Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 19, 2012, 10:27 AM   #1

Default High Key question

Anyone know of any good tutorials for High Key photography BUT using photoshop 7 - that's all i have so the newer versions of photoshop are no good to me.
Thanks
E.

Panasonic FZ200 + Panasonic FZ38 + Macro & Tele Kit (DMW-LC55 + DMW-LT55 + DMW-LA5) Canon 60D +18-55mm lens+ 70-300mm lens.
eysha is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 19, 2012, 2:40 PM   #2

Here's a bunch

https://www.google.com/search?q=High...ient=firefox-a

Have Fun - Be Nice - Don't Break Anything
Clint501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2012, 5:10 PM   #3

Thanks Clint, been through all of those ones and none fit what i am looking for unfortunately. I spent the aftenoon looking on google search etc but none for photoshop7, all for more advanced ones that i don't have.
Would like to know ow to do high key.

Panasonic FZ200 + Panasonic FZ38 + Macro & Tele Kit (DMW-LC55 + DMW-LT55 + DMW-LA5) Canon 60D +18-55mm lens+ 70-300mm lens.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 6:15 PM   #4
Super Moderator

High key isn't really about editing in software, it is about a style of shooting, either against a lit white background or the sky, anything where the background is blown out to white when the subject is exposed correctly.

This is a high key image

and this is a low key

Old Jan 20, 2012, 7:22 AM   #5

Thanks Mark, i saw a high key photo and liked it and wondered how to do it. I thought it would be much more complicated than that though.
Nice shots of the kids and nice kids too, i take it they are yours?
I like the low key one of that very handsome young man.

Old Jan 20, 2012, 7:28 AM   #6
Super Moderator

Glad to have helped. Nope, not my kids, these are from a family shoot I did over Christmas. I'm liking low key at the moment more than high, it is more moody and less often done which is cool.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 7:40 AM   #7

Does the background have to go to black/white? I read a description somewhere that said basically for high-key you expose for the shadows and don't wory if the highights are clipped and for low-key you expose for the highlights and don't worry if the shadows are clipped.

Mark - I remember seeing some of your shots outdoors on another thread of a child under a tree I think. The background contained a lot of blown white but also areas of bright colour where it wasn't actually clipped. It looked really good but does that 'count' as high-key or not?
MartinSykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2012, 8:00 AM   #8
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinSykes View Post
Does the background have to go to black/white? I read a description somewhere that said basically for high-key you expose for the shadows and don't wory if the highights are clipped and for low-key you expose for the highlights and don't worry if the shadows are clipped.

Mark - I remember seeing some of your shots outdoors on another thread of a child under a tree I think. The background contained a lot of blown white but also areas of bright colour where it wasn't actually clipped. It looked really good but does that 'count' as high-key or not?
Doesn't have to be fully black or fully white (ie 0,0,0 and 255, 255, 255) but it is when the general look is approaching this. You are right about the sort of shot where you have the subject shaded from the sun (under a tree) and the background is being hit fully by the light.

This gives a little more info http://www.ephotozine.com/article/hi...tutorial-13881
Old Jan 20, 2012, 9:41 AM   #9

Thanks Mark, i just read that article and it is interesting but, of course, i don't have that kind of lighting set-up so i am a bit stuck. However, i will still give it a go and see what happens.
I too prefer the low key ones, more moody and mysterious and interesting i think.
You took good photos and the kids are still handsome whoever they belong to, lol.

Old Jan 20, 2012, 10:41 AM   #10
Super Moderator

What lighting (if any) do you have? If you have one external flash then you are good to go for low key, you want to use quite a lot of power close to the subject with the dark background quite a long way away, this will then mean you get a good black background. You are best to find a way to soften the light as it is going to be harsh so shooting through some fabric or spend a few $$$ and get a proper shoot through umbrella and flash adaptor. It will really help your photography grow if you want to do this sort of thing.