Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 29, 2011, 8:55 AM   #1

Default FZ40 vs FZ47

I found the FZ47 online for almost $80 cheaper than I just bought my FZ40. I'm considering returning the 40 and getting the 47. Are there any personal opinions on this decision. I know RAW support is gone but I haven't used RAW on my camera yet so I'm not sure if that's a deal breaker for me or now. And I know the pixel count is down but I also know that's not necessarily a bad thing. The better display, faster shooting, possibly lower noise and the lower price all seem like good things. What do you guys think?
sumx4182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 29, 2011, 11:09 AM   #2

I don't mean to be pushy at all, but does anyone have an opinion? If I'm gonna make the switch, I need to act fast as I don't know how long the sale price will last. It could be today only. Thanks!
Old Nov 29, 2011, 11:22 AM   #3

I don't really know, but I guess that the FZ47 is a better camera. It's a bit faster and probably little better in low light thanks to fewer mp's. But I've read that the differences aren't that great but considering that you also save $80, I think it's a good deal if you don't mind the hazzle returning tha FZ40 and so on.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 11:27 AM   #4

Well, luckily I ordered from Walmart.com originally so I can return to any local walmart store. I have all the original packaging. The new order would be an online store only so this needs to be a more concrete decision. I would guess it's better as well, but I've seen people argue against this in the past, saying their FZ35 is better than the FZ40, or whatever. So I was hoping some one would have some solid evidence or ideas.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 2:52 PM   #5

Well I went ahead and ordered the FZ47 and plan on returning the FZ40 tonight. Couldn't pass up saving $75 for a newer model that sounds as good if not better than the other and has the ability to have a less noisy sensor. Even if it's minimal, the jump from 12MP to 14MP isn't that great and I can't help but feel there's a reason that they went down in MP when everything is trending up. They had to have felt it was a better sensor. $229 was a great price for this camera!
Old Nov 29, 2011, 6:00 PM   #6

If it's not too late, and you can afford to not recover the $70 / $80, why not see how much the FZ150 is selling for? Biggest plus is the movable LCD for those awkward shots
Old Nov 29, 2011, 9:07 PM   #7

I checked. The FZ150 is going for $389 the cheapest I can find it. I couldn't justify the $150 jump. I bought the FZ40 for $290+ so it was even a $100 more than I originally paid for the 40. This is my first nice camera, which is why I went with the bridge. If I was looking to spend ~400 ish, I'd next look at an entry level DSLR kit like the Canon Rebel T3. I wanted to keep my first purchase pretty reasonable till I decide if I'm into it enough to dive in with a steeper purchase. I cannot argue with this camera at $229.

On the plus side, I printed some of the photos I took with the FZ40 (4x6, 5x7 and 8x10) and they look pretty amazing to me. I can't believe that I actually took them. If the FZ47 looks as good or better than the FZ40, I'll be super happy that I got it less than 230 bucks.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 4:36 PM   #8

I have to agree with what you said, yes it's a big jump to the fz150.

The only problem with DSLR's is you need to spend big money on a range of lenses, (at least a wide, and a reasonable length zoom)

One camera to keep an eye on is the newly announced Fuji x-s1. It has a much larger sensor (same that is used in the four micro thirds cameras) but has managed to keep a x26 zoom lens..... downside is the planned selling price.