Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 29, 2011, 5:50 AM   #1

Default which video converter for panasonic fz35

guys am using a panasoinic fz35 and need to know which video converter is available on the net to convert the .mts files into avi for viewing.

tried allok and total but none give good quality

looking forward for help
thanks
martin_paes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 30, 2011, 1:51 AM   #2

some 1??
Old Nov 30, 2011, 2:03 PM   #3

I think most of us shoot primarily stills so that's why you haven't gotten any response....

My hubby is into video and he recommended this. I think there's a free trial version.

http://tmpgenc.pegasys-inc.com/en/product/taw4.html

Panasonic FZ150, FZ35 and GF1; Nikonos V when underwater

~~Art is in the eye of the camera holder~~
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2011, 2:22 PM   #4
Administrator

Does it need to be .avi? If not and you can use .mp4 instead, I'd just use handbrake. It's free.

http://handbrake.fr/

If you do need .avi, I'd probably look at WinFF (also free). It's a GUI front end for FFmpeg (which is an open source command line program for converting a lot of different video formats) and it looks like they have a Windows port of it available.

I don't use Windows any more than I have to. But, FFmpeg is fairly popular for video conversion under Linux. So, perhaps the Windows port of it works well, too (you'd have to try it to find out).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2011, 6:33 PM   #5

I've got a bunch of video converters I've collected for various reasons or another.

One program I use is Any Video Converter. It's free and has worked well for me.

I haven't used it to convert AVCHD Lite files, but I have used it a lot for other purposes. It works good. It is called SUPER. It, too, is free and probably has the most features out of all of them.

I have actually used Free Video Converter to convert the AVCHD Lite files from my FZ35. It did a good job and is quite easy to use.

One of the main reasons I got the FZ35 was the video format. It seemed like a good one and the file sizes were smaller than other formats. I was bummed when I got the camera, and my computer could not run the files. I used the MJPEG format instead. I was not happy with the size/quality of MJPEG. I saw a link for the K-Lite Codec Pack in the AVCHD thread that's stickied at the top of the forum here. I downloaded and installed the codec pack. I couldn't be happier. I can run the AVCHD Lite files now using Windows Media Player. Now that I have started using the AVCHD format, I don't think I could go back to anything else. The quality is pretty good and the file sizes are small for how big the video dimensions are. I have Windows XP with SP3. I don't know if Vista can run AVCHD files straight up, but I know Windows 7 can. I would recommend downloading the codec pack, and not deal with the hassle of converting unless you are putting the videos on DVD or something.
JayC_783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2011, 7:05 AM   #6

thank u all for the response . i will try each one u recommended .
Old Dec 1, 2011, 7:20 AM   #7
Administrator

What are you trying to view them with? This post may help, as I mentioned some things you could try with Handbrake if you want to output lower quality mp4 files (for example, it's got some presets in it for Apple devices that automatically lower the resolution).

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ne...ml#post1268680

But, VLC should play them OK on a PC if it's fast enough. See the link to it in that post.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 11:27 AM   #8

vlc seems to drag the .mts files
Old Dec 1, 2011, 11:37 AM   #9
Administrator

AVCHD video is very demanding on computer resources, and a slower computer is going to have issues with playing them.

You may want to try the K-Lite Codec pack mentioned in this post and see how Windows Media Player works with the videos.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pa...ml#post1063819

But, if you're still having problems with playback (stuttering and freezes, out of sync audio, etc.), you'll probably need to convert them to a lower quality format for playback on your PC.