD card on your camera.
My Gallery

--
Old Nov 20, 2011, 11:04 PM   #5

Carol, if such a system exists, I have not seen it. I think that when they decided to put the battery and card door on the bottom, they pretty much took the option away from us.

Panasonic FZ150, FZ35 and GF1; Nikonos V when underwater

~~Art is in the eye of the camera holder~~
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2011, 11:23 PM   #6
csa

Saly, I definitely agree with you; and that's a shame. But that's a small price to pay for having such a great camera!

I may try transferring my images via the USB cable; I've never done it; as it's so easy to use the card.

~Pentax K10D~
~FZ40~
Old Nov 20, 2011, 11:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericcantonaxp View Post
I'm not gaining much in the way of convenience.
Adios
My Gallery

--
Old Nov 21, 2011, 10:41 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by csa View Post
Saly, I definitely agree with you; and that's a shame. But that's a small price to pay for having such a great camera!

I may try transferring my images via the USB cable; I've never done it; as it's so easy to use the card.
I use the usb cable exclusively to transfer my photos.. easy really. (at least on my computer which runs vista) just hook it up to the usb port on your computer wait for your computer to reconize the camera either it will ask you if you want to transfer it via a little pop up window that gives you several options (forgot which ones) or your photo software that came with the camera. At least that's how my Fz35 works. I always wait for the photo software to come up rather than transfer it through the 1st option. It's just easier for me that way.
beli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2011, 10:53 AM   #9
csa

Thanks for that information beli! I'll give it a try. It's probably better to use the USB cable, as constantly removing the card, might, in time, damage the connection points in the camera.

I'll take a couple of photos today, & give the USB cable a try! Then I would only have to remove the QuickRelease plate when I need access to the battery; which isn't that often.

~Pentax K10D~
~FZ40~
Old Nov 21, 2011, 11:04 AM   #10

I never loaded the software that came with the camera because it has features I don't like or need. So when I connect the camera to my computer using the USB cable, it just sees the camera as another external drive (storage device), and I just drag and copy images to my computer. Works fine.

Either method (USB or SD card) you use, I think that the same philosophy applies, of wearing down the component from constantly plugging in and out. You can wear out the USB port as well.....

Panasonic FZ150, FZ35 and GF1; Nikonos V when underwater

~~Art is in the eye of the camera holder~~
saly is offline   Reply With Quote