Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 20, 2011, 7:06 PM   #1

Default Pathfinder makes another visit - Part 1

This was an unexpected but very welcome surprise. I got a heads up the articulated tug and barge Dorothy Ann/Pathfinder were making another visit by hearing someone say on the scanner they were an hour out. I didn't hear it all, so I wasn't sure where they were an hour out from. I checked the live webcam for the harbor and sure enough she was heading in. I got in the car and quickly drove up to the marina. I got there just in time to see the Pathfinder coming through the lighthouse gap in the breakwall. It was getting dark, but there was enough light to get some decent photos. I hope you like them! This is one of the reasons I wanted a superzoom. It was bitterly cold with the wind. I was in such a hurry I didn't take any gloves or a hat. By the time I was done my hands felt like they were burning they were so cold. My poor FZ35 was starting to get cold, too. The LCD screen was starting to ghost pretty good. I got some video that I will try uploading later on.

The Pathfinder was heading in to unload coal at the Detroit Edison plant. This will probably be their last delivery to this area for the season.

This was just as I got there. I didn't notice the seagull until I got home!

After that shot I switched to 16:9 format.

I turned, and took this shot behind me. I liked the colors of the sky.

This is not a real good image, but I wanted to show it. I didn't notice the little boat until it was halfway down the length of the ship. It is the landing party to secure the ship to the dock.

JayC_783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 20, 2011, 11:33 PM   #2
csa

Great shots! My favorite is the last one; it really shows just how massive a ship it is!

~Pentax K10D~
~FZ40~
csa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2011, 4:07 PM   #3

Nice series JayC. How long do the shipping lanes usually stay open?

jj
Old Dec 21, 2011, 5:14 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by csa View Post
Great shots! My favorite is the last one; it really shows just how massive a ship it is!
The vessel as a whole is about 700' (the barge Pathfinder is about 600', and the tug Dorothy Ann is over 100'). I liked the last shot, too. I liked it enough to make it my wallpaper. Did you notice the guy standing at the very front? I didn't even notice him there until I looked at the photo when I got home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjdog2 View Post
Nice series JayC. How long do the shipping lanes usually stay open?

jj
Great Lakes ships usually sail around the schedule of the Soo Locks in Sault Ste. (pronounced Soo Saint) Marie, MI. The Locks close every year on January 15 and open March 25. A lot of ships will try to make it to the locks on opening day, and be there as close as possible on closing day.
JayC_783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2011, 6:04 PM   #5

Thank you for the info JayC.

jj