Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 6, 2012, 1:34 AM   #11

It's going to be difficult to significantly improve IQ at the same resolution with small size sensors that allow these extreme zoom levels at the current lens sizes.

Then again, there could be a whole different type of sensor on the horizon to make super high IQ possible. A disposable pocket camera might eventually blow away the IQ of today's best DSLR sensors -- yes, speaking strictly about sensors and not lenses.

Firmware updates may help matters somewhat. I suspect the successor to the FZ150 won't be a huge improvement if they keep it at 12.1MP at the current 1/2.33 sensor size.
Panny learned their lesson about increasing resolution with small sensors = lowering IQ/performance = poor sales of these bridge cameras.
My guess is that we'll see some additional features in the successor with minimal IQ improvement.

P. S. Amazon's current price: $629.99

Last edited by Lazy Lens; Jan 6, 2012 at 1:38 AM.
Lazy Lens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2012, 12:33 PM   #12

So I should consider myself lucky when I got my Fz 150 for $399 then
mistwalker1006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2012, 10:35 PM   #13

Looks like it's on the move again:

http://store.uniquephoto.com/e/index...5&zmap=PND1204
Old Feb 2, 2012, 1:46 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Lens View Post
back up from $399 to $450 at that site.. blah.. price seems firm nowadays; may as well wait & see what the next fz offers in about 5 months.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 10:05 PM   #15

Location: north eastern Michigan in a cedar swamp with DH and Luna and Ziggy
Default I want the FZ150, too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Lens View Post
back up from $399 to $450 at that site.. blah.. price seems firm nowadays; may as well wait & see what the next fz offers in about 5 months.
And it's still $449 today, 3 weeks later so I think it is stuck there for now.

All I know is, when I finally decided that to get what I wanted in a new camera; better low light performance and a longer lens I had to stop looking at only slightly more advanced point and shoots, and had to drop my preference for AA batteries. (sigh, now what am I going to do with all those eneloops and duracells?)

It wasn't until last week I'd even read about the FZ150, and the other similar cameras (yeah, shedding those AA blinders was eye-opening) and now I'm practically drooling. But $449 is a lot more than I really want to pay especially when I was originally thinking about a $200 p&s. And as I am living on a budget I'll just have to wait a while. It's gonna be hard though if I have to wait till it's been out a year and a follow-on is announced.

But till then I'll keep using my Panasonic LZ8 bought in December 2008. It's been a fine little camera for the most part, but attending my nephew's wedding reception Sunday and seeing the quality (or lack thereof) of the low light shots, I don't know if I can wait much longer. Plus the lens froze up on me twice so who knows how long its got left?

PS - Hi btw, generally I lurk, but DH is tired of hearing me wax on about this camera so I've decided I may as well spout to the choir.
MIMudPuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2012, 12:11 PM   #16
csa

I also missed out on the low pricing on the FZ150. Now, I'm also wondering what will be the next model out; and when it comes, perhaps the prices will drop some on the FZ150.

Until then, I do love my FZ40!

~Pentax K10D~
~FZ40~
csa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2012, 1:28 AM   #17

There's this: http://cavalcadeofdeals.com/p/1664/P...5UD50FB99.html

but I'm highly skeptical, as it's a new company and has essentially no reputation. They don't even have any contact info on their website.
If anyone takes the plunge, do let us all know if they're legit.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 3:42 AM   #18

Look here:

376 Australian dollar = 353,63 US Dollar

http://www.citiwideonline.com/au/ind...hk=1&Itemid=79

And for the reputation:

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/870901

Last edited by catalex54; Mar 8, 2012 at 10:30 AM.
catalex54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2012, 4:16 PM   #19

You could always buy the same camera under the Leica name with a little Leica sticky on it.

For $949.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2012, 1:30 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by catalex54 View Post
Look here:

376 Australian dollar = 353,63 US Dollar

http://www.citiwideonline.com/au/ind...hk=1&Itemid=79
meh... too many pitfalls for me (USA).
They're based in Hong Kong, operate out of Oz and run a website in the US. Too many cooks spoil the broth.

I also read their terms.
Often, when a store-only warranty is offered (in this case, only available in Oz and Kiwiland, at that), the item, though it can be new and legal, is white-boxed and/or in the grey market.

Also, no return if unsatisfied. I'll hold out for more accommodating US etailers, especially in light of the fact that I did return the first FZ28 unit I bought and got a hassle-free replacement.