Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 13, 2011, 4:03 AM   #1

Default RAW vegetable

Out of the blue, I was just curious to know what RAW was about and tested my FZ28 on a subject that was near at hand. The images presented here are two versions scaled to 640x485 through flickr, uploaded at 1024x768 processed with GIMP.

The original of this RAW image, 3664x2754 pixels, came to a whopping 11.8 MB, and has been reduced to 1.2 MB when converted to 1024x768 JPG. f4.5,1/200,ISO100.

The original of this was a JPG image of size 3648x2736 of 4.3MB size, comes to less than 500KB when scaled to 1024x768. f4.0,1/250, ISO 100.

Though the flower is beautiful and the vegetable juicy and delicious in both pictures, I think JPG will do for photo sharing and there is no need for RAW unless viewing in large scale is required.

Comments most welcome.

Raghu
Raghu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 13, 2011, 4:13 AM   #2

I generally do the same - Jpeg is enough - unless it's a really difficult scene when the extra information in RAW can be useful to get back detail in the shadows or highlights or correct the white balance. In this case, the jpeg was good enough so you didn't need the RAW.

I've also been experimenting with my camera settings to get better JPEGs and I think if you reduce the contrast (-1) and increase the sharpness(+2) in camera then the JPEGs retain more detail. The pictures come OOC a little flat but you have more to work with in PP.
MartinSykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2011, 5:28 AM   #3

Thank you Martin for your input. I want to get a more clear and sharp image of the moon straight OOC without a telephoto lens, and have tried several settings, but the results are not that good. I think my old FZ3 with ISO 80 gave a much better picture of the moon than what I get out of FZ28. Either that, or the atmosphere has got more polluted in the past few years! I keep trying.
Raghu
Raghu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2011, 12:32 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinSykes View Post
I generally do the same - Jpeg is enough - unless it's a really difficult scene when the extra information in RAW can be useful to get back detail in the shadows or highlights or correct the white balance. In this case, the jpeg was good enough so you didn't need the RAW.

I've also been experimenting with my camera settings to get better JPEGs and I think if you reduce the contrast (-1) and increase the sharpness(+2) in camera then the JPEGs retain more detail. The pictures come OOC a little flat but you have more to work with in PP.

Interesting and VERY helpful advice Martin.... I'll try'em the next time I'm out coz RAW is awesome but it sucks up a little too much time at times

In a relationship with a Panasonic Fz40
Hama Macro Filters (+1, +2, +4)

flickr
facebook
xHassan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2011, 9:48 AM   #5

Flowers look good Raghu. I shoot RAW quite often for my nature shots. In fact more often since I got Elements 9 as the RAW editing is very easy and fast, at least the minimal amount I do, and with Elements the picture goes right from the RAW editing to the regular Elements for final touches of any sort.