Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 10, 2011, 6:17 PM   #11

Speaking of settings, this gull and one underneath it you can see on Flickr were shot at Sharpness 0 and Noise Reduction -2. Still testing this camera; with the FZ35 Sharpness of 0 or -1 was best because if too sharp the sky or water tended to get a bit blotchy instead of smooth. This camera does not seem to have that problem, or at least not enough to annoy me yet, but time will tell.

Young Ring-billed Gull. There are thousands of these around here.

Softer Gull by Happy_Peasant, on Flickr
Old Dec 10, 2011, 8:41 PM   #12

Great images, Steve- I really like them. Tough shots, especially the ones in flight- like above!
What is the "Neat Image" plugin you use? I'm just now digging in to learn Elements 7... after years of using Dell's Image Expert. Found a good video tutorial for PSE- I'm very much a visual learner!
Wes
Wes James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2011, 8:50 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes James View Post
Great images, Steve- I really like them. Tough shots, especially the ones in flight- like above!
What is the "Neat Image" plugin you use? I'm just now digging in to learn Elements 7... after years of using Dell's Image Expert. Found a good video tutorial for PSE- I'm very much a visual learner!
Wes
First off, I have Elements 4 with some plug ins, and have used that for years. Only upgraded as we needed a Mac for a project and I wanted to put it on there also. Elements is good stuff.

As to what Neat Image is, it is noise reduction software. It also sharpens a wee bit, which is useful, and has settings for slightly out of focus or strongly out of focus images. I throw those away, but use those settings anyway as good sharpening tools. The gull I just posted I used the strongly one to make the bird pop.

http://www.neatimage.com/

They have a free version you can try out, or use forever if you want, but I buy the one that can be used as a plug-in so I can do all my editing in one swoop. I also have a stand-alone version from years back, but hardly ever use it.

Last edited by happy_peasant; Dec 10, 2011 at 8:55 PM.
happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2011, 10:49 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy_peasant View Post
Well, keeping in mind I am new to this camera so things may change - I try and keep shutter speed at 1/800, but that is not always possible so if I need tro shoot lower I will, and just hope for the best.

Regarding focus method, a few of these were shot with what the FZ150 calls Spot Focus, which is a lot larger than the dot sized Spot Focus on the FZ35. That one was harder to use on a moving target. With the FZ150 I am inclined to try nothing but Spot Focus for awhile and see what happens. I have also used Auto Focus Tracking. That has a nice sound to it and should be the best one would think, but on both cameras it has a bit of hesitation before grabbing the subject, and that is not at all a good thing to have when trying to obtain a good crisp shot of a rapidly moving bird.

One nice thing about where I live is; on almost any day I can walk by the lake and see hundreds or thousands of gulls, and have many moving targets to play with.
Thanks for the response. With the FZ35 I have been taking the shutter as high as the light will allow and using spot focus.

jj
Old Dec 11, 2011, 10:54 AM   #15

That last one with the blue water and a reflection is just superb. Great going Steve.
Raghu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2011, 4:01 PM   #16

Another great series of gulls, the 'Young Ring-billed Gull' is excellent

Thanks also for the heads up about Neat Image software.