Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 18, 2012, 5:49 PM   #1

Default ARE THESE iA MODE STILLS UP TO SCRATCH

Personaly i dont think the stills i take with my FZ 150 look as good as the majority i see shown even stills shown taken in auto mode,interested what are opinions would i be better using another photo mode on shots like these.

chrishull3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 19, 2012, 12:21 AM   #2

try program. it seems to do better for most users, and allows you more control should you need it.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2012, 2:24 PM   #3

You might want to set the AF to center spot (single). It looks like the camera is not selecting the focus where you wish.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2012, 5:38 PM   #4

[QUOTE=Tullio;1279484]You might want to set the AF to center spot (single). It looks like the camera is not selecting the focus where you wish.[/QUOT

Interesting but i cant agree on the whole because on all exept no 2 was focus not spot too my eyes.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 3:20 PM   #5

As you move away from the main subject, the camera will treat all focus points about the same and since you have a larger DoF, you won't see much difference.

On the first shot the behind of the dear is more in focus than the face of the other dear (to my eyes at least) and I think that's because the back of dear is slightly closer to the camera.

Tullio
Old Jan 21, 2012, 4:54 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
As you move away from the main subject, the camera will treat all focus points about the same and since you have a larger DoF, you won't see much difference.

On the first shot the behind of the dear is more in focus than the face of the other dear (to my eyes at least) and I think that's because the back of dear is slightly closer to the camera.
Well thats AF at full zoom,so i guess some part had to be fractionaly better focused but i would be reasonably happy if my stills were on par with it, what i wish is that my FZ had easy to use MF like every camcorder and stills camera i have always previously had.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 11:16 AM   #7

Unless the camera offers MF by having a lens with a focus ring (like the Fuji HS20), MF becomes somewhat of a pain (IMO of course)

Tullio
Old Jan 21, 2012, 3:18 PM   #8

These are pretty good images.

Focus, to me is not too bad, but as others have said, spot focus helps to make your area of interest (the deer) stand out by being the prime focus point.

The other point to remember is that most images on here have had some form of post processing to adjust color saturation / exposure level / sharpness.

You can also check in the menu how the "picture adjust" is set

contrast =0
sharpness = +1
saturation = +1
noise reduction = -2

These are not hard and fast rules, just what people here have found to give them there desired results... try and see if they match what your looking for.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 5:04 PM   #9

Thanks for the replys,i have the FZ set to what picture adjust settings i like and as i use it most for video the settings look good on video,i hope to get better stills in time,as said manual focus without a manual focus ring lens is bound to be difficult.