Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 4, 2011, 10:05 PM   #1

Default Cold weather photography

My FZ47 should be here in a few days and it's starting to get cold here in Ohio. I see people with snow photographs all the time but I saw somewhere that the "Minimum operating temperature" is 32 degrees F. Is this really a large concern? I know I wouldn't want to leave it in the cold car for hours or something, but is there a harm in taking the camera out in the cold? And if so, how do people manage all the nice snowy photographs?
sumx4182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 5, 2011, 7:38 PM   #2

It's always tough to get the first reply around here. After the first reply, more people tend to come out of the woodwork...but damn, 77 views and nothing. Haha
Old Dec 5, 2011, 7:57 PM   #3
csa

Well, I was out this morning when it was 5 degrees below zero. I took several photos in this temp, with no ill affects.

~Pentax K10D~
~FZ40~
csa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2011, 8:05 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumx4182 View Post
It's always tough to get the first reply around here. After the first reply, more people tend to come out of the woodwork...but damn, 77 views and nothing. Haha

Many of us live in warm weather climates and have no idea how to answer your question.

Panasonic FZ150, FZ35 and GF1; Nikonos V when underwater

~~Art is in the eye of the camera holder~~
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2011, 8:07 PM   #5

Damn you warm weather people! Haha, don't you just wish you could be in 10 degree weather with a foot of snow!?

csa, any precautions? Do you do anything before taking it back or take any steps to warm it up slowly? Anything to prevent fogging or condensation?
Old Dec 5, 2011, 8:40 PM   #6

Hi Sumx, another Ohio boy here. Never had a problem taking my FZ15/FZ35 out in cold weather. Don't think I would go out in sub-zero weather with it but who would want to. Spend a lot of time in the Hocking Hills in the winter and never have had any problems. Only problem I have is when I take the camera out from the warm house into cold weather to take a quick shot the lens will fog.

Hope this helps,

jj
Old Dec 5, 2011, 11:52 PM   #7
csa

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumx4182 View Post
Damn you warm weather people! Haha, don't you just wish you could be in 10 degree weather with a foot of snow!?

csa, any precautions? Do you do anything before taking it back or take any steps to warm it up slowly? Anything to prevent fogging or condensation?
I treat my camera same as my telescopes when bringing it in from the cold. I shut it off & cap it outside, before coming in the house. I let the camera sit for a while before I do anything with it, such as removing the SD card.

If you cap it outside, & leave the cap on until the camera warms up, the lens won't dew up.

~Pentax K10D~
~FZ40~
Old Dec 6, 2011, 5:15 AM   #8

That was pretty informative CSA.... I didn't see that one coming... As in the fogging up part.. I was planning to take mine to the snowfall areas this winters

In a relationship with a Panasonic Fz40
Hama Macro Filters (+1, +2, +4)

flickr
facebook
xHassan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2011, 9:21 AM   #9

I have also read that batteries become less powerful and drain quicker below freezing temperature.

Carol - 5 below???? Can't eve imagine that. We complained because it dipped to 45 last night.... We absolutely panic when there is frost on the ground in the morning.

Panasonic FZ150, FZ35 and GF1; Nikonos V when underwater

~~Art is in the eye of the camera holder~~
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2011, 1:53 PM   #10
csa

Quote:
Originally Posted by saly View Post
I have also read that batteries become less powerful and drain quicker below freezing temperature.

Carol - 5 below???? Can't eve imagine that. We complained because it dipped to 45 last night.... We absolutely panic when there is frost on the ground in the morning.

Saly, with no wind, it really isn't bad.

~Pentax K10D~
~FZ40~