Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 16, 2011, 4:40 PM   #1

Default FZ150: guess I shoulda bought it at $387.95

That was the going price for a few weeks as I watched to see if it'd eventually hit the sweet spot of $350-$375. Instead, it's jumped from $387.95 at Amazon to an insane $549.95, and to $419.95 at B&H.
Me and my frugalness.

This was to be my personal item and not a gift, so I'm not too devastated by the price hike.

Ya think there's any chance this one will hit the magical $350-$375 soon after Christmas? It sure looks like it won't drop that low before xmas.

Last edited by Lazy Lens; Dec 16, 2011 at 7:40 PM.
Lazy Lens is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 16, 2011, 4:55 PM   #2

I thought exactly the same thing LL. Kept watching just like you, and trying to be thrifty. I'm not in a hurry - I did decide to settle on a telephoto conversion lens (TCON) with Panasonic adapter for the FZ35. I found them with the help of someone on the forum the proper TCON on ebay - adapter from Amazon. The arrived in 3-4 days. I can use on an FZ150 as well.

The price will drop before long - personally I'd be patient.
Ev
Lumix_Learner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2011, 6:48 PM   #3

Yep LL- I'd go along with Mr Lumix and hang on in there... prices are WAY too high at present,and with sales of electronic items down by 10% pre Christmas,the prices will HAVE to drop...
By how much.... who can say...
Interestingly,the Canon SX40HS prices have climbed too....!

P.S.- spare a thought for us poor souls in the UK- we're paying the same in Pounds() for what you guys are paying in $...!
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2011, 7:48 PM   #4

Next camera I'm buying from the states. I bought mine for a whopping 520 euros, that's around 680 USD...
Old Dec 16, 2011, 7:53 PM   #5

From all the reviews I've read, it does look like the model I've been waiting for, though. I have the FZ28 and passed on its successors, as I anticipated the features I wanted would eventually make it to the FZ series if Panny didn't flat out cancel the series. They did, Panny didn't and I now consequently want the FZ150.

The only things missing are GPS, Wi-Fi and bluetooth, which are appearing in several brands already.

I doubt I'll wait it out for next year's model to find out, though. It's just a price point waiting game now. Panasonic will get my money... eventually... just a bit less of it.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 9:57 PM   #6

Quote:
"The only things missing are GPS, Wi-Fi and bluetooth"

Are you shopping for a camera- or a phone!?!? ;-)
Wes James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2011, 11:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes James View Post
Are you shopping for a camera- or a phone!?!? ;-)
Now that you mention it, the iPhone 4s has an 8MP camera & 1080p video, so they're becoming one in the same. Wonder how long it'll be before the iPhone has superzoom and RAW.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 11:33 AM   #8
csa

Yeah, I was planning on getting one for Christmas, but my local place here upped it to $429. So, I'm waiting for the price to drop after the Holiday.

~Pentax K10D~
~FZ40~
csa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2012, 12:18 PM   #9

hmmm... No impressive sales after Christmas, year end, inventory, New Year's. Hope we don't have to wait for the successor to be announced/released before we see FZ150 prices fall to at least pre-xmas figures.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 12:24 PM   #10
gordymohr

some interesting comments in this thread

After seeing quite a few posts of images made with brand new FZ150 cameras , I was beginning to think I was the only one who didnt get one!

I agree the price is too high for this cam, I dont think its that much of a leap in IQ over my FZ35, not enough to make we switch at the current price anyway.

Im wondering it there is much more room in a camera like the FZ150 to increase image quality? Will a successor be that much better than the current one?

To me, adding things like GPS, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth without significantly raising the image quality is no incentive for me to upgrade.

If Panasonic wants my money , theyve got to show me something better than what theyve got now