Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 1, 2012, 7:47 PM   #11

Thanks for the info Phil - do you know if that applies to the fz40 as well?

Sony NEX-5, Panasonic fz40
BackyardPermaculture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2012, 2:42 PM   #12

G'day all

The adapter tube is necessary as Panasonic made the body to accessory thread approx 56mm diameter to prevent dudes like us from putting a filter onto the body before powering 'on', thus causing the lens to jam as it rolled into the taking position if we had done that - make sense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by saly View Post
Ah, didn't know about the filter attachment. ... But also keep in mind that using the adapter also acts as an extension tube and adds magnification to the diopter.
@Saly - "adds magnification to the diopter" not sure about this - it's a new one on me~ I can't see how the accessory tube can alter a lenses 'strength' ... more info needed pl

Certainly I left the adapter tube on all the time as it became a very useful lens-hood, but with her FZ28 & my FZ35, we each had the accessory tube and shared a collection of 55mm filters and closeup lenses

The FZ28 takes 46mm filters directly onto the lens barrel, and it will withdraw on power-off into the camera body without jamming tho I never tried the FZ35 as I had the tube + all the 55mm stuff

Couple of months ago the FZ28 went for an unintended swim - which is why we now have the FZ100, and the FZ35 has gone to a newbie as an xmas pressy ... so right now I can only use the FZ100 as a sample

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackyardPermaculture View Post
Thanks for the info Phil - do you know if that applies to the fz40 as well?
@BP - can't answer at the moment mate ... sorry but if it also shares the 24x lens then i would presume 99% for it to be the same as the FZ100 arrangement

Bottom line here - for us, we put 52mm filters & close up lenses directly onto the FZ100 lens barrel just like any SLR lens would receive them
However, if/when using the 0,7x Wide Angle accessory lens [big & heavy thing] it goes on via the accessory tube so that the weight of the lens is held via the camera body, not the movable lens barrel. We don't have the 1,7x Tele Converter as we use Ezy-zoom for extra zoom stuff

Hope this helps a bit
Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2012, 4:36 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie_Traveller View Post
@Saly - "adds magnification to the diopter" not sure about this - it's a new one on me~ I can't see how the accessory tube can alter a lenses 'strength' ... more info needed pl
Regards, Phil
Here you go: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extension_tube

Panasonic FZ150, FZ35 and GF1; Nikonos V when underwater

~~Art is in the eye of the camera holder~~
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2012, 3:03 PM   #14

G'day Saly

Thanks for the ref to extension tubes - I am well aware of them and have been using them since the 1960s

Extension tubes are wonderful things - but only useful for SLR cameras
When you remove the camera lens and insert an extension tube, you force the camera lens further and further away from the focal plane, thus you also force it to focus closer than it was doing beforehand

The amount of focus change depends upon the mm's of the lens vs the mm's of the extension tube > with the end result that "when the extension equals the focal length of the lens, the lens is at 1:1 [life sze] image ratio"

I used to love putting 60mm of tubes onto my 28mm wide angle lens to get 2x life size images, but as it also gave a DoF of maybe 1/16inch at f22, it wasn't all that exciting at times

Extension tubes can be used with zoom lenses, but if you zoom at all, the ratio of mm's alters, so the focus alters & the camera to subject distance alters > meaning that the whole shooting match goes bezerk

With the Panny [and canon and kodak etc] fixed-lens superzoom cameras with zoom lenses that move in & out during zooming, it is not possible to use [the above] extension tubes, so we need to use Close-Up Lenses

The curvature of the closeup lens determines the 'strength' or Dioptre of the lens, and the focal length / focus of the lens comes from that curvature. Because the zoom lens is moving in & out slightly, the adapter tube holds the closeup lens in place for the camera to make use of

It cannot alter the dioptre of the lens as that is the curvature of the glass side of things

While the focal length of the lens is fixed by the curvature, the fact that the camera lens has some focus in/out abilities means that we can refocus / or fine-tune the focus when using close up lenses - the distance is not fixed-in-concrete as it were, thus we can make great use of them almost at any time

I hope that this is helpful and not too long-winded
Regards, Phil
Old Feb 3, 2012, 4:27 PM   #15

Ah, OK! I've also used extension tubes when I shoot macro underwater. I figured since the LC55 (a lens essentially?) attaches to the tube, the theory would be same. So, if I get a step-up ring and attach the LC55 (not recommended), I would get the same magnification?

Panasonic FZ150, FZ35 and GF1; Nikonos V when underwater

~~Art is in the eye of the camera holder~~
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2012, 12:20 PM   #16

G'day Saly

You're introducing some new thoughts into the equation here - but the LC55 or indeed any +2 dioptre close up lens can be used with any camera lens - be is a prime (simgle focus) or a zoom (multi focus) lens ... whether it screws directly onto the camera lens of needs step up ringe should not matter to this exercise

Regards, Phil