Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 20, 2012, 10:49 AM   #11

I have no lighting other than what is on the fz38. I was thinking of setting up a lamp at home and playing around with that for the high key and see what happens.
I will keep your post though and play with that too for the low key so that was good to know - thanks.

Panasonic FZ200 + Panasonic FZ38 + Macro & Tele Kit (DMW-LC55 + DMW-LT55 + DMW-LA5) Canon 60D +18-55mm lens+ 70-300mm lens.
eysha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2012, 10:50 AM   #12
Super Moderator

If you go for that then you will want 2 stops more light on the back than on the subject so a couple of powerful lights on a light coloured wall plus something a little less powerful on the subject, that should fix it.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 10:54 AM   #13

3 lights then? Well it will be interesting to play around with tomorrow after uni.

Also trying to get to grips with focal length v shutter spped.
I understand to get a non-blurred photo you should use a shutter speed at least the same as the focal length you are using - more confussion,lol.

Panasonic FZ200 + Panasonic FZ38 + Macro & Tele Kit (DMW-LC55 + DMW-LT55 + DMW-LA5) Canon 60D +18-55mm lens+ 70-300mm lens.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 11:04 AM   #14
Super Moderator

Well, that's the guide, but if you have IS on your camera which I think you do then it's not so bad. Also if you are using low light you will be better off with a tripod (if you have one) to keep things still so you don't have to go to crazy high ISO settings.

I will be honest, without flash units it is pretty hard so don't be too disheartened. I was using 4 studio flash units for the shots I posted above (well for the high key). The low key is just 2 but should have been 3 to put some light in from behind onto the subject. Don't worry about it too much for now
Old Jan 20, 2012, 11:10 AM   #15

I have a tripod, a cheapy but it works,lol. Just looked at your blog and web site, wow, you must have some serious equipment, lovely shots. Egypt must have been great to see.
I will play around and see what happens, it is al learning even when i get things wrong, and i nearly always do,lol.

Old Jan 20, 2012, 11:11 AM   #16
Super Moderator

Let's just say I have a few toys LOL.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 11:13 AM   #17

I bet you have,lol. Now if you want to pass on any old ones....

Old Jan 20, 2012, 11:55 PM   #18

G'day eysha

Many households have bedlamps / office desk lamps which have lo-voltage bulbs inside a flexible head arrangement. Maybe you have something like this...?

If so, you will find it plenty bright enough for some mucking around at home - either shine directly onto the subject or bounce off a 20" x 24" white cardboard OR even glue some crumpled alfoil onto one side of the cardboard and bounce off that !!!

ISO 400-800 probably needed, WB= Tungsten light definately needed, maybe after a good dinner + a glass or two of a good wine??? too

Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2012, 11:31 AM   #19

Thanks Phil, i will keep the settings in mind for tomorrow. I played a bit today so going to post for comments.